Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 300 six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl_William, Nov 29, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Falcon derived 200-6 is 385lbs, with the 170, and 144 coming in a little lighter, and the 250 probably about 50lbs over that.

Hnstray and CNC-Dude like this.
  2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think you mean the 240. i ran a 250 in a gen-1 econoline and it's the same length as the 144-200, but is taller to accomodate a long stroke. ran like a raped ape!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

Shows and meets, lol.

4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

And his own garage, a big back yard, and... well soon! And I have a feeling that I'll be making a few of the parts

ratrodrodder likes this.
  5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Get out the tape measure the 300 is right at 3 feet long

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been mentioning the size, versus the Falcon engine bay. It keeps coming up, as if three feet of engine fits between objects less than three feet apart.

Hnstray, seb fontana and sunbeam like this.
  7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

A blue crescent and an 8 pound hammer, it'll fit or else...

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can, and has been done. It requires relieving the firewall, and a creative hood (unless you don't fancy ground clearance).

If I could find a sedan delivery, I would put a 300 in it, and use it as a shop truck.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Best of all a 65-67 econoline pickup

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I need a "153624" shirt.
    And a "1" shirt for my Jr/D.

11. I was looking for something else on Fb market place today and this showed up. Thought it was post worthy on a Ford 6 thread. 6=8.png

ratrodrodder likes this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

I never understood why nobody put a center divider in these making a 240 degree manifold with the carb setting sideways. I have done this makes the street manners better.

seb fontana likes this.
  13. makes good sense to me too. Hell unless you run @wot all the time it even makes good track sense.

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am wondering if my champ car intake is similar in function to the intake with a divider in the middle, even though it has a "balance tube" like most European side draft intakes? I just copied their concept when I made it.

Attached Files:

Motorwrxs likes this.
  15. speedshifter

speedshifter

I was a UPS mechanic & maintained 34 Ford 240 & 300's. I agree they are terrific. Never ever had one blow up, could plan on 200,000to 250,000 miles life span. The drivers drove the heck out of them, would wind them up as tight as they would wind in every gear all day long. Steel crank gear & aluminum cam gear ,with course teeth, lasted the best. Usually #1 cylinder would have more taper when the engine was worn out. My son hopped up a 300 & stuffed it in a Stude 1/2 ton pick up. Runs great. speedshifter Greg White

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Many years ago I picked up a 77 F 150 that someone put a 66 240 in it and I liked it,it ran great and got decent gas mileage but that was the days of the 55 highway speed limit.

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The Sherm Sligh motor was state-of-the-art six cylinder racing tech in the '60s and '70s. The current one-piece billet headed Comp Eliminator engines are of the same lineage. I will take a slight issue with the claim that the engine makes 625 hp. If it set the record at 9.2 seconds in an altered it made less. My (avatar) altered with a cast iron emissions oriented crossflow head runs 9.0 sec. @ 147 mph, and that calculates out to 488 hp at the rear wheels, or about 550 estimated hp at the crank.
    I'd like to see what the engine runs in a modern altered. Would it be as fast or faster? Maybe I should volunteer my chassis to Mr. Ellison for testing?

moparboy440 likes this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice!

20. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

A balance tube on an IR carb like a Weber will upset the individual runner aspect of the carb by confusing it with multiple intake pulses when it's designed to only have one per venturi. Many people confuse and try to mimic what the American 2 bbl carbs like the Rochester, Carter and even Holley require in a manifold, and you simply can't interchange the carb style with a different intake design or style. Holley even has a racing carb that is designed for IR manifolds, so keep the correct carb with the correct manifold design and it will make tuning much simpler.

21. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Greg, when the 292 out of Cotton's Pocket Rocket was dynoed last, I was present and saw it at 612 HP. The last record he set in H/MP was 10.39 at 128 MPH at 3550 lbs. When Modified ended, it was put into Brian Browell's Comp Eliminator RED in F/D and went 8.04 against Lingenfelter in the quarterfinals at Indy in '86, which set the F/D record at that time. I was present at that event as well. Not sure what the rear wheel HP works out to be, but those are the ET numbers and HP that engine was making.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    moparboy440 likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well that's what makes all this BS and speculating so much fun. The proof is in the pudding. What can it run? If it is making 650 HP then that is within about 100 HP of what the inline altereds are making today, about 750 HP, with four decades of technological advancements. A J/A or J/AA car (equivalent to the old E/A class) is in the mid-seven to 8.0 second range. Once he gets that bad boy in a racing chassis we'll see what it will turn. Maybe it will go from 9.2 to a 8-flat. We'll see.

23. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I always wondered how accurate those formulas were for calculating HP from ET and vice versa really are. It probably makes a difference also in power to the ground when considering auto tranny or stick. Both of Cotton's were stick in the Pocket Rocket and rear engine dragster.