Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pink car redo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HR Jonz, Dec 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HR Jonz

HR Jonz

Hey everyone. I need some opinions here. I aquired a 37 Ford Sedan a bit ago with a wounded motor. My intention was never to keep it. I did a 350 Vortec build and have swapped it in and it is getting close to putting on the market. The car was originally built in the era of monochomatic street rods so this thing is straight up pink. The paint is in almost perfect shape so I have decided to not do a repaint. Everything was pink, door handles, latches ,motor, even the grille. I painted the firewall white just to break things up BUT here is the question. The grille was painted and retains its finish but it is easy to see that I could strip it easily but it will likely need a re-chrome--I kind of didnt want to spend that amount of money OR I could strip it and paint it black. SO chrome, black or leave it pink? Remember this car is going to be for sale so thinking about what others might find somewhat appealing.

Attached Files:

2. Good luck, most guys are going the be turned off with a pink car. HRP

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Trust me...
    There's an Ass for Every seat..
    Breast cancer survivor...
    Dude outta the closest...etc.
    An don't touch the grill!
    Believe it or not Some people are buying the 80's survivor's

-Brent- likes this.
  4. I would leave it alone and let the next person decide, besides you can sell it cheaper. Pink four door, maybe even a hump back will take a pretty special person to buy it.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

girls like hot street rods too

gimpyshotrods and beegator like this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Leave it as is if the paint is good. If it doesn't bring the money, shoot it a common color.
    You could do all to the parts that are supposed to be chrome in a silver white pearl.

It's a hard sell, but a total repaint is a lot of hours.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Could also paint the boards black to tone it down a bit.

Squablow likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

A black grille on that car would look worse than the pink. If you really need to paint the grille, paint it silver.

F-ONE likes this.
  9. It’s not Pink
    It’s Coral.

10. HR Jonz

HR Jonz

Thanks for the replies guys. Literally everything is pink or yes...coral. Even the fender welting. Like I said the door handles, trunk hinges, etc. I am going to swap out to just chrome --just for some sort of contrast. I am even trying to think of a contrasting color for a set of steelies-- tan?
    As for a buyer? I was kind of thinking the same thing--breast cancer awareness organizations, wedding planners, female hot rodders. I'm adding A/C. You can see how this "flip" could get out of control quickly. That's why I would rather do something contrasting rather than a color change.

11. Jones St.

Jones St.

Go to a Big Box store & grab color swatches for ideas. There is some really good chrome silver out there for a shot at the grill being closer to its OG finish.

upfberg likes this.
  12. You bought it ,someone else will too !!!

13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Just my two cents….

You already have pink as the dominant color.

You started adding white on the firewall, which I think is a great accent to the pink.
    I would not add yet another color to the wheels like tan.

If it was mine, I’d do the grill in the same white, maybe the running boards too, I’d do the steel wheels the same color white with black walls. Unless you wanted wide whites then I’d paint the wheels pink. Then staying with the white and pink theme, I’d add some tasteful Von Dutch stripes front an back and if it still needed some more taming down maybe some small white scallops behind the wheels on the sides of the fenders.

Guy Patterson, Tman and tomkelly88 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd leave it as is. You are probably going to get beat up on the price anyhow and that says don't put extra money in it where it isn't needed. Let the next guy or gal decide on the cosmetic part.

Desoto291Hemi, VANDENPLAS and X38 like this.
  15. Why? Throwing good money after bad. You keep saying you're flipping, then ask about major renovations. :confused:

16. For decades my uncle had a 1966 Jeep CJ5 he restored that we affectionately called "Pinky". Like your car, it wasn't exactly pink...it was a coral like color called "Indian Ceramic 332". I don't think your color is that bad. Actually kinda think it's classic unless it's more Pepto Bismol or Pink Panther then the pics show.

Agree with Jim Bouchard on most points. Chrome grill though. Anything else is going to look like shit and you aren't going to be happy with it. Chrome handles, chrome trunk hinges, whatever stock brightwork could go back on without messing with the body/paint too much. Steel wheels with polished stainless trim rings and caps. Paint the steelies white to match your firewall. BLACK WALLS. White walls are going to make it too "pretty", especially in that color. White steelies are all the rage now but still very classic (think MOBSTEEL without going obnoxiously huge). Still too pink, then cover the running boards back over with stock style rubber (I would anyway...painted running boards are like white carpet). Stripes or scallops add too much personal flavor IMO. What's wrong with the front suspension? Does it work? I'd leave the IFS for the next guy to fool with and use the money to update the look. I assume the car is a nice build if you are investing this kinda time into a flip. I dig it. Definitely add A/C.

If I were after after a family friendly Hot Rod, a few things about your car could tick the boxes:
    4 door, reliable running gear, a/c, and a color my three girls, my wife, and I could probably all agree on (quality over color to me). Too bad I'm broke 'cause you're not that far away...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Jim Bouchard likes this.
  17. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Years ago I built a house for...well us construction types joked that the house didn’t need closets...they already came out...well anyway one day the homeowners drop in to check progress when the plumber ask if the “Special Order “ PINK bath tubs and sinks had come in. The homeowner replied,”There not PINK...there DESERT BLOOM”

18. I'd remove the paint on the headlight rings and door handles (they're stainless, should buff out nicely), then paint the running boards black (better yet, put on the stock running board rubber).

