Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy Cameo. Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's some from the spring of 2020. Although the inner bedsides are already red, the ivory at the rear has yet to be painted.

Z21.jpg Z22.jpg Z19.jpg

LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's one of the steering wheel and column being painted. It doesn't really show, but the steering box and column are a combination of 1958 Chevy pickup and 1956 Chevy 4 door sedan.

The box and steering shaft are stock 1958 Chevy pickup. The 1958 box and column was used for it's shorter length, compared to a 1955 Chevy pickup steering box and column. The shorter length is needed when using an Impala steering wheel.

The upper mast jacket, turn signal housing, and column gear shift collar are all from a 1956 Chevy 210 sedan. The steering wheel is from a 1959 Impala. The passenger car turn signal mechanism is a better design that the pickups. This was the reason for the change. These were taken in the late summer of 2020.

Z20.jpg

swade41, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here are a couple from when the front fenders were finish painted. Not sure what caused the poor picture quality. Not enough lighting, perhaps??? Once again, these were taken in the fall of 2020.

These fenders were basically NOS 57 Chevy pickup fenders. They had been installed on a truck for a short time, but were removed soon after. Since they were for a 57 pickup, there were two notches that had to be filled at the edge of the grille opening...One in each fender.

Each fender had a hole directly above the headlight, that had to be filled. At one time, someone had mounted turn signals on the top of the fenders.

Z17.jpg Z18.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

On to the current photos. These were taken a couple of weeks ago.

Here's the finished interior. It has the stock seat, with custom upholstery. The seat has the stock pattern to the upholstery, but where the original seat had red cloth inserts, pleated red vinyl was used. Pleated red vinyl also replaced the red cloth that would have been on the door panels.

By the way, the red dice were a present to my Dad, from my older Brother Bob. This was from when the Cameo was first rebuilt in the early 1990's.

Z6.jpg Z10.jpg Z11.jpg

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here are a few engine shots. The engine is a basically stock Power Pack 283. It has an Edelbrock C4B intake with a 650 Holley carb. The valve covers are Corvette, with Eelco one piece wing bolts. The air cleaner is in a Cal Custom style. The headers are Hooker Super Comps. The distributor is a Mallory Unilite.

The generator was remanufactured in 1980, but was never installed until now. The fan shroud is a combination of 1963 Impala small block and 1959 Chevy 60 series grain truck with a 348. The radiator is the original one from the Cameo....All copper and brass. It did have to be recored, though. The radiator was wrapped around the fan when the truck was totaled in 1996.

Z4.jpg Z3.jpg Z2.jpg Nov 21 H.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Deuces, swade41, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Finally, here are some exterior shots. It's basically done, except for the exhaust. Cutouts and the tailpipes exiting out the side just ahead of the rear tires are planned.

Sometime, I'd like to get the front axle dropped. Not sure how much, though. The trailer hitch also has to be installed. Unfortunately, to put a hitch on the truck, I have to leave the spare tire carrier off.

Although it's basically finished, it has not been started, yet. Weather permitting, that will happen this Sunday.

Z7.jpg Z12.jpg Z8.jpg Nov 21 B.jpg Nov 21 E.jpg

Deuces, OahuEli, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Looks great. :)

Torkwrench likes this.
  8. Turned out great!

Torkwrench likes this.
  9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thank you. It's literally the nicest it's ever been. However, as good as it has turned out, it will not be riding on a trailer. Instead, it will be pulling the trailer...To the drag strip with my black 55, (replacing my 59 GMC as tow vehicle).

Glory Days 2021.jpg Super 55 vs Larrys 59.jpg

10. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Looking great, John. Are you going to do the GMC next?

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  11. wow, lot of work in that truck, sure lookin good,...can't wait to check it out in person. good luck with.

Torkwrench likes this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks, Phil. Actually, the GMC might be up for sale next summer or fall.

I'd like to get started again on my 34 Chevy coupe. Quite a bit has been done, but it's been on hold since about 2014.

