Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Tutashen

Tutashen

omg i have needed something like that for fifty yrs an didn't know it , i'm in tears ;)

MojoRacing likes this.
  2. Tutashen

Tutashen

Lm
    Lmao i'm realy enjoying ur journey , i have always been a sbc guy but i worked for chrysler so when i retired bought a 1981 1/2 ton gmc to work on , i live in ontario you buy cars that have a safety check or they don't the ones with them are good to go jump in drive around the world well my safetied 1200 dollar truck made it to the gas station cause was low thought pick some up an would barely start got it home wouldn't start so went through com.spark,gas, taking off the aircleaner seemed sorta lose in fact the carb wasn't bolted down for the life of me i dunno how it ran to get me home an for the last 9 yrs everytime i fix one thing i see three others leaking broken or needing help but now has a motor built from with parts from every size first gen sbc except the 265 an is the second love of my life and looks like you have found yours to :)

3. Tutashen

Tutashen

using a wire brush doing any kind of work if your wearing cheap walmart tennis shoes or thin soled shoes sweep the floor the wires come off an work into the soles an if your working inside with any wire brush in socks be careful it's no fun pulling a bunch pieces 1/2 inch wire inbedded in your foot an don't ask how many times i forgot an did it anyway :(

4. Tutashen

Tutashen

i stopped at a napa once not my normal one for valve cover gaskets for sbc an the kid computered it said 70 bucks um each , shook hed an walked out didn't bother telling him i wasn't looking to buy the whole engine

5. Tutashen

Tutashen

Holy Shit that pic looks like something out of a time capsule all it's lacking is Jrs50's woman showing off knickers lol

Jrs50 likes this.
  6. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I think this door is too bent! But might be fixable if I don't come up with a better set. I'm not trying to be a foster home for junk though.

I tested the speedometer and found that it works- but no video as the HAMB doesn't support embedding webms... come on, get with the times! It was fun to watch the odometer tick up.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    RodStRace and oliver westlund like this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

snyders sells a door patch with the beltline and lower bead... the lower bead is different than most...
    they have compound curve... i cut the outer 90* edges off and butt welded the skin to the inner panel...
    the edges were originally stamped over the inner panel... tough to do at home and look right...
    i feel the beltline beadwork is not deep/crisp enough... but would fix many a wasted door...
    check them out... pix on my frozen computer...

trevorsworth likes this.
  8. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The real issue with this door is hard to see in the picture: it's tweaked diagonally. I think both the inner structure and the skin could be saved by separating them and working them over separately. But I have enough on my plate as it is and would rather just buy a decent door. If by the time I need a door I still haven't sourced some, I will see about fixing this one.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

some old restorers would take the door, on the car, then with their calf behind the bottom they would force the top the other direction...
    i have seen them take a couple inches of twist out of the door...
    call one, see if he can tell you more... go trev go !

AHotRod and RodStRace like this.
  10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I always used a thick phone book to adjust doors, if it out at the top you put it in the bottom and close the door on it and you can spring the top of the door in. The phone book doesn’t leave any marks or mess up the paint like a block of wood or dolly does. We said we called the door up.

AHotRod and RodStRace like this.
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

To post a video load it on youtube and then post a link on here. :)

12. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's just a clip of the speedometer spinning up and the odometer rolling over, too short to bother throwing on youtube.

[​IMG]

Found this old Delco Remy brake switch stuck to a floorboard. Kinda cool but I don't think it really suits this application, I have a stock A switch I'll use instead.

1-SHOT likes this.
  13. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Standard equipment on 54 and back GM

trevorsworth likes this.
  14. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy in a Ford?... blasphemy! :eek::D

Got a line on some doors a few hours away from me, will be a day trip for sure and no idea when I'll be able to make it. Waiting on pictures from the seller to see if they're worth playing hooky from work for.

15. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Seems like a perfectly good reason to "play hooky" from work either way!

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He had a set listed for $700... contacted him, asked if he had them, he said no he sold them but had another set and he'd send me pictures today... well, he didn't actually send the pictures, and then he hit me with a $1200 price tag... needless to say I passed... And the passenger door needed rust repair.

This feels like a bit of a silly predicament considering I did have two kind of working doors on the coupe. But I have to remind myself that the driver door was too rusted out on the inside to install hardware or glass, and the passenger door was too severely damaged on the outside to hold its shape without help, and I was going to need to replace or repair all but one hinge eventually. So I still don't think I'm really behind where I was in terms of actually having long-term viable parts.

I'm sure some doors will come up. In the meantime I sold the coupe roof wood set and will order the truck roof wood soon.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Jrs50, J.Ukrop and RMONTY like this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

If you are going to tackle stripping and repairing the cowl shown in post #1497, the doors are just going to be in the way or something to trip over for now.
    So optimistically, the OE doors will just take some time to be tracked down and returned to you.

18. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot rod circumstances just changed significantly... the V8 might be on the chopping block. A most bitchin (but off-topic) car just dropped into my lap and I don't have room or finances for three hot rods, nor can I financially shoulder a V8 conversion on the A truck. Tough choices ahead. I can't say too much about the new car, but it's got one of my favorite Chrysler engines in it... the leaning tower of power. ;)

RodStRace and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

A Slant Six ??????

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! I just love them, don't ask me why, I think they're cool as hell.

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Trevor if you are going to unload that flathead we need to talk....lol

RodStRace and Jrs50 like this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry, I promised you first dibs on it. I won't sell it without running it past you!

RodStRace and Jrs50 like this.
  23. RodStRace

RodStRace

Now you gotta clean up that garage! :D Can't have 2 projects all spread out and mixed!:eek:
    If the weather out there is anything like it is here, it's time to get that bare rusty bed out of the weather and emptying the shed to store stuff is a good start. RMONTY, hope you can swing the deal and show us a nice build!

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

Some day (without fenders)
    [​IMG]

25. Tutashen

Tutashen

Think i'm going to cry had high hopes you would deal the banger an use the flathead in the truck , O My , well end of the day it's what turns ur crank so do what makes you happy and those slants would run til they so out of compression you wouldn't move unless driveway was sloped down ish

26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The banger is zesty and makes cool noises. I may hang on to the V8 in case the banger develops a serious problem, depends on if I end up absolutely needing to sell it.

27. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been working on the new (O/T) '71 Dart. It was running like shit when I got it but it's getting there. Addressed some vacuum leaks and adjusted the valves - didn't know how to do the latter til today, it's really running great now. That sounded really scary, but it ended up being easy & makes me more comfortable doing it on the A later. Once I get it dialed in and get my dad paid back I'll focus back on the A. I'll sneak in a contraband picture of the off-topic project... breaking the rules is what we're all about, right?

[​IMG]

No more about it, I promise. ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    brEad, rjgideon, Jrs50 and 1 other person like this.
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You can sneak it in if you have it parked in the background when you take pictures of your A! :rolleyes:

trevorsworth and '51 Norm like this.
  29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Wow.....I'm surprised! I wont say why....but I am! Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday. Bring the new ride if you want. If you break down, call me. I will come rescue you. Perfect way to get your confidence built in the car. You leave your place with a basic tool kit, have a definite destination, and someone on the other end waiting to come get you if she lays down on you......good to go!

brEad, Jrs50, Dick Stevens and 2 others like this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

come on now, @trevorsworth did you get sucked into the modern car vortex?
    Gotta post an update on the A.

modelacrazy, J.Ukrop and trevorsworth like this.