19. HR Jonz

HR Jonz

These are all great ideas guys I do appreciate it.
    1. I like the idea of the white steelies. It would match the firewall and tie the car together. Adding the stailness centers and trim rings would help too.
    2. I need to do something on the running boards for sure. I think adding the mat makes sense and will protect them but will likely redo the fender welting to match it.
    3. I will only do the IFS if it doesnt sell by Feb/March and people have actually said " I like it but dont like the way it drives" Straight axles aren't for everybody.
    4. The wipers are stainless. I think the headlight rings, door handles, etc in stainless will at least break up the lines and features on the car. Right now its like it was dipped in candy.
    5. I got this thing super cheap. The owner/builder had just moved on and it was sitting in the back of his shop after the original 307 swap motor had given up. (It was painted pink too!) With a decent interior, heat and AC I think there will be a market for it. Smaller than if it were black or red but where I intend to price it someone could have a nice cars and coffee cruiser for the family.

VANDENPLAS and Jim Bouchard like this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's somebody over in Evansdale who parks a Pepto-Bismol Pink car in their driveway. It's just obnoxious to see. Old washers and dryers in the front yard look better than that

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, HR;
    Pink? <Chuckle... :) > . Yup, all in how you name it!

Dad had a '59 Cad coupe-deville = triple pink = pink top, pink rest of car, pink inside. Lots of chrome. Was a dusty sorta-pink w/almost a hint of purple in it(as I remember it), don't know the correct color name. Wasn't garish, or hard to look at. In terms of '50's car color combos, it was almost blend-into-the-background-boring.

There's a ~60's Stude Champ pu that usually shows up at the yearly Michiania May meet, very bright & sorta hard on the eyes, but most folks love it - very "cute". & yes, IIRC, it's owned by a lady. It's bright PeptoBismal pink w/very bright white grill, trim, wheels, lettering. Pink n wht interior. The very bright wht contrasts nicely w/the bright PB pink. Actually, most folks would rock-it. A little hard to look at, but oddly, not garish.

Not knowing how bright or not your pink car is, nor the brightness of the wht firewall, you might look at a cream color to tone down a bright pink, or a very bright white(fords' Wimbledon White maybe?) to help "pop" a 'dull' or 'dusty rose' .
    What was the interior color? Hopefully it will, or can, go w/other colors like black, white, red, etc, for resale.
    The right shade n accent color will help the 4dr look really good, & classy. I agree w/other poster on the black rubber running board covers, both for practicality, & helping "the look".

Careful here, you just might find you like the car too much to sell it, & now have a daily driver - or wife does. :) .
    Marcus...

22. Jones St.

Jones St.

The front shock's may be needing upgraded. Bob Bauder made these dropped straight axle cars handle w/the proper matching of shock/spring rates.

23. 24riverview

24riverview

Had to think about it but no not my driveway :D. Where's this at roughly?

Truck64 likes this.
  24. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Have you ever flipped a car before? Idea is to buy cheap, spend very little time or money and sell high.
    I know people who tried to flip houses and redone everything , siding windows floors total remodel. Lost their ass.
    Don't spend much ,just try to see what the market says. What profit margin do you want and will all the time and money make up for it?

Squablow, borntoloze and X38 like this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ha! Yeah it's actually on River Forest road, going north from hwy 20. Just a block or two past the 4 way stop where Casey's and Deerwood park is. It's like a Crown Vic or something. Put that thing away wouldja, I'm thinkin'. They are just taunting everybody, I'm sure of it LOL

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

That's a nice car...It's a nice color.
    It just needs some "period" love (IFS is not love) to bring out what it is. What it is is a Pre-War Ford.

Grille....Scuff it and paint it ardent (silver). Chrome grille center bar and surround if possible. Again, Ardent is better than a solid color....
    Chrome Headlight doors...
    Chrome Handles...
    Chrome center bar... (windshield)

Running Boards.....Cheap...Paint them black..... Mo-Money...Cover them with white rubber....
    Bumpers....Original chrome or 1950s era nerf bars....
    Wheels....Steel wheels...There's only 1 color and that is Black!!!!!
    Another option is what's on it for a mid 60's update vibe...
    Tires....period Blackwall or white walls....all kinds of options....
    Wide White wall....Black wheels no caps..chrome lugs. That's It!
    Black walls....Black wheels Chrome Ford Moons
    ^^^ Both options are period and ...simple...simple...
    Easiest...What's on it. (the 1965 "update") as mentioned.

All that little car needs is details. That's it...just little details.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. 327Eric

327Eric

Your going to flip it. Either the new owner will like the monochrome, in which anything you change will ruin the value as a complete, original 80s build, or they will change everything, in which case you wasted time and money. Fix the mechanicals, and visible flaws. Leave the aesthetics to the new owner. The more you individualize it to your tastes, the more you narrow your market

28. Clean it up and sell it as-is. If you don't get what you want after 2 weeks, either keep it or paint it. This photo is my one foray into the world of pink...a Caddy yet! I eventually swapped it for a really nice 55 Dodge short box stepside pickup in gray primer. Much better. 47caddyandscotty.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Truck64 like this.
  29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Hey! Could I buy some Pot from you guys?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. HR Jonz

HR Jonz

Flipped a bunch. I have a shop and do this stuff all the time. Got it for cheap and have plenty of room to make at least 100 to 125% on the sale even with the listed upgrades. I am trying to make it as much of a "get in it and drive it" situation for the new owner. If the car were black or red or some other color I would shine it up and put it up for sale. The color is the thing and the buyer may be different. Right now it is just inventory sitting up taking up space. When it goes up for sale I expect it to go without a bunch of "If it only had this.... " haggling.

fords-n-fatboys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.