Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Resume break-in flat tappet camshaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jose55, Nov 24, 2021.

1. jose55

jose55

Hi, im doing the break-in flat tappet camshaft, is an sbc 350, the engine is complete stock, springs, cam, heads. The engine was assembled with all the parts new. The break in process started and in the middle of the break in the radiator went bad, the engine was running 5 o 6 minutes 1800 - 2000 rpm before the issue. Now i got a new radiator and is already installed in the car, my question?
    Whats the best way or procedure to resume the break in since the engine has been sitting for 2 months?
    I dont want to do anything wrong to damage the camshaft

2. All I can tell you is that I had a friend years ago that had a problem during the cam break-in process and it was interrupted after 10 minutes of run time . He solved the problem and continued with the break-in . Cam got wiped out, 3 lobes. I am not saying this will be your experience but..... Good luck, hope everything turns out good for you.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure everything is ready to go then light her off and immediately continue the break in procedure. I like to use Valvoline non-synthetic VR-1 and a bottle of STP, both are loaded with good old fashion zinc.

-Abone.

stillrunners and cvstl like this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

I'm not seeing what difference it would make. As long as the engine fires right off as it should you should be good to go.

jaracer and lippy like this.

5. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Make sure its fueled and ready to fire and hit the starter..... soon as its running continue with your break-in. I had to stop my last one after 5 or 10 minutes....... over a week later, I got it ready again and ran it another 20 minutes or so, no issues.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Assuming you already have the ZDDP additive and break in oil you should reprime the engine You can rent the real tool from Autozone for free.

alanp561, irishsteve and mad mikey like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

If you are using a break in oil a stock engine should be no problem

mad mikey and Tickety Boo like this.
  8. jose55

jose55

Thats what i was thinking, reprime the engine and start it up again, i have the tool to prime the engine and before the engine was started the first time moly-graphite lube was applied all over the cam and lucas zddp additive was added to the oil

9. Why re prime ?
    If it had oil pressure before,,,it will again as soon as it fires .
    It has already been running on the bearings and rings .
    Oil is in all of the passages .
    I would worry more about disturbing the distributor and not getting the timing back right .

Tommy

10. jose55

jose55

Im afraid because the last time the engine was started was 2 month ago, and now i will reprime the engine and start again, i think this the best way to go

11. jose55

jose55

I know what you say about the oil in the system but i will feel better if i know as soon the engine start the oil is already on the bearing and i can put rpm up

12. Jose, are you using a zinc additive?

13. jose55

jose55

Yes, lucas zddp additive

14. You know priming it again won’t re-oil the cam lobes…that’s splash. I would fire it and do the break in.

razoo lew, belair, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If you've already got the timing set close enough for the break-in run I'm with the guys that says don't pull the distributor again to prime it. Start it up and bring the rpm's up and hold it there.

lumpy 63, mad mikey, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  16. Kinda like when Scooby-Doo would jump out the window of the haunted house to get the Skelton key, climb back in the window, to unlock the door and go back outside lol. Camshaft break in lube and all of the other assembly lube is already in the oil pan. But if priming the oil system makes you feel better, then hammer down. Personally, if it didn't have any lifter issues already, it's good to go.

17. spanners

spanners

Fire it up, watch the oil pressure gauge (hopefully at least a temporary one installed) for good pressure and bring it up to break-in revs for 20 minutes.

18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I had mine interrupted 3 times, turned out fine. I did not re-prime, I did use Lucas additive.

mad mikey, Truck64 and Tickety Boo like this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If you've re-installed distributors before it's old hat, but a lot of people seem to have trouble, break-in is not the best time to have trouble getting the engine to fire.

20. Make sure the engine fires off immediately, run up to 2000 rpm and run 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on everything and listen close to the engine. It helps to also have a buddy, extra set of eyes and ears. Should be fine.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Over many years I've had to stop during a cam breakin due to some leak, or temps getting too high. I simply fixed the problem, and resumed the procedure afterwards. I usually end up doing more time than I might have if it had been done in one step, but more time never hurt a cam breakin.

mad mikey, belair and Blues4U like this.
  22. sdluck

sdluck

I see many question on cams and breaking,one thing Dema Elgin told me was install the cam and spin it with a speed handle make sure the lifter rotate,also many performance cam recommend to remove heavy spring or take the inner one out to brake in the cam. When you get the block see if you can get the old camshaft to see if any of the lifter bores are out of index.

23. I feel like break in is more of a go-no go test. It either works out or it doesn't.

24. RmK57

RmK57

That's a great idea spinning the cam around by hand with a lifter installed. I have my engine picked apart now with a new cam lifters coming. I'm going to try it.

25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Any flat tappet cam break in is an exercise in finger crossing. The results are going to vary from engine to engine if you have to shut down and resume later. I would reprime the oiling system before actually trying to start the engine again. Why ?........you ask. Well, it can't hurt your result any, and it might actually help.

You could just restart the engine and everything works perfectly.........or you could just restart the engine and it fails no matter if you took any precaution or not. But it definitely won't hurt anything to prime the oil system no matter what.