Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rosie The Red 40

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lakeside65, Dec 14, 2021.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking little car. Stick with your plans and you will be good to go.

-Abone.

Lakeside65 and guthriesmith like this.
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way, if you make it to the HAMB Drags next year, I'll buy you a cold beer.

-Abone.

Lakeside65 and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have been doing 40's (and other fat fendered Ford) chassis stuff for a long time. If you have any questions or need any help, give me a shout. That is a good looking sedan. Talk to Big Mac 48 about what we did for his 40 Tudor.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I'm kinda partial to red 40s! Nice car! Congratulations!

5. Nice...and welcome to the sedan side !

Lakeside65 likes this.
  6. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Yep , that's about where mine started ,like the changes ,upgrades Dale, Weedburner 40 did for me . Here's a couple red ones and mine from start to now , enjoy that 40 very nice and great story .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    rc57, roddering, hotrodharry2 and 8 others like this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Drive it for a while first so you can enjoy it and get a handle on what it may need.

straykatkustoms, Stogy, clem and 2 others like this.
  8. Ok, I gotta know what tipped you off as an "early" 40? Yes, it has the flip up ashtrays, but what was interesting to me is that the window bugs said 3/40 which seems too be later than the Decemberish timeframe that I had always heard was when they changed the ashtray design.

Stogy, The 39 guy and Lakeside65 like this.
  9. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I'm with 19Fordy, good advice , drive and enjoy ,it'yours now !!!

Lakeside65 likes this.
  10. Congrats! I have a 39 Deluxe and built a 40 standard tudor a few years ago. And yes, I'd also love to know how to spot an early 40 other than the ashtrays.. @olscrounger IMG_2758.jpg

11. 4tford

4tford

Nice car, I like the tudor for the room for the family. Enjoy it.

Lakeside65 likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Stogy, The 39 guy, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  13. Toms Dogs, bchrismer and Lakeside65 like this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could tell by looking at the grille side panels as 19Fordy mentioned unless they had been changed. Don't think they wasted anything. Early coupes have a trunk inner structure like a 39 but have seen orig ones that were later with this style decklid-we have had two coupes with the early decklid-have a dlx now like that and the early side panels as well--think it's maybe nov/dec 39 . Just saw an old orig one with this style of decklid but some features of the later designs too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  15. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Thanks everybody for the compliments and advice! I finally made it over to the shop this evening for the first time since I got the car home to check a few things and take some photos for you all. Of course, my phone died as soon as I got there. The car fired right up so I let it warm up and idle for awhile, I love to listen to the old flatty. It is so quiet and smooth. It has a decent puddle of gear oil under the banjo that needs to be addressed at some point, but I expected something like that. I double checked the coolant to make sure it was actually coolant and not water and was happy to see a green liquid in the radiator. I've got the front drop axle and spindles on order as well as some rear suspension parts, as well as wheels and tires to change the look up a bit. My plan is to pick a weekend in January and gather a couple buddies to help get the suspension parts installed. I'm looking forward to making some changes as well as learning more about this old car. Thank you all for following along, and stayed tuned for some progress updates!

16. Thanks to you and 19Fordy for teaching me something new about '40 Fords. That was a detail I hadn't learned before.

hotrodharry2, Stogy and Dan Hay like this.
  17. brady1929

brady1929

Very nice. Congratulations.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Sounds like a good plan and plenty of help . Enjoy .

Stogy likes this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Be sure and fix that banjo oil leak right away as it's a ton of
    work and $$ to repair or replace a 40 rear. When you remove the bolts that secure the torque tube
    to the banjo make sure they go back in the same holes and DO NOT use a tap or die to "chase" or clean IMG_0409b.jpg IMG_7477.JPG the threads as those bolts have a special class fit. Just wash them off with carb cleaner. There is a gasket that will need replacing. I made my own gasket. You can replace gasket without removing the rear end but, you have to cut the gasket at the top and install it with the cut at the top so it won't leak.. Use non hardening Permatex to reinstall the gasket. 2nd photo shows original factory safety wire. 1st photo is 2017 redo.

20. alchemy

alchemy

The torque tube gasket is just a thin gasket, but be aware the side housing gaskets are also special thickness shims. If replacing make sure to install the exact same thickness.

roddering and Stogy like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Alchemy's info. about the side gaskets is solid gold. Don't unbolt the side housings
    if you don't need to. The thickness of those gaskets controls rear end tolerances. It's not just a matter of remove and replace.
    Read all the "banjo related rear end" threads here.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search.php?searchid=26036729

Stogy likes this.
  22. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

C8BB1154-0637-4AFA-9F58-ACDAF1C0AB0B.jpeg Thanks for the info on the banjo gaskets. I need to get under there with some brake cleaner and figure out exactly where it’s leaking from. Hopefully it is something simple!

I did get to put about 20 miles on the car today just cruising around town. The car did great! I’m still learning all the quirks it has and I did have a funny run in with a highway patrol who didn’t seem to mind that I had no license plates and no brake lights lol he just smiled and waved me on. I’ve got a good list of parts ordered that I am anxious to get started on. One place I am stumped at the moment is tube shocks. We’ve got the front upper brackets but I am struggling the find the 2” shackles with a shock stud built in. I’m also struggling to decide on what kind of mounts I want to do on the rear. I’m not a huge fan of the shock angle that comes with the brackets that bolt onto the brake backing plate. What have you guys done with your tube shock setups??

Also, I did snag one new photo of the car today while it was warming up to head to breakfast.

23. Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Stogy, Hamtown Al and Lakeside65 like this.
  24. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Stogy likes this.
  25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lakeside, 1940 Ford DELUXE cars came with a front sway bar. If your 40 still has the sway bar make sure the tube shock kit you use will bolt up and not interfere with your sway bar. The sway bar also uses a different perch bolt.
    Call Pete and Jakes and make sure their set up will fit a 1940 Ford with a sway bar. Here's a bunch of photos of an early tube shock kit made during the 1960's. You might want to consider leaving the OEM shocks on the rear as the OEM leaf spring is so stiff that you won't notice much a difference with tube shocks. Drive it for a while and make that rear tube shock decision later. You may be better off adjusting your rear shocks or having them rebuilt. I know there was a fellow on Fordbarn who did rebuild the OEM shocks. As a side note: 1940 Ford Deluxe cars came with springs that were wrapped in thin metal galvanized covers. Standards had no covers. Also, start buying some 1940 Ford reference books for your library. Good luck.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy, Jacksmith, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  26. The other biggest improvement to mine, (something for you to ponder) is upgrading the front brakes to Lincoln or 50's-60's F100. They are self energizing drum brakes. You can also get them in self adjusting as well. I'm sure there are multiple places to get these, but here's one. Brian Bass @Bass can set you up. https://www.instagram.com/wilson.welding/?hl=en

The conversion is bolt-on, except you'll have to grind the tops of the spindles to clear the backing plate. My car stops really good for non-power drum brakes.

One more thing: they make an adapter to install a more modern two pot master cylinder to your pedals. Do that too. Most guys use a late 60's mustang drum-drum MC, but I believe there's also an AMC version that's basically the same MC except the ports are on the other side which makes routing the brake lines easier in your application. I found this out AFTER I ran the brake lines on mine. The Mustang MC ports are inboard and you have close clearance to the X member in the frame.

Stogy, Lakeside65, joel and 1 other person like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

I would recommend doing all your lowering operations before you install any different shocks. Clearances and angles will be drastically different after reveresed eye springs and dropped axles are in there.

28. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking sedan. Enjoy.

Lakeside65 likes this.
  29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lakeside, Dan's Bendix brake install is a great idea. It's not cheap. If you do decide to use the aftermarket Bendix kits now available be very wary of the aftermarket rear wheel bearings as they have been reported to be of inferior quality and literally break apart. REUSE you Ford OEM bearings. Also, read all you can find on Fordbarn and HAMB about both the Wilson welding kits and the the Bolling Bros. Bendix conversion kits. Start here:
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search.php?searchid=26043799
    One last thought. Slow down and find out what your 40 may need BEFORE you begin massive suspension changes.
    Drive your car and then start making changes, if needed. One change leads to another and then another and then another that can spiral out of control and quickly empty your wallet.
    Follow Alchemy's suggestion. It makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    The 39 guy, Stogy, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  30. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

This is all fantastic information and I can’t thank you all enough for wanting to share it with me! You’re helping the next generation carry this passion on. I drove the car some more again this morning, and there are two simple things that need to be addressed. The car is dying when rolling to a stop, and I am having to pull the choke just a bit to keep it running until I take off again. I know the carb needs rebuilt and this will be addressed once my rebuild kit from stromberg arrives. The second issue is the blow by smoke coming from the rear oil fill/breather tube that is filling up the cab with smoke and fumes. It doesn’t bother me too bad but I would like to do something about it. I plan to try a little seafoam in the next tank of gas to try and free up some rings, but there is really no telling what shape the internals are in with this being the original motor. I heard rumors about a cap for the oil fill tube that had a flexible hose that would run down underneath the car to exhaust these blow by gases away from the cab, but I couldn’t find anything readily available from my short research time. Can anyone confirm something like that is available?

Stogy likes this.