Register now to get rid of these ads!

History It's official. First day of retirement!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WB69, Dec 1, 2021.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your WILL forget what day it is. I retired 4 years ago and work on my shop damn near every day. I loved my old job but this one is better ....and less stress. Congratulations!

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Congratulations! Now you'll really be busy!

WB69 likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Congrats! I retired in June this year, but I’m still working part time three days a week most weeks. Lots different when you can pick what days you work instead of having to work all week. I’ve got a few credit cards and other bills I want to pay off before I quit completely, hoping about mid year next year.

alanp561 and WB69 like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pulled the pin this month in 2009. I left earlier than I was initially planning but the politics got to be too much. Best thing I ever did. Those Sunday afternoon pains in the gut from thinking about having to go to work Monday morning are a thing of the past. Like others said you won't have enough time to get everything done. But don't worry, if it doesn't get done in one day there is always tomorrow. Congrats. Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.

hotrodjack33, Lil32 and osage orange like this.
  5. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Congrats, I retired this past Sept 1st. Trying to get all the small projects caught up with so I can get back to the car projects. Good luck.

WB69 and osage orange like this.
  6. Congrats. I did it 15 years ago, and have enjoyed it ever since. Hard now to remember what day it is. Careful though- friends seem to "well since he's retired, he can help me do this". You wind up having to say NO eventually.

hotrodjack33, WB69 and osage orange like this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Congrats! Started my 14th year of retirement November 1.
    You will soon find it’s vastly underrated along with wondering how you ever had time to work.;) Enjoy!

hotrodjack33, WB69 and osage orange like this.
  8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Welcome to the “7 Day Weekend” Didn’t retire until I was 72, wife, kids, friends thought I would have a very hard time adjusting but I fit in fine!

9. congrats old man ;) im about 45 years away from retirement.

WB69 likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m jealous. Only 1974 days to go, but who is counting?

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Congrats Duncan.

WB69 and arkiehotrods like this.
  12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Best To You And Now The Fun Part Begins That You Earned... 107700423_3610612225634164_6498615046385858098_n.jpg

13. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Coincidentally today is my last day before retirement as an engineer at BorgWarner after 36 years and 10 months. Congrats to you.

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Hey, good for you. IF you don't have anything to do, I suggest that you go down to the local busy mall early in the morning and get a parking space close to the front door. Sit in your car while it is in reverse and watch the people wait for your parking space. Might want to bring your lunch.

15. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Congratulations stay busy with things you enjoy spend time with people you love. Figure out the things you always wanted to do. I mean the things that float around in your head for years. And do them while your health will still allow it. Later on you’ll have plenty of time to sit around thinking of all your memories.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's awesome! Love ol' Jed Clampett, in silver lame no less, and with a double neck Danoelectro even! :D

17. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on the number of car listed on your profile page you needed to retire long ago:eek:.....only kidding have fun with your collection and happy retirement!:D

WB69 and The Shift Wizard like this.
  18. I wanna retire, but I don't want to get old. So I'll keep working. 39 months left. Congrats WB!

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Congrats @WB69 , I'm jealous! I regrettably turned down a generous package last year when the company was going through downsizing. I really need to get at least a couple more years in, but with the way the world is going now I should've just taken the package and got the hell out of the business, and just done small jobs to earn money for toys. This working crap is for the birds.....

bobss396, hotrodjack33, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  20. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Congratulations! You are now entering the best phase of your life. I have been retired 14 years now. Every day is Saturday until about 5PM. Then it's Friday night!
    My 7 day pill box has the days written on each compartment. That is the only way I know what day it is! But it really doesn't matter.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Good on you! Hope it brings you... Peace.
    Marcus...

WB69 likes this.
  22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Norman Rockwell says " Its time to Re-tire "

Congratulations on one journey through time that has ended, and another journey through time that has begun!

I retired on April, 29th, 2019, at age 66, its great not knowing what day it is, soon you will know what I mean!

fisk tires.jpg

23. I'll probably never be able to retire, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

WB69 likes this.
  24. Congratulations, from now on you will wonder how you ever got anything done when you had a job. :D HRP

25. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Having been retired for nearly 10 years, I don't think everyone who posted is being entirely honest about how great being retired is.
    I watched my dad, who retired for the 3rd time at age 72, spend most of his time watching TV and taking naps. The highlight of his day was hanging out at the donut shop with is peers every morning. Sometimes he would go to the mall, just to sit and watch people. When I suggested that he spend some time at the senior community center, he replied, "Why would I want to hang around a bunch of old people?"
    Being considerably more educated than my dad, I thought retirement would be different for me; it isn't. The covid pandemic has made it worse. However, I don't miss spending 4 hours daily commuting. I also have come to appreciate things I never paid much attention to before-my cats, watching birds and squirrels in my yard, seeing leaves fall like rain, and so on. I also look forward to having parts delivered for my 55 Tbird restoration.
    By the way, my stepfather is 83 and works full-time by choice, not necessity. Money is not an issue. I have no doubt that he will continue to work as long as he is allowed/able. His father retired at age 92 and passed away of heart failure at 95. It was the only time in his life that he was hospitalized.

hotrodjack33, Lil32, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Great times ahead - will spend more money than you ever thought - yes, OK to take a nap - learned to visit retired guys before Noon

hotrodjack33 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Congrats on your retirement!

I love my job and I love spending money, and I do a lot of that! . If I don't get laid off, if the company doesn't go under, if my health stays reasonably good, I would like to work until I am 70. I have 8 yrs and 2 months to go.

My grandfather, who is one of my heroes, worked for Chance Vought for many years. One day one of his supervisors came up to him and asked..."Elvin, how old are you?" My grandfather looked at him and said..."I don't rightly recall when my birthday is!' The supervisor said...."Elvin, you are 68 years old. Company policy dictates that employees must retire when they are 65." That was his last day there. It about killed him to retire. He and I stayed busy helping his friend deliver refrigerated milk tanks to dairies around the N/E Texas area, and fixing old Farmall tractors. I was not in school at the time, still a little guy of 4, 5, and 6 years old but that is one of those Never Forget Memories.

He had "the big one Elizabeth!" at age 81 as he was trying to cut a Sycamore Tree root out from under his sidewalk in the back of the house. Stay away from chainsaws! RIP Grandaddy!

[​IMG]

hotrodjack33, loudbang, WB69 and 3 others like this.
  28. 4ty

4ty

CONGRATULATIONS ! ! !
    Stay healthy.
    Paul in CT

WB69 and osage orange like this.
  29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I retired from my long time career in 02 then went to the outside doing HighVoltage transmission line work for 5 yrs from Maine to Hawaii. Was gone for at least 50% of the time. Many jobs were 6 12's and some 7 12's. Was glad to finally retire and don't miss it one bit! Been 14 years now and manage to keep occupied.
    Enjoy!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Lil32, WB69 and 3 others like this.
  30. jim snow

jim snow

Congrats. Retired six years ago. You will soon wonder how you got anything done when you were working.lol. Days go by quick.Snowman ⛄️