Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 CADDY PAINT CODE HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joliet Jake, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I'm hoping someone here can help me locate paint code numbers. I selected a dark blue metallic 1958 Cadillac color, I think the name is "Electron Blue" for my roadster project. Our automotive paint guys here in Jax were unable to mix it even after making a few phone calls. So, knowing the vast wealth of knowledge here on the HAMB I'm sure someone has this information or at least how I can find it. I discovered the color at a recent car show and was told the name and year so my net search revealed this image which is a close match visually. Of course, everything I've been told thus far could be false for all I know.
    1958 .jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

To me the car looks like kobalt blue over black pearl...thats silver white pearl over black.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Have your paint mixing guy mix you up a pint of cobalt blue and spray it out . Or just pick your own blue? Lippy

5. chop&drop

chop&drop

There is a Corvette Electron Blue. The code is WA779J. You might try getting your guy to check that.

6. GeeRam

GeeRam

As said, Electron Blue isn't a '58 Caddy colour, and I don't think that car in that photo is painted in an original '58 colour, especially given its not stock?

This is Cobalt Blue, which is a '58 Caddy colour, and looks much darker?
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

I don’t think it is a caddy color if memory serves me right about 2002 a guy at the local show had a 32 pretty close to that color. He said it was a pearlescent color from the 90s gm maybe start there on the color charts.

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

GeeRam, that's the shade I'm looing for, somewhere in the Ford Washington Blue range with metallic.

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

OK,
    I ran into an issue. I need the actual GM paint code for Cobalt Blue, or the Dupont code numbers.

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Thank you gentlemen,
    here is where things get stupid. The main automotive paint supply house here in JAX cant mix it, even after having the Dupont code noted in squirrel's response. They said it's too old and cant mix it, WTH, how hard can it be? If the Nason supplier cant do it who can? At this point I'm about ready to go a different direction.

12. They can't mix it because they don't make the same toners anymore. Unless one of the paint companies have had the need to reproduce it and have done cross overs to the new toners you won't find anyone who can mix it other than a company like TCP global who has gone to the trouble of crossing over the new toners to old for all the old toners. Go to the paint store and find a blue you like and use that.

john worden and squirrel like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

That's why I warned you that it's old numbers....

If you can find an original paint chip, you could have that shot with a camera, and get it pretty close, eh?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133353336363?

might do it?

14. chop&drop

chop&drop

Do you have a PPG supplier in the area? They had a cross reference for the old Ditzler number I had and were able to mix what I wanted.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  15. GeeRam

GeeRam

I'm having the same problem here in the UK trying to get a 'modern' paint code for 1957 Corvette Aztec Copper.......and I'm now beginning to have to consider another option and a more modern colour which I didn't really want to do..:(

16. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

PPG will cross reference also TCP does a good job but it is online

17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The PPG guys are having a tough time with it, even though they have the PPG code numbers, I'm waiting on a call back. I also gave them the Ditzler number. I had no idea that this would be so hard.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. This is the bottom line. You can have all the names and numbers you like, but if the ingredients are different now, you can't just mix it. You need to manually match it. A sample for the spectrometer or whatever the anyliser is called would help. Or find a modern colour closest to what you want and tweak it.

john worden likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another one to take a look at is 85 Mercedes Midnight Blue. A lot of those mid 80's Mercedes colors run more towards what we might call traditional than later shades do.