Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thanks for posting all this. While I personally can't use the info, it's still very interesting to see & learn. Glad you're getting the hemi back together.
    Marcus...

2. I think that describes the majority of this thread for most on the hamb.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

It's just so interesting (amazing) to see what you have to go through to run something at this level! A level on the street that's mind boggling.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Brian;
    While there are some very good threads, & I do mean very good, on this board, I think this one is the most interesting & detailed one here. Partly due to the way you write, & the good detail of the pics, it feels like we have a seat right next to you, & are getting things "live". :) . & no matter what anybody says, there's nothing here that's "cookie-cutter", or "seen-it-all-before", or boring, :) . Meeting you in person during the Btt50's just reinforced the perception into reality. :D . The neat thing is, the thought process + detail/quality you manifest into reality can be applied to anything else.
    Marcus...

5. im very fortunate to have some friends that have some great skills. my buddy roger performed his machining magic. my other friend scott did the welding. these guys were part of the dale shur orange crate crew based in cedar falls iowa. we all spent many hot days working together on the dragster. when you spend time like that with a top team life long friendships are made. as a crew we fought side by side to field a dominate car. We all had our individual talents. so when a large project such as this presents itself the challenge is met with the same determination to succeed. we are still a team.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  6. My friend and neighbor Jim Barton stopped by a few weeks ago. I mentioned i needed a wrist pin checker. He is a tool and die maker so he said let me see what i can come up with. Today he stopped by with this. Its so nice. He said Merry Christmas. All the flat surfaces were ground. Its a piece of jewelry. The pics dont do it justice. 20211222_175914.jpg 20211222_175907.jpg

7. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Wow, you've got good friends there! So tired of flimsy tools. That ought to do it.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That is a really ugly pin :D

Stogy, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  9. And its bent .003 i have new pistons and pins on order.

Stogy, TFoch, mad mikey and 1 other person like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As a retired machinist I can say unequivocally that this took much more than a couple hours of work.
    Some good friends you have Brian!

Stogy, TFoch, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  11. He certainly went above and beyond what needed to be done. He is very proud of what he made and im very proud to own it. Jim is 76 and still works part time at a machine shop. He takes pride in everything he does. This tool will last me a life time.

12. Great when you find people that take pride in their work! Doesn't happen enough today.

loudbang, old chevy, racer-x and 4 others like this.
  13. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Are you looking to do Chaos w this combination? Exhibition? Fun w/ nitro in and of itself? Drag racing is goal oriented, what are your goals with this?

14. The goal has been achieved. That was to build a six second street car on nitro. It needed to be able to go from gas to nitro then back to gas without shutting off the engine. It can do this seamlessly. The only goal left is to go 200mph. Its gone 189 so far.

15. loudbang

loudbang

Did you not read the whole thread and Drag Week coverage last year???

16. I am sure with the right track conditions and everything working the 200mph is obtainable. Merry Christmas Brian.

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It's just a matter of time! No doubt in my mind that you will achieve that goal as well.

racer-x, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  18. Well I'd go with time and money, Nitro racing ain't cheap or forgiving.

19. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

No

20. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Gotcha! Good luck w your project.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Note to yourself, in the future at least peruse the thread enough to have an idea what is going on before posting a comment! :confused:

22. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Not a comment, a question: I see a “nitro racing lessons” thread on the HAMB, left field for sure- wondering what the goal of this project is. I’ll head over to some nitro racing forums and shut up. Apologies, carry on.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. rlsteel

rlsteel

Dawsons demon 30 years ago

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. rlsteel

rlsteel

25. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Proud American, 1975- what are we doing here?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember that. Run that track, kinda miss it.

27. I saw the Demon run several times at different tracks. It was a iron 392 on a big load. Always entertaining. The fire burned the car to the ground. The remains still exist. They keep saying it might be rebuilt.
    The video is a perfect example why im so crazy about my fire safety. Nitro is no joke.

28. 20220115_170644.jpg Getting some things done on a cold day. My buddie Roger Lechtenburg dropped off the freshly machined heads Thursday. I put them together by the fireplace today.
    Over the off season i upgraded the bellhousing to a Browell. Its been upgraded with a right sided starter pocket and a relief to get at the converter bolts. It has a fresh recert and is ready to go. The 360 degree protection is way better than the open bottom Bruno unit.
    With the huge bolt together aluminum converter the more square shaped browell fits better. The Bruno tapers alot in the back creating clearance issues. Stay warm everyone. 20220115_165421.jpg 20220115_170516.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    RustyDogg, enloe, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  29. I picked up the block from the machine shop. The align bore was checked do to the welding. It checked out perfect. The two new sleeves were finish honed and the other six were lightly hit for a new cross hatch.
    When the cam broke it screwed up the cam bearing bores on 4 and 5. I brought it to tnt in gurnee Illinois. They have the special boring tools to machine the cam bores oversize. Bearings were purchased. 020 over. It wont be long before it goes back together. Like a shark move forward or die.

30. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

image.png Hard to believe it's been that long since the demon burned