Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM three wire alternator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mayerst, Dec 10, 2021.

1. mayerst

mayerst

Hello all,
    I have a 1956 F250 w/272 and recently did a GM three wire conversion and have a question for anyone who may have had the same problem. I have alternator wired correctly and it still behaves like a one wire conversion. I have attached the exciter wire (with diode) to the coil, ign switch and tried wiring it into the gen light lead. The gen light stays on and the engine needs to be reved up before it starts to charge. I am getting power to the plug and when the plug is disconnected it won't charge at all. I have tried two different alternators (rebuilds) and still not working correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Tom

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Ford is rejecting a GM part….happens all the time.:oops:

FishFry, 1Nimrod, SEAAIRE354 and 9 others like this.
  3. As I recall from 50 years ago, you need to put a resistor across the gen light to keep it from staying lit.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

A lot of those GM alternators have to be revved up before they start charging. I have three cars I put them on and they all do the same thing but at different speeds. My cars are too old for a red light, though. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If the exciter wire sends voltage to the alternator and keeps it there, but turns it off when the engine is turned off your okay. Try running the exciter lead direct to the hot wire on the coil. You need a resistance in the wire and a small light bulb (like the idiot light ) will do the trick. My shriveled up old brain doesn't remember if the light turns on or off when charging, though.
    I don't understand why you would need a diode ? I've started using all one wire setups on my own cars. Much easier.

1Nimrod likes this.

5. mayerst

mayerst

Thank you all, I'll try the resistor. Aside from this issue it works and looks great.

Thanks again
    Tom

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. I have 3 wire 10si’s on all my cars and the ones that don’t have a stock charge light I added a light. Some of the cars take a little more then cold idle rpms to turn off the light.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    1Nimrod, SS327 and Hollywood-East like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've wired up a lot of three wire alternators using the diode and have never used a charge light.
    I save every wire up a Delco 10 SI or 12 SI Alternator in something it didn't come in here.
    Photobucket I haven't got any diagrams for the newer ones yet but there are some pigtails out there to connect them where a 10 SI went.

For the diode installed impaired this pigtail you can get from a guy in El Paso is pretty handy for the price. Ebay number 201247906131 I got one a while back and for the price it is hard to convince yourself to run all over town looking for diode even though the diodes are cheap.

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Give it a rev to get it excited...

1Nimrod and SS327 like this.
  9. mayerst

mayerst

Thanks again, I'll report back after trying your suggestions.

Tom

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

The leads on the "gen" light are as follows: one to accy, not ign, one to the white lead on the alt plug. When the key is on, engine not running the circuit is grounded through the alt and the light lights. When the engine is running, the alt is excited (regulator turned on) both of the leads are then +, the light goes out (because the ground is lost). If the alt / regulator fails, the ground is restored and the gen light lights again.
    Does your gen light have two leads? it needs to be isolated from ground to work with a SI style alternator. My Falcon was wired this way and worked perfectly.
    Good Luck.

http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

1Nimrod and RICH B like this.
  11. dartracer

dartracer

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Excite it from the ACC terminal of the switch

1Nimrod, connielu and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

The number 2 post on the flat plug, the one that everyone tells you to hook to the 12 volt + on the alternator is the load sensing wire. It should be connected to the junction block where all of the load, or accessories are connected, on older cars it is usually the ammeter or the headlight switch. This tells the alternator to up the charge rate when there is a large draw. The alternator does not work as well if the wire is jumped at the alternator to 12V.

1Nimrod, Algoma56 and connielu like this.
  14. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Yes! The Mad Electrical link explains this in detail. Well worth the time to read.

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1Nimrod likes this.