Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Loadmatic distributors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Nov 21, 2021.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been looking in threads for the reference to shop I believe in the Northwest which rebuilds these and can covert them to centrifugal. I’ve looked in other sites I frequent but have not found the reference…..Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. sdluck

sdluck

GMC Bubbba?

3. flatjack

flatjack

I've never heard of anyone doing that.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless there is no suitable later-model replacement, or aftermarket replacement, a centrifugal retrofit is in order.

What engine?

jimmy six likes this.

5. jimmy six likes this.
  6. There used to be two guys in Woodburn Oregon that built Chrysler and Y Block distributors but I don't know of any conversions from a Loadmatic to centrifugal. They had updated electronic units with ball bearing upper housings but have since went out of business last I heard. There is a company making almost the same thing called TSP (top street performance) that makes a Y Block unit that is a plug and play unit and has the centrifugal advance under the rotor much like a MSD or GM unit. I don't see it listed on their site anymore but you can look and get an idea what it looks like. I have a new one of those I would be willing to sell. Mark https://www.topstreetperformance.com/

jimmy six likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="gimpyshotrods, post: 14281854, member: 82854"

What engine?[/QUOTE]

54-56 yblock. Aftermarket are larger and the some of the 57-64 are using later SBF parts that are not lining up. Good ones are getting scarce.

8. Did you call Timmy? He may know. @mctim64

9. speedshifter

speedshifter

I really do not believe it is possible to rbld a Loadamatic dist. to a centrifugal dist. There is simply not enough room in a shallow Loadamatic hsg. to incorporate a centrifugal advance unit.. speedshifter Greg White

10. RmK57

RmK57

If you convert to centrifugal advance or update to a modern distributor would you have replace the carburetor also? those LOM carbs had that spark control valve in them.

11. jaracer

jaracer

Tony (Philbin Group) does a really good job on distributors, but I don't think he does a conversion.

12. jaracer

jaracer

No, the centrifugal advance distributors don't need a venturi vacuum source. You can run the vacuum advance off ported or manifold vacuum. However, if you run a Load-O-Matic, you must have a carb with a venturi vacuum source.

13. 55blacktie

55blacktie

A CRT Performance electronic distributor will fit. Ted Eaton tested one and posted results on y-blocksforever.com. You can also go to eatonbalancing.com and read how to modify the Holley 4000 Teapot carburetor for compatibility with a 57-up distributor (including the CRT). However, you can't modify the Loadomatic distributor to work with 57-up carburetors. Your car will run, but not well.

14. 54-56 yblock. Aftermarket are larger and the some of the 57-64 are using later SBF parts that are not lining up. Good ones are getting scarce.[/QUOTE]
    The TSP unit I bought is the same diameter as the stock unit and it has the correct length shaft and gear. Many of the units that were out there had a shaft that was 1/4" too short and the wrong gear, they were 289/302 units reboxed as Y-Block units. The too short shafts caused very little engagement into the oil pump driveshaft.

jimmy six likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the replies. I’m well aware of what’s out there and am trying to help out a fellow who is now starting to look for the replacement parts. 10 years ago things were not as bad and not as many pre-56 were being done that seem to want to keep the original style engine.
    I’m sure I read what I’m looking for just a few week’s ago. The weights on the top intrigues me…. Didn’t think that was possible.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some of the pre-57 LOM equipped engines had a distributor drive gear with a different # of teeth didn't they? Aka "can't get there from here".

A lot of this stuff is not nearly as simple as it might seem at first, or somebody would have taken care of it already.

jimmy six likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The early ones 54 Fords and maybe Mercs.

Truck64 likes this.
  19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Remember to check the drive on the bottom of the Distributor : the earliest "Y-blocks"(Ford/ Mercury / Lincoln) had a blade & slot instead of the hex shaft. If they do, you will also need to change the shaft & oil pump to match the distributor

Truck64 and jimmy six like this.
  20. The TSP unit I bought is the same diameter as the stock unit and it has the correct length shaft and gear. Many of the units that were out there had a shaft that was 1/4" too short and the wrong gear, they were 289/302 units reboxed as Y-Block units. The too short shafts caused very little engagement into the oil pump driveshaft.[/QUOTE]
    Here is a link to the TSP unit for a Y-block, they are out of stock but it shows the advance mechanism under the cap and the basic shape and size. It came with several different sets of springs for the advance weights. https://www.topstreetperformance.com/pro-series-ready-to-run-distributor-ford-y-block-3445

21. When I started researching Y Block distributors I went to this site and it was very helpful on everything EXCEPT for the 57 "ball bearing" distributor. No one could tell me the difference in that one year only and where was the ball bearing they were referring to. I ended up buying one and taking it apart and it was not what I expected at all. Takes the same points, cap, and rotor as the 58 and up but the vacuum advance is different as it has a straight arm opposed to a curved arm. This prevents installation of a pertronix module in the ball bearing 57 distributor, the mechanical advance mechanism is completely different as well. The ball bearing is the actual point plate itself and not the shaft as I expected. I will try to attach some pictures of the 57 unit. Mark IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

dana barlow and Truck64 like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Ball bearings were used until 1959. You can use Pertronix I and II in the ball-bearing distributors, but not Pertronix III.

dana barlow likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I use a ball bearing dual point aftermarket kit,in my 57 Ford Dis.; Dyna-Flyte model # 378-D. <can still be found 4sale if you look,for about $50 for kit.= a lot more then in the early 60s. I should of got more kits.
    It replaces the Ford ball bearing plate with a new ball bearing plate that holds Dual Points**.
    I don't like Pertronix,if you do,be sure to have a extra unit with you. You can not fix them,when they stop,they are total dead crap. Yes,I do keep extra points an con. with me too,but that is much lower cost.

24. Interesting, I tried to install a pertronix 1 in this distributor and it hit the vacuum advance arm and prevented full movement. I installed the same pertronix part in a 1962 truck Y Block unit and it worked fine, not sure why except the later unit has a curved vacuum advance arm.

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's possible to install the later style breaker plate on those. The ball bearing type are considered better, if they are serviceable. And that's the problem with all this stuff, it's getting worn by now and putting together a good unit can be tedious. Ask me how I know.

The reluctors are hard to find. If you're running points especially it is important that the distributor cam lobes are smooth, not excessively worn. The reluctor slots too are prone to getting trashed. The "fat comma" centrifugal weights have steel pins that get worn flat where they ride in the reluctor slots. Dennis Carpenter has those weights. The reluctor slots can be brazed up and filed straight. What happens is the advance becomes erratic when all that stuff is loosey goosey.

What I found is the bushing & distributor shaft are also prone to excessive wear by now, if you want a good points distributor without any sideplay, both need to be replaced. Now at that point you're looking at drilling and locating very accurately the distributor drive gear, as service replacement distributor shafts are not drilled. In effect it's a custom one off kind of thing.

26. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s FBO in Cottage Grove OR. Last post this page on Marty’s 368 Lincoln build. It’s not entire HAMB friendly, but it’s worth a look just to see the adaptor for the injection manifold and Weber’s.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148849-15.aspx

jimmy six likes this.
  27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

People either love/hate the Pertronix conversion. Electronic distributors either work, or they don't. If I don't use a CRT Performance aftermarket distributor (pretty sure it's the same as TSP), I will put a Pertronix II in my 57 distributor. A family member has used a Pertronix I in his 65 Mustang for many years w/o issue.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m going to contact them… thanks. It wasn’t the HAMB where I read about it. It was on yblocksforever….

29. alchemy

alchemy

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway