Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bitch a lot buddy but other than the huge mess in my shop, and the time it is taking, and the expense, I'm actually enjoying this a bit.

Wow, and all caps! Thank you for the compliment , now get back to work on your truck! :cool:

2. John McLeod

John McLeod
    from Boyne City

We would love to see photos of the finished car [email protected]

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. John McLeod

John McLeod
    from Boyne City

We would enjoy seeing photos when your car is done!!!

Thank you for choosing Classic Instruments for your "Finishing Touch."

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As do we John, if we could just get Billy to stop polishing stuff!

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, you can count on it John. That is a cool little clock and it should really make this truck tick...so to speak.

Now where is the fun in that Douglas? :cool:

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Polishing is dirty work but sanding makes me thirsty. I purchased my paint and clear so I have the tech sheets to tell me how fine to sand it out. Poly blocked with 180, guide coat on and sanded to 220. Still need to go to 320 and then 400. I hate this part.

On a bright note box number one (a blower fan) of my inflatable paint booth showed up today, the other two (another fan and the bouncy house) must be right behind.
    upload_2021-12-1_12-59-51.png

flynbrian48, Stogy, hotrodA and 4 others like this.
  7. Looking at this photo and thinking in my head. How's he going to paint the bolt flange where he has the fenders bolted to the plywood? Then I notice the very nice shape of the wood that matches fender shape. Just hang the fenders to the other side of the wood, well planned out Billy.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

So what did you end up buying?

Stogy, loudbang, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, yeah…that’s what I was thinking all along.

I bought a 25’x15’x10’ inflatable booth. Has a mixing room, washable/replaceable flutters, one fan to keep it inflated and one to ventilate, clear roof panels to allow light in and hooks to hang parts out more lights from. $700. Made just west of California who knows what variant I’ll unwrap.

Stogy, hotrodA, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sorry, I meant what did you decide on the paint?

Stogy, Bandit Billy, fauj and 2 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahso, I went with Lumabase Jet black and thier top of the line 3000 series clear coat. Mid temp reducer as I have a heated garage and can maintain 70 degrees. All in with reducer and hardeners, sand paper, shoot suit, and misc I spent $900! :eek:

With the paint booth, new Iwata gun, electronic air drier and paint/primer supplies I have spent just over $3000 on this project so far.

Doing it yourself and having it turn out looking like a pro did it? Priceless. :cool:

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

You would pay a lot more than that to farm it out and be at the mercy of someone else’s timeline. At least this way, you can always fire yourself, if you run over on the schedule.

Tim, Stogy, fauj and 4 others like this.
  13. "I bought a 25’x15’x10’ inflatable booth. Has a mixing room, washable/replaceable flutters, one fan to keep it inflated and one to ventilate, clear roof panels to allow light in and hooks to hang parts out more lights from. $700. Made just west of California who knows what variant I’ll unwrap."
    I would be interested in your opinion of this once you've used it. I planned to build one but this sounds like a viable alternative. Being able to deflate and store would be a big benefit also. Space is always a premium.
    Following along on the project, love that body style.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  14. Money well spent.

Stogy, loudbang, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fire moi? Quite the contrary, I think I deserve a nice Christmas bonus for all the hard work!

I will do so. I have a few buddies waiting on the review as well. I didn't like the chinese manufacturer and the chinese emails that I couldn't read ( I think they were shipping updates). I bought it through pay pal so I would have a chance of recovering my money if it was a scam. For the price it beats draping plastic all over my garage and it should be a much cleaner environment to shoot in.

All of the reviews were positive on the booth except for one guy that bought the cheaper one that doesn't have replaceable filters. And all of the reviews said it would not go bag in the storage bag so they bought plastic totes to store it in which I plan to do.

We will know that soon enough my friend!

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now you have a safe place to store your other inflatables!:eek:

Stogy, Hotrodmyk, fauj and 4 others like this.
  17. :eek::confused::D:)

.. the replies in this thread, always crack me TF up. LMAO

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She pissed me off so I put her in an old HAMB t-shirt, filled her with helium and sent her adrift. Last time I heard a Mountie spotted her up around Banff

nosford, Stogy, tomkelly88 and 4 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to take a bit of time off for my birthday but I am back at it. Everything is now blocked down with 220, tomorrow I start the 320. The guide coat easily sanded away. I think I have it straight finally.
    upload_2021-12-20_20-12-49.png
    Sure doesn't look like much but crap, I am tired of sanding! I don't remember what a clean garage floor looks like.
    upload_2021-12-20_20-14-42.png
    The roof came out very nice. It had some sizable dents, very happy with the results
    upload_2021-12-20_20-16-2.png
    Jams, dash, cowl and firewall are in 220 as well.
    upload_2021-12-20_20-17-25.png
    Here is a bit of a problem solved. These are the lower bed fillers that I had louvered. They are side specific and somehow one of them got punched going the wrong direction (the louvers are canted to match the hood layout I did). Out with the cut off wheel and welder, chop the ends off and switch them...problem solved. All is right with the world.
    upload_2021-12-20_20-19-49.png

upload_2021-12-20_20-20-25.png

Shadow Creek, The 39 guy, Tim and 6 others like this.
  20. Good catch on the bed filler panel.
    Can you see the faint light at the end of the tunnel yet?..it will only get brighter from here on in.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure if it is light I see or if I am possibly developing an brain tumor from all this sanding dust. One more dry sand out out and then I can at least switch to some wet sanding and give my lungs a break Too think I quit smoking so I could live longer.

22. Happy belated birthday!
    Try to keep the bondo dust out of the cake and ice cream.

Merry Christmas to you and your sweetie!

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same to you @hotrodA , what say we finish a couple of trucks in 2022?

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Merry Christmas and get that 41 finished up, I'm looking forward to seeing it all prettied up. You should be wearing a dust mask when dry sanding! My sister used to live in Battle Ground.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If she still did I could put her to work!

The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

You are one patient man. I am living vicariously through you. I am doing house renovations…..yuck. Building cabinets is way worse than block sanding.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

She passed away about 10 years ago.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree. I am a horrible woodworker, way too many bolts and washers

I am sorry to hear that Dick.

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looking great! I came to loathe blocking primer, seemed like I was never gonna finish the roadster. Merry Christmas!

Bandit Billy likes this.