Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘62 Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A friend of mine has asked me to help her sell her 1962 Corvette. So I need to know where/ who I can get to give it a proper appraisal! Any other ideas on helping me sell this car will be appreciated!

Bones

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

A picture and description would help.

Pat

Deuces likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I’d check with the corvette forums for a reputable appraiser.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

300hp with a Powerglide and both tops and I’d be interested..

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree that the Corvette forum would be a good place to start. Tom Parsons in on that forum and probably would know someone if the car is in Oklahoma. Good luck. I have found appraisals to be tricky at times. Some guys are too high and some too low. If you could get a reputable guy that would be ideal.

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Corvetteforum.com c1/c2 section

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  7. Or see what has actually sold in the completed section of Ebay Motors.

Boneyard51, Deuces and scotty t like this.
  8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would be interested if it's Black on Black with hardtop, motor and trans not important!

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks , the car is in Oklahoma, I don’t have pics yet I am secheduled to give the car an inspection soon !Will have pics then, the car is red. I know appraiser can be all over the price range, that is why I need a good one. I have found 62 Corvettes from $30,000 to $260,000! I’m sure hers is in between that…..but where? Lol

Bones

10. Good luck and hope she gets her price !

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks! I went to that forum and they took me to Bring a trailer where there was a list of 27 1962 Corvettes sold and prices….anywhere from $30,000 to $150,000! Narrowing it down! I figured those $250,000priced ones were just trying to artificially drive up the price!

Bones

lothiandon1940 and scotty t like this.
  13. It really just depends on the the condition, options and originality. Even a beater is worth quite a bit.

Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have only seen pictures and a description, but I think it is going to be in great condition!

Bones

Budget36 likes this.
  15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Hopefully you are right that it is in great condition but you may be wise to be prepared for an actual appraisal. I read nonsense on some of these sites as to value and it is by people that really know very little. I own 2 62s and was building a third as a drag car and am a little familiar with them. When you inspect the car look at the frame. The first areas to rust is the rear crossmember just forward of the lower bodywork. The one area that also rusts out is the right rear kickup just forward of the rear axle. Mainly I believe from dirt and water that gets trapped. Look for patches on the frame. While under the car look at the color of the fiberglass panels that they all match. Look under the front fenders to see if any work was done. Look in the grill area also to see if work was done. Study the paint and see if there are any stress cracks and misalignment issues.

Some guys like survivors although true survivors are rare. Many make small changes and pretend they are survivors. If it is a true survivor that may have additional value. Of course if the interior is in need of updating that may affect the value negatively. The only other caution I may give you is to forget the high value cars over $100,000. Guys like to pay way too much for restomods, mainly since the builders of these cars spend lavish amounts of money and want to be reimbursed. It is true that some "stock" versions may be around $100,000 but that may be limited to fuelies IMO. If I had to pick a range of value for a "nice" 62 Corvettes "found" in a garage I would say it is somewhere in the range of $30,000 (on the low end due to issues) to right around $60,000 for an excellent example. Remember it is easy to throw around high values in speculation but quite another to actually get it in a sale. If there is anything special about the car it might raise the value. If I was a buyer these days I would consider some cars already done since the cost of restoration can get out of hand and some guys price these cars accordingly. Good luck.

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I know there's a lot of interest in sports cars in the Tulsa area, with a Corvette club, several pretty high end restoration shops, Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, etc. I'd check with the Corvette club first to see if they can recommend an appraiser, and go from there.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Man, a first generation Corvette for sale local and I am broke as usual... Maybe someday. :D

Anyway, I have several buddies in a local corvette club that might be able to help with a good appraiser near you as well if needed. Shoot me a pm if I can help any.

18. Story of my life, if it was 25 cents all I could do is run up and down the road yelling about how cheap it is.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and guthriesmith like this.
  19. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Wishing you the best on this venture!
    I've driven ( not owned - 61 - 68 - 76 ) three Corvettes. I know everything should make sense ( Price and Condition ). The approach often in my case is to go blind get it home then suffer the negatives while enjoying ownership.
    I realize your experienced callouses make the approach practical.

427 sleeper, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. Yea, I have had a few third generation vettes over the years and even have a kid driving one now. Several years ago, I painted and worked on several first and second generation vettes and decided I need a first generation vette some day. But, by the time I get to where I can afford one (if that ever happens), my knees will probably fail me to where I can’t drive the stick car that it would have to be. :(

21. "my knees will probably fail me to where I can’t drive the stick car that it would have to be. :("
    Sold my C5 convertible, stick at 73 for that reason so you've still got time.

22. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The weakness I suffer is for a '57. Given the chance I would let all my junkers go. The style alone would carry any impurities ( aka mods. ). I love the single headlamp. As far as comfort my lady would want to trade me in... Oh hey gotta have those dual quads.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Boneyard51, scotty t and guthriesmith like this.