Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Transmission ID - What is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Dec 27, 2021.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

I got this in a trade deal, but don't really know what it is, or if I should keep it.

I was told it was a three speed with electric solenoid operated overdrive.

What is it? What's it worth?

tranny4.jpg tranny1.jpg tranny2.jpg tranny3.jpg

2. dwollam

dwollam

Flathead Merc.

Dave

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  3. jaracer

jaracer

It looks like a 3 speed OD, but I don't see the OD solenoid. It would be behind the shifter if it is still there.

4. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, it’s Mercury, ‘49-‘51 with a Borg-Warner R-10 OD.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like someone removed the OD solenoid so thjey could mount the floor shift conversion. The solenoid wants to live right where the shift linkage is now. I have a Fenton shifter for one of these, and the shifter mechanism sits quite a bit higher in order to clear the solenoid. It would function just like a straight 3 speed transmission with the overdrive locked out.

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

Is it a desirable setup?

What's it worth?

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Isn't that the solenoid on the right side of the tailshaft housing?

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Sell it and buy another girlfriend to go with the one you got.:p Luv your avataur!

Seriously though, should be desirable to someone with a flathead but doubt you want it behind any decent OHV engine......and it would require adaption anyway. Just not enough torque capacity in those old trans. Much better to adapt something with overdrive out of a later model.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, 51 had the small 4 bolt pattern, like a 49-64 Ford Pass. 51 Merc bellhousings are special and rare, as they have the early cross shaft throwout bearing setup.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Marty is right. It's a 49-50 Merc o/d with the solenoid removed. Might be worth a little more then a Ford of the same era (around here the Fords go for around $150-$200 complete), the missing solenoid detracts from the overall price.

That's the governor.

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Can that top shift mechanism be used with any early Ford side shift transmission?

12. jaracer

jaracer

Govenor.

13. Fordors

Fordors

I believe it was the early ‘51 Merc’s that had the cross shaft with the bell housing shown in the OP’s post. That bell bolted to the flywheel housing that also held the starter. The late ‘51 Mercury used a bell housing that bolted directly to the block and had a fork, not a cross shaft.
    Those are my recollections from working on the ‘49-‘57 Fords and Mercury’s the guys I hung with drove in the early ‘60’s, but I could be mistaken.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

'49 - '50 Mercury. These are getting scarce. By modifying the rear cross member/motor mount you can use these in a '40 - 48 Ford or Mercury passenger car. Probably in earlier models too. Rear axle must be converted to open drive or modifications made to use a later rear end. Makes a nice setup.

Hnstray, seb fontana and Andy like this.
  15. desotot

desotot

I need that tranny but the shipping cost would be expensive.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Early ‘51 Mercs used the same as ‘49/‘50 style bell housing and trans case as shown. Somewhere through the model year they were replaced by the Ford style transmission case and a sort of hybrid bell housing that DID have the pivoting cross shaft throw as used in the earlier version as shown in OP’s post but bolted directly to the block. I have actual hands on experience with this particular situation.

Ray

Fordors, ekimneirbo and stillrunners like this.
  17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have that exact transmission but need to find or make a floorshift for it. Thanks for the good pictures!

18. Mac VP

Mac VP

It’s been correctly identified as a 49-50 (and early ‘51) Mercury overdrive transmission with a Hurst, or similar type, aftermarket shifter assembly. I does appear that the shifter may have been for the non-overdrive version of the transmission as it’s hard to tell if the electric solenoid could fit behind the shifter mounting bracket. The solenoid would normally angle downward and could possibly miss hitting the bracket…..it’s just hard to tell from your pictures. If you were to put the solenoid in place to complete it as a functional overdrive transmission, you’d probably have to make some modifications to the bracket and the two shifter rods in order to clear the solenoid. Hurst did make a kit designed just for this application but finding one of those with all the parts could be a frustrating exercise, even with the help of the internet. It would probably be easier to make the needed modifications yourself. This unit is a fairly popular swap into the typical 1948-52 Ford F-1 pickups. If you have a-50-52 F-1 with the steering column shift, it’s practically a bolt up and go. The only mods for the F-1 are the rear motor mount and having to have a new driveshaft made up.