Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Priced out of market

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's not just pickups, and it's not just old cars, literally everything has gone up over the last 10 - 11 months. Have you not seen the news reports on inflation? How much is gasoline in your area? How about steaks? There are still some bargains out there, but the vast majority of cars/trucks for sale are over priced right now, it's a sellers market. I suspect the bubble may burst by this spring, but time will tell, maybe it will take a little longer. In the meantime, now is not the time to be buying, unless you find a good deal, and/or you can afford to lose whatever you spend on it. Smart money would sell now, buy cheap later.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Very true. I didn’t need the 57 Chevy I bought last May even though my whole life I wanted one. So since banks don’t pay crap in interest any longer I figured I'll drive my money around until it’s time to cash it back out.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  3. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

There's always somebody with something for sale that doesn't know what prices have done over the last few years. Usually people who aren't on the internet. Seek them out, seek out the good deals. Put up wanted ads at the grocery store bulletin boards, in the local free papers, let local people know that you're looking for something. A good deal will show up. They are out there.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- trap? always thought that is the way to do business

Paul, '28phonebooth, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

The trucks we like are getting older, just like us. I managed to get collector car insurance on my truck and it is a 1996 model. What happened?

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My son and grandson found a late '60s Ranchero (OT?) in Texas and flew down and bought it and drove it home to CA. When I questioned what he paid for it he said just driving it out of Texas into California increased its value by $2K more than what he paid for it.

Blues4U, clem and Tman like this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you don't have the cash, sell off your bikes and extra parts. If it's still not enough $$$, set your sights lower.
    Maybe instead of a turn key beat up driver truck, you start with a titled roller that needs everything. Like Adam said working with rust = sweat equity.
    As Indy said, "work" to find a truck in the wild and be ready to buy at the drop of a hat.. Hit garage sales, look in yards, knock on doors, network.

Chevy trucks are super hot. Maybe look for something that's less popular-Dodge, IH, etc...

My Hot Rod economics 101 plan; "Work O/T or a 2nd job and don't farm anything out". Can you work O/T at your job? If not, there's zillions of jobs open. Co's are desperate for good workers. As an example, a friend of my Daughter's applied at a dept store. They made a job offer on the spot working part time graves doing restocks @ 1.50 the hourly rate (50% shift premium!).

My other Hot Rod fund mantra; "If you can't increase what's coming in, decrease what's going out".
    Quite simply, I'm a major do it yourselfer. This starts with brown bagging it to work, which saves $15 a day = $300+ a month right there. No $6 per AM Starbucks or 2x day to 7-11 for impulse expensive beef jerky, etc. either. I'm not paying anyone to maintain my yard work, wash/detail or work on my daily driver's, etc.
    If something goes wrong around the house, I'm the HVAC, plumber, electrician, painter, appliance repair, home improvement guy etc. There's no way I'm going to stand in my kitchen and watch some guy charge $200 to unclog my sink. Get out the tools and do it myself.
    None of this is fun or easy but some of us have to make sacrifices to earn what we really want.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Side question (because they were mentioned earlier) what years are Square body trucks?

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

OT 73-87 Chevy

427 sleeper, 2OLD2FAST and Budget36 like this.
  10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Everything has gone up
    Cars,houses etc
    It,s nothing new

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely do consider IHC ( International Harvestor Co. )
    Maybe not the most beautiful trucks ever built, but no doubt, some of the most well built bodies and frames ever constructed!

There are still hidden treasures out there in the farming communities across the country. Places like South Dakota, eastern Washington state. I have had several in the last 40 years, no regrets!

You just have to get out there and beat the bushes and cruise through the heartland on some less traveled roads, and keep your eyes open and have some cash ready as well. It never hurts to have a pair of binoculars with you to get a better look at what's in a field.
    My favorite years of IHC, is 46 and 56.