Projects - 1934 Chevy Coupe Build. | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

However, I'd really like to get started on my 56 BelAir. I've known the car since 1980 when my best friend from high school dragged it out of a junk yard. This was just before my Senior year started. I've owned it since 1994, but it hasn't gotten past the parts collecting stage.

Unfortunately, it's REALLY rough. It was sold new in Anchorage Alaska and went through the Alaskan Earthquake of 1964.

4.jpg scan0014.jpg

swade41 likes this.
  13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks Sam. It really was ALOT of work...Especially, this year. Almost every Monday and Tuesday after work, in addition to many, many weekends.

It should be out and about next spring. The first trip will be over to Forreston to symbolically complete the trip it was on when it was totaled. After that it'll be time to drive the wheels off of it.

By the way, Thanks again for the NOS front fenders. They really worked out well.

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's ALIVE!!! The first start since May 1996 happened today at about 1pm. By the way, the starter is a brand new remanufactured one from NAPA. Yeah...I'll be dropping off an old original bell housing mount starter, to be rebuilt at a local electrical shop, tomorrow. (Lincoln Way Auto Electric in Dixon ILL.)

lincolnway auto electric dixon il - Google Search . It's an old time style shop that can rebuild just about anything electrical.

Cameo 1st start - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    malibumonte78 and loudbang like this.
  15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I warmed it up a little bit, but then the heater core started leaking. It might be the heater control valve, too. Otherwise, no other coolant leaks, or fuel leaks. All of the stock Chevy gauges work OK. The tach works OK, too.

All the lights, (except two), and turn signals work, as does the horn and wipers. The dome light and right backup light does not work. The brakes lights work as well.

Cameo warm up - YouTube

loudbang likes this.
  16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

17. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

You must be so happy! Great job, John. Where's Willie when you want him singing "On the Road Again?"

loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yes indeed!!! It'll be nice to get the bugs worked out, and rest and relax for the winter. Hmmm, I also have a 41 Pontiac to work on, though...Visible in the first and last videos.

loudbang likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Here they all are. :)

OahuEli, swade41, Torkwrench and 2 others like this.
  20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks Loudbang.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A few weeks ago, the Cameo went in for the exhaust. It'll have cutouts with the tailpipes exiting right in front of the rear tires.

So far, I've put about 20 miles on it so far. They were kinda loud with open headers. LOL! I still need to fix the charging system and reinstall the heater core.

The trailer hitch will have to be custom made. Learned a couple of weeks ago, that Cameo frames are slightly different from the short bed stepside frames. The bottom side of the frame rails were slightly trimmed at the factory to clear the spare tire carrier. As a result, there isn't enough metal on the bottom of the frame rails to drill the mounting holes for a store-bought hitch.

New exhaust 4 16 22.jpeg New exhaust 4 16 22 B.jpeg

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  22. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Lookin' good, John.

Torkwrench likes this.
  23. SS327

SS327

I have a 55 sm420 4 speed and bell housing floating around in the garage somewhere. It’s looking for a good home. Out of a 3/4 or 1 ton step van.

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

With help from my older Brother Bob, I drove the Cameo home from the exhaust shop. Here are a few photos.

New Exhaust 5 12 22 A.jpeg New Exhaust 5 12 22 C.jpeg New Exhaust 5 12 22 D.jpeg New Exhaust 5 12 22.jpeg

Deuces, OahuEli, 59Apachegail and 9 others like this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

long time coming! congrats

Deuces, OahuEli and Torkwrench like this.
  26. Turned out great!

Torkwrench likes this.
  27. Very clean detailed work, I like that you're using it to tow the 55 to the racetrack, that's my plan for my 57 pickup too.
    What type of paint did you use on the steering wheel and does it seem to be holding up ? I need to paint mine too.

20190410_163128.jpg

LOST ANGEL, Budget36 and Torkwrench like this.
  28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thank you. It's great that you'll be using your 57 for towing to the race track.

I'm not sure what the type of paint was used on the steering wheel. Base / clear perhaps? That's what was used everywhere else. I did about 85% of the mechanical & assembly work, but I'm not a body & paint guy.

swade41 likes this.