Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical raising front end - coil springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteson, Nov 26, 2021.

1. vetteson

vetteson

I have a Studebaker that was fitted with a "Fatman Fabrications" front clip before I bought the car. It came with two" drop spindles. I replaced them with their only option which raised the front 1 1/2". I'd like to get the front back up another 1/2". What's the best way of doing this?

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

1/4" spacer under the front springs.

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

I am guessing you are talking about m11 set up you buy springs according to is fatman still in bus they used to have a good tech staff. Tom

4. Budget36

Budget36

Wouldn’t that just get a 1/4 inch? Or does something else come into play?

5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Throw some weight in the trunk, if it is only for a .5 inch

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

No it almost doubles when placing spacers under or on top of spring. Due to location of springs position on the lower arm, it works as a pivot so to speak between the ball joint and inner frame mounting bolt so you end up almost doubling the size of the shim in actual movement at the tire.

Budget36 and Just Gary like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the diameter of the springs and buy urethane spacers and install them on the top. 1/4”, 3/8, 1/2” I used them to level the front of my 56 when installing the Aerostar springs. Mine were the same as a Toyota Tacoma rear coils on one of their models. Make sure there is enough movement on the upper a-arms for the camber adjustment.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real late to this party but those spacers that go on top of the springs are often called "air conditioner" springs. At least they were in the 70's when the weight of the AC unit often caused the right hand front corner to sag a bit. I worked for a Pontiac dealer in Waco Tx then and did a lot of "leveling" at the time.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  9. Mimilan

Mimilan

No , It would be closer to 1/2" because the springs are inboard [motion ratio]

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, and there were different (stronger=more ride height) between small block springs and big block springs, at
    least in the Chevy lineup...