Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage estate sale finds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetnow1, Dec 12, 2021.

1. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When the better half is in the mood, we take a walk around the neighborhood. For years we have passed a dilapidated small old house with a couple of sheds in the back. There was a tenant who
    stayed there o few nights a month, but stayed with his girlfriend most of the time. It was/is an eyesore
    we often joked it was a crack house. This weekend they are having an estate sale so we stopped by.
    The brake line tool is a snap on kit, missing two dies but I suspect I can make some of the dies from another kit work. Paid $10 for everything, actually she did as I left my wallet at
    20211212_065627.jpg

2. I love estate sales. You never know just where you might find a treasure.:)

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There have been 3 old retired master machinists from Mare Island Naval Shipyard in my country neighborhood who have passed away, and the estate sales were loaded with high quality tooling, tool blanks, materials etc. One gent had a big South Bend plus a smaller precision lathe that he made gun barrels on, and a big rock wheel in the back room. I have several drawers full of machine screws in brass, copper, stainless etc. Another had a big cabinets with many types of hardware, several boxes of nice metal stock including a lot of aluminum and brass, and a precision 4-jaw chuck that he had made from scratch. The last one yielded a Kennedy triple rollaway set, full, with decals from the nuke subs he had worked on building. In this area we also get a lot of Bay Area instant millionaires who come up and buy old farm properties, and many have antique tractors and equipment that they consider eyesores and have no idea how to get running and just want gone. A Ford 8N or Farmall M for a few hundred, clean the points and carb and they usually pop right off- and take that plow and disc with you, please

4. jaracer

jaracer

Snap-On still has the dies available. I have that same kit, but it came off the Snap-On truck in the mid 70's.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one dollar flaring tool.JPG I've got the same brake kit but it isn't SnapOn and I got mine at a garage sale. Way cheaper than at the "store":) Edit...I had a picture of my brake kit....maybe it isn't exactly the same, Wilde brand....for a buck it was a bargain:)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  6. 5window

5window

Great deal. I love the Mobilgas Pegasus.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Forgot your wallet , gonna have to try that one.

8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

A few years ago I went to the estate auction of an old mechanic that opened his shop when he came home from the Army in 1946. It was an evening auction on a rainy night so not too many bidders. It seemed like the auctioneer just wanted to get it over so there were bargains galore! This man only had quality tools and equipment. I bought stuff I didn't need just because I could not stand there and see a whole flat of Snap-on wrenches, sockets etc. go for $6 to $8. There was also Mac, Williams, Plumb, Proto, and many other quality brands from years gone by, all going for pennies on the dollar of what they were worth. There was also a big heavy duty press that they could not even get a bid on so they put an old metal lathe in with it, I bid a buck and got them! I spent less than $200, had my pickup full and had to go back the next day to get the lathe and press. Sold the lathe for $500 and the press for $300 the next week. I gave most of the hand tools to my son and grandsons to keep them from buying China throw away junk! I am always on the look out for estate sales and have made many fantastic buys over the years.

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

So many older SO tools can't be repaired because they don't make them any more. This should be pretty easy to complete, though. It's also missing the 'handle', just a bar with a ball lock on one end that is used to turn the threaded portion.

Oldiesmiles and Stogy like this.
  10. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my favorite version of "Hot Rod" cover art! I'd LOVE to have a roadster like that one! Is it based on a '32?
    I also love estate sales. And online auctions.

Stogy likes this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Got these from a free pile at a moving sale this summer. I even doubled checked with them that they were free. A6192656-F84F-40BA-859F-D27D2FC7C3B1.jpeg

12. 5window

5window

I finally found a home for 100+ pounds of Hot Rod, Carcraft, and Street Rodder. Found a 5 year old kid with a hot rod dad. Like Allstate, they're in good hands.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your better half have a sister?;)

The 39 guy, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I are estate sale regulars. This haul is from a few weeks ago. Paid $28 for everything you see. Much of it is Snap-On, notably the timing light.
    IMG_3241.JPG

15. rlsteel

rlsteel

Garage sales are great. We buy a lot of home and garage supplies. i bought a 2x4 setup for a BBC used in the box with instructions for cheap. when we lived in the city it was not uncommon to do 8-10 a weekend,!/2 price Sundays were great.

31Apickup likes this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

We usually do estate sales and garage sale for our Saturday morning entertainment. Picked up this Proto tool box for $20 this summer. Got the chop saw also for $20 at a different sale with 5 new discs. Usually scan Craigslist for the local sales. 7E3DF065-2337-407C-966E-55F1E0FBA266.jpeg F8973E69-18EB-4CA4-A506-DCD255E6B228.jpeg

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

she does but they are totally different, also she is married.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Just never can tell............

19. My oldest daughter has furnished her house with cool stuff from estate sales. She says "dead people go off and leave all kinds of neat stuff."

WalkerMD, Truck64 and vtx1800 like this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I confess, I too am a estate/garage sale junkie!

Bones

LOST ANGEL and deathrowdave like this.
  21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Did you do the Route 127 World's Longest Yard Sale this year? We done most of Kentucky and it pretty much sucked, hardly found anything good. It was way more glass, clothes and China junk than I ever seen before. I think it is getting worse every year, I might skip it next year, or maybe just do a day or two in Ohio again.

