Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Signal switch Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I found a signal switch for my 1930 Model A hot rod i am building . I took this out of a junkyard this past weekend out of a late 1930s truck.

signal.jpg

I did learn from the HAMB that the flasher will only work when its under load. Meaning that the lights all need to be hooked up to it. I was trying to test with one test light. No go. The flasher is a three prong flasher.

It’s an eight wire switch. Two go to the flasher. Four go to the front and rear lights. It even has a light on the end of the turn lever that blinks when the signal lights are on. I cleaned it up it and was able to figure out the wiring for all except two wires. These two wires do not have power. I read on line that maybe parking brake light? If so, how would i test this switch and how it functions with the brakes before i put it away and say it is good for later use?

I am now researching the signal light, brake light, running light wiring.

Thank you for your help

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You have a Signal Stat 800. You should be able to find a wiring diagram on the net in 10 seconds ....
    7 of the wires are for the normal turn operation. The other one is for emergency flashers. The idea here is for a separate power source so the turn signals work only with ignition switched power, but the 4 way will work with the switch off. The 4 ways are activated by sliding the stamped thing under the handle up or down.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  3. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I have a 6 wire signal and cannot find diagram on internet. Help

4. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

Thanks for the help. Now i need more help please. I have the wiring diagram, just need some clarification for my application.

First, are "Parking lights" what we consider running lights? Or lights we use at night?

Front lights will be a Guide headlight with a signal light on top. These are two different wire feeds for the set up.

Rear lights are from a 52 ford crestline. One bulb, dual filament. I planned on this working as brakes, signal and running lights.

I have modified the wiring schematic for the signal stat 800 to show i have separate front signal lights.
    InkedSignalStat800Diagram MARKED UP FOR 52 FORD AND HEADLIGHTS.jpg

5. On a pull type headlight switch, the first position is 'parking lights and tailights'.

Second pull position is headlights and taillights.

Dash lights on in both positions. Some switches have a connector for parking lights to be on in both positions, also.

What headlight switch are you using?

6. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

still no reply on 6 wire turn signal

7. Budget36

Budget36

Sometimes a new thread is in order;)

8. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I am not sure what headlight switch to use. I had not even thought about it. I am open to suggestions. This is my first build. I am not opposed to new or used.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i have a signal-stat 900, 7 wire, not too bad a looking housing, pm me

10. Since you have separate front signal lights; you should be able to ignore the parking light connection.

The parking light connection was only there because most original parking lights were signal filament bulbs and the signal switch was internally constructed to let them also function as turn signals. Same way it does with the brake lights on the rear.

11. Unless it is one of the weird switches; 6 wires should be left front, right front, left rear, right rear, brake light, and flasher.

Take a couple minutes with a meter or powered test light and check the the continuity with the switch in the center, then in the left and right positions.

Center should have 3 wires in continuity: these would be left rear, right rear, brake light and by switching to the left and right positions you can ID the 3 wires.

Left position should have 5 wires in continuity: left rear, right rear, brake light, left front and flasher, you already know 3 of these from the first test and by switching positions, you can ID left front, right front, and flasher.

Right position should confirm the previous wire ID's.

pprather likes this.