12. The Dakotas are pretty picked over. I see stuff from Mo to Kansas to OK to Texas and Nebraska for better prices. It comes down to our lack of population..

Hot Rods Ta Hell and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

I see you're in NY. Got any friends, relatives in a different climates? Less salt less rust.
    Go stay a few days and find a suitable project. You'll be thousands ahead in bodywork.

41 GMC K-18 and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Even though OT, the '69->'75 IH pu & Travelall + Traveller are probably the best looking, & best built of the IHs. & everything was heavy-duty from the factory. Parts are not an issue, esp since mail-order became a thing 20+ yrs ago. Some of us have a few of these things, & even though we sought them out vigorously for what they are, have a few too many projects competing w/a fixed amount of energy, so would sell reasonable. The body steel used in those years does have a tendency to rust, but it seems that patches are available now? Conventional wisdom has it that only IH's rust, & the old big 3 are pure as the wind-driven snow, but in MN, that wind-driven snow goes from the great outdoors right thru into the cabs w/o much resistance. Still prefer a decent IH over "the big three", Ih's v8s had a useable torque curve like a table, that made driving &/or towing a genuine smile-making experience. & since you don't see them everyday, they do get noticed. Maybe not what you want, but group-think & thought-compliance is not my thing. YMMV.

Don't overlook anything in a particular area, due to perceived rust location issues. A lot of projects have been already brought into those areas from "better" places. I've done it. IH's from Missouri, Texas, etc.

Then, of course, there are Studebakers.

If you have some bucks, go to Hemmings, or search out Marque-specific clubs & wade thru their ads. Or various streetrod clubs, incl MSRA. You'll find something, somewhere.
    Marcus...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Truckedup

Truckedup

I am not poor and can afford to buy an expensive vehicle for cash...But at my age anything can happen, and I want my cash reserve to be able to pay for health related shit and most importantly, never be burden to anyone....
    Looking at 60's through early 80's trucks for sale, I see no real difference in price be it GM ,Ford, Dodge or IHC...

scotty t likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Then buy an expensive truck while you can still enjoy it....

and quit complaining about the cost :)

Jibs, unfinished, i.rant and 10 others like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Life would be boring if we did not have a WANT on our list.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If costs $1 + per mile to ride around looking for stuff , so much for saving money that way .

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  19. Truckedup

Truckedup

You edited the quote for your opinion and not to show my reason for being reluctant to spend big money..Now that's not fair ;)
    Complaining? More like making statements based on the current steep rise in prices....

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

none mine - Sacramento, CA area 20211128_095839.jpg 20211128_100058.jpg 20211128_100147.jpg 20211128_100416.jpg 20211128_100955.jpg 20211128_101047.jpg

Budget36 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. IMG_20211127_175357_047.jpg
    Want an f1?
    Needs everything...ill trade you for some work on a 270gmc!!
    Too bad you're so far away

Budget36 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Did that fox get a custom dye job at the hairdresser trying to look like a raccoon?

23. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If all you do is search the internet, then all you'll see is high market price. If you regard networking and beating bushes as a costly burden, then pay market and consider it money well spent.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, even though it adds hidden cost. For me it's all part of the hobby.

As a lifetime sportfisherman, I've got salmon down to something like $300 a pound. Worth every penny.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Money has no value, unless it's spent"
    In reference to the price of gasoline, and cost per mile, that is an element that is always going to be a " grin and bare it " thorn in the wallet, regardless of if its fuel for the hunt or fuel for the truck you found and bought, and hopefully enjoyed while driving it!

Grinning to myself here, I can totally relate to @ClarkH And the $300.00 a pound salmon! YMMV!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife and I have been looking at alternative cars to our paid off daily drivers. During this pandemic, we have been looking at old hot rods, like a 1940 Ford two door/4 door sedans. We had a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327 and it was 6 years of wonderful moments and memories cruising all over So Cal areas, from the coastal waters to the deserts/mountains.