48fordnut and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to find any real bargains around here anymore unless you stumble on some gal doing a divorce sale who wants to get rid of what her ex left behind more than get good money out of it or you hit an estate sale where the kids or grand kids have no interest in the "old stuff" that got left to them. Even you have to be ahead of the "pickers" who are out early the day of the sales hunting for bargains on decent stuff to either put in their store or sell on Sunday at the flea market.
    There is a gal 50 miles to the south of me who runs estate sales down in her area and once in a while I can pick up a bargain at one of them or at a yard sale someone sets up on the route to the estate sale to take advantage of the traffic that is an old stuff shopping mood. I picked up a pretty nice aluminum cooler at one of her sales for pocket change and snagged a dehumidifier or my boat for 20 that stills sells for around 400 new. I seems that I pick up a lot of interesting home or owner built shop equipment for bargain prices up there though. Sawhorses made of galvanized pipe and pipe fittings Way too spendy to try to duplicate by going to Lowes and buying pipe and fittings. The same place I got a heavy duty stand for a vise or grinder or ? for free as she hadn't had anyone look at or ask about it and she needed it out of there.

23. Dman

Dman

I am a bigger fan of auction sales. It takes a bigger time commitment but I think there are better deals.

24. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Lots of antique/ yard/ flea markets have many folks who buy out storage lockers, sometimes you get lucky. There is an antiques faire on the old Naval Air runway at Alameda, first Sunday of the month. Attracts enough folks that they run shuttle buses in the parking lot, they rent shopping carts for $5, and at least a dozen food trucks. Usually lots of pretty nice antique stuff, but one day I spied an excellent condition large Kennedy top box with a name on the front. Was chock full of very good quality machine shop stuff, parallels, several mics, HSS and carbide cutters, end mills, boring bars, a couple nice dial indicators with arms and magnetic bases, all very clean, oiled and excellent condition, came from a storage unit. Ended up getting it for $100- he wanted $200, but no one else was looking at it, so after a while he relented- and you know he still made good money on it

alanp561 likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No we didn’t go this year! I never thought I could get burnt out on garage sales, but last year three days and at least a hundred garage sales, kinda done me in! Lol Before we could not pass a garage sale, at all! We would stop at one even if it made us late to where we were going! Now… we can breeze right by one! Lol Maybe it’s because I have finally realized I have enough junk to last the rest of my life! But it was fun last year! The old good ones with the treasures are getting few and far between!

Bones

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

In this neck of the woods, yard/garage sales = getting rid of junk, estate sales = clearing out the whole place in three days.
    I prefer estate sales, but the problem is "how much of this do I really need".
    Most of us seem to be of the age where it's time to thin down a lifetime's accumulations, not add to it.
    A year ago, an estate sale had a couple thousand books. I picked up 60+ Agatha Christie mysteries, at 10 cents each. I doubt I'll ever read them all.

27. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

So far my best buy was from a guy who was selling a Muncie and assured me that it was totally rebuilt
    by a high-end restorer. I live by the philosophy that if you don't have a receipt to prove it, then assume the work
    was never done. With that he dropped the price to $500. I figured $500 for total rebuild, so I would still be
    o.k. Got it home and looked it over closer, and it was a M22 rock crusher. It did need a rebuild, but it worked
    perfect behind my 409". Would like to find another deal like that...

409 39.JPG

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were little kids that knew of old folks and their old houses in our neighborhoods, a pile of boxes as the curb was like a garage sale. Back then, no one had estate sales. Then in the 60s, the big houses in the fancy neighborhoods had estate sales, because the estate was a long standing history being in one place. Several generations living in the same house created a long list estate.

In our neighborhood, the estate sales were not listed as such, but yard sales, garage sales and if there was something that needed to be sold from inside of the house, it was brought outside for everyone to see. A good name would have been a “front yard sale,” since most of the stuff was brought out to the front yard.

It was not a class designation, but simply yard sales and the word “estate” was used to create a novelty slogan for those that would think a bargain was to be had if the family possessions were from an “estate.”

Jnaki

We did go through our neighborhood yard sales, looking for toys or comic books. But, never ventured outside until we started to drive. Even then, the so called, “estate sales” were just the same stuff located in different neighborhoods and estate meant more older antique type stuff, along with the awful "moth ball" smell that attached itself to everything, even metal toy cars and bikes.

After we got married and were into the antique oak stage for furniture and roll top desks, our local shop that refinished old wares had a better selection than scouring those “estate sales” notices/advertisements. But, later on after those oak designed furniture and desks hit the road, our choices for searching in antique stores was for little old metal cars like Hot Wheels, Matchbox or Corgi toys. Again, the antique stores at the time were plentiful and the prices of “better in shape” metal cars were a better bargain than scrounging around those dusty "mothball" infused boxes.
    upload_2022-1-21_4-42-28.png Similar Chevy Sedan after countless hours playing in the custom sandbox in our old backyard.

The finding/buying of old Matchbox, Corgi and Hot Wheels cars began to grow for our son’s toy collection. The collection grew from several to plenty that then required custom fit miniature car slot containers and boxes. (From stores, not from estate sales) Those now are taking a vacation at the "other" grandmother's house These days, any place can have estate sales with the intent that the word estate is synonymous with value, which is in the eye of the beholder. YRMV

mitch 36 likes this.
  29. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_E1200.JPG
    I'm slowly collecting parts for a 32 pickup cab I have and came across this 32 commercial shell for $30 at a sale.

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I like estate sales. EXCEPT IF IT is someone i know. never felt right about buying stuff at those. Just me i guess.