Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New shop sign

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yes that was exactly my thought.

2. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Haha I don’t get to the shop very often after dark but when I get one I’ll post it here

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I thought I hit send when I wrote my reply but apparently not. Anyway, great sign! Thanks for your build details. { I won’t even mention the missing apostrophe!}. LOL. Your are truly “Lucky”!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-11-22_3-55-5.png

Hello,

That is a great sign. It should look fine when it is completely lit up with interior lights. If the LUCKYS white lettering portion were made of the same opaque plastic, then the top lettering part could also light up. (if it doesn’t have any inside as of now.) Since the sign looks as if it can be taken apart to get access to the interior, then simple lighting will work with a minimal wiring leading out and within the brackets for a clean installation.

Back when So Cal's Myers-Manx Company went out of business for whatever reason, the shop and manufacturing warehouse was seen my millions off of the 405 freeway heading toward Long Beach. It was in an Orange County industrial district and right next to the freeway in Southern industrial Fountain Valley. We could see it every day we drove past it.

At times, that place had tons of cars parked on the side streets and on the driveway/work yard, were tons of Myers-Manx Dune Buggies. It was the place for the construction and distribution. A busy place as far as old cars being converted to new Manx Dune Buggies of all different colors.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-6-45.png
    Then, one day a sign with a real estate agent’s company was on the wall, the parking spaces were empty and the lot was barren like a new industrial building. The only remaining thing was a giant Myers/Manx Sign stuck hanging from the top of the concrete roof wall.
    upload_2021-11-22_3-57-56.png
    I drove the 65 El Camino around the building and found the door open, so I asked the guy working on cleaning up the building if it was ok to get the sign down. He said that he could not help, but if I could get it down, he would appreciate it for a clean lease or rental look.
    upload_2021-11-22_3-59-32.png
    So, I had a lot of nylon straps and together, I had enough length to wrap the sign several times, lift it off of the wall position and gently lower it to the ground. It was not that heavy as most of it was the plastic face plate and thin wall "L" metal for the surround. As I got it to the ground, it fit perfectly in the bed of the El Camino. A few blankets and off it went back to my house.

Your sign, if the top portion is not lit up can be easily wired with some fluorescent lighting for a nice glow in the evening or dark days. The other types of bulbs are too bright and show up as single light blobs through the opaque plastic. The fluorescent light spreads the light throughout the whole sign and looks quite nicely. Well, it did after I installed the lighting apparatus.

Jnaki

upload_2021-11-22_4-2-48.png
    The only place tall enough was this long hallway downstairs leading out to the car port. It looked nice and when I connected the fluorescent light inside, the whole hallway lit up and it just glowed in the dark. It was a giant night light.

The large painting replaced the Myers Manx sign as I gave it away to a Porsche/VW repair shop in Dana Point, CA. They were going to get a new opaque plastic sheet and have the local painter put on some lettering advertising their business. It would fit perfectly as their extended roof wall lip had the same thickness as the old Myers Manx Building in Fountain Valley. The last time I saw the sign was of it sitting in their fenced in parts yard behind their building.

Your new sign is great, but your name should also be the main part that lights up and shows the world where your shop is open for business. YRMV

Stogy and alanp561 like this.
  5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I do not want my sign to light up. This is why I built it this way. I will have some side spot lights that will illuminate it when I desire. I have built many lighted signs like the lower portion of my sign that does light up. Neon or building the main part into a box sign I simply did not want. Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Stogy, alanp561, carpok and 5 others like this.
  6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thanks for sharing this! The sign is bad ass and even cooler that you made it!

Stogy, Deuces, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank you Kevin!

Stogy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Seconded!

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's a beautiful sign!! Lippy

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Nailed it Dog, Straight Up!

14. Super professional job!

Stogy, Deuces, Lucky Burton and 2 others like this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You went for the fence with this one , Grand Slam . Looks great

Stogy, chevy57dude, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Now that is as sharp as a 3 edged razor

17. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank You

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  18. chrisp

chrisp

Superb, currently looking for inspiration for my own shop sign. What you built is definitely the best I've seen to date.

Lucky Burton, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

NICE You make me want to move to Burbank!

Lucky Burton, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  21. How fast is it, though ?? :)

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Excellent work, and imagination. 65 yrs from now, Pickers will delight in finding this.

Thanks,

jim

Lucky Burton and loudbang like this.
  23. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank you!

loudbang likes this.