So, the pandemic savings are available for something different to make things somewhat normal for us. We love to take road trips, but have been limited like all of us. So, we still take shorter rides to get the pandemic cloud a little less obnoxious in our daily drivers.

upload_2021-11-28_11-1-33.png
    Back then was a great time to be 20 somethings and pretty much carefree. High paying jobs? Who cared, we had enough to get by for the two of us. Us against the world, involved hot rods and motorcycles, too. Our custom Harley sportster was used almost daily and definitely on early morning road trips down the coast to our favorite coffee/snack shop in Newport Beach. The first world wide flu hit So Cal hard and we all had to do our part to help make it go away.

We had our lives somewhat organized and with little money, made things work. We did not get a beat up project and spend a fortune getting it ready to use as a daily driver. But, we did budget our income and made it work for us. Some things had to go and some things were put on hold. I needed a lager photo enlarger as that portion of the business was starting to boom. But, our years old 35mm enlarger was still good and we decided to save the difference for other things.

Also, a larger size camera was becoming a necessity, if I was thinking of presenting a full color slide for inclusion/selection for a cover shot or the popular full size center spread, despite the staples. The two 35mm cameras just had to have perfect composition and focus to be included for those covers and centerspread until we could afford a larger size camera.

When things got a little “hairy,” one or more of our "20 something" toys had to go. Any early to late model Chevy trucks can be had from low cost ones that need a lot of work to high dollar ones that have all the work done. But the largest group is the one with those trucks that have something done and the projects can proceed as much or as little as you want or need. Just buy one of those mid range project trucks, fix it to be safe and go enjoy the outdoors.

Jnaki
    Some of those advertised hot rod prices are too high for the return investment. Not everything is going to be exactly like you want it. so, that takes into account what you are willing to pay. like real estate, location is hard to change. so, your choice of trucks and what it has, will take to get to your specifications is the important. the truck style is difficult to change, so work with what your can spare and what it should take to make it yours.

The expenditure is not so great as to having to take a big hit. The cost obviously will be adjusted for income and savings. Since most all of us have to have some kind of monthly cost for transportation and convenience, set aside an amount and stick with it. It has worked out for us all of these years and with a little thought, savings and getting rid of other projects or items might become a necessity.
    upload_2021-11-28_11-1-50.png
    What were the two things that had to go when we bought a new house? The custom, Harley Sportster and then as our family grew, the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. We were no longer a 20 something couple, but parents, expanding our family to three. Decisions and family make it easy to do what is necessary. YRMV

i.rant, deucemac and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Auctions are what happened to early 60’s C-10’s. C-20’s followed and are way way over priced as are 70’s. Short bed style and step sides have always been popular and in my neck of the woods Fords were held up too by the Mexican/American communities near me.
    Personally you couldn’t give me a 60-63 Chev pickup. Earlier or later OK but not those 3 years. Good luck on your search.

Tman likes this.
  27. HotRod33

HotRod33

Most Everyone wants to complain about the high cost for vehicles .... But those same guys complaining also wants top dollar when they sell anything...

28. Budget36

Budget36

Heck, I didn’t know I had one. I always thought they were early 60’s.
    Someday I’ll catch up on all the lingo;)

29. indyjps

indyjps

Ah come on. :D $4-5 bucks a gallon and 10 mph doesn't add up to that. Trying to stay neutral here delete if necessary... the same thing happened the last time the leader pushed alternative energy, same as this leader. Fuel prices were manipulated or taxed up to push the agenda.
    Now if the masses go electric there's more gas powered cars for us. :rolleyes:

Part of the fun is the hunt. If folks shop for vintage cars online like it's Amazon, order one up, and can you deliver - thats fine - but there's no deals to be had.

Comes back to time vs money. If you need something very specific or need it right now, then pay the going rate.

30. Budget36

Budget36

You question is the reason why teens and younger folks don’t/can’t get into the hobby and play with tuner cars.