Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Your worst car insult by someone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Nov 20, 2021.

1. I got a free 49 merc from a friend. He removed the front clip and dash. Was going to scrap the rest. “It’s a 4 door parts car” was the reasoning.

Another friend gave me a complete 51 merc 4 door for the same reasoning.
    Sometimes it’s a good thing

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

mad mikey and Moriarity like this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Shit you not, multiple times in this truck.
    IMG_0565.JPG

"I have one just like that, but its a ford, and its got nitrous, and I think its a 1985.."

treb11, Fitty Toomuch and mad mikey like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m not going to disagree. But what do want it called? A 30’s-40’s coupe, sedan, roadster, etc with an engine/trans/rear end/tire-wheel swap is called a street or hot rod; it’s way better than the newer term “resto”. Just asking.

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

To a non car person, the terms hot rod/street rod are interchangeable. To them they both mean 'old car of curiosities which I know absolutely nothing about'. Now if someone HERE said that, I'd understand your beef...

GirchyGirchy and Moriarity like this.
  6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Called these 2 cars a Rat Rod! [​IMG][​IMG]

210superair likes this.
  7. My principal in HS constantly had me move my old beater truck from the front of the school.
    Said it was an eyesore.

jimmy six, 210superair and mad mikey like this.
  8. Yep. Every car category or label is subjective to the beholder.
    Who cares what someone labels it if you dig it

9. Your rides do have modern pieces in the spectrum of hot rodding
    A modern ohv engine when compared to its original.
    They’re modernized with vintage pieces

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. Compared to a flathead, yes:):)
    I like digging through old car magazines and learning about all the “modernization” that was used.
    This place does a good job of representing 1965 and down modernization of vintage rides.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Awhile back I was reading through a build thread on here. One guy was hammering the OP on everything like, " you should do this" and "you shouldn't do that" and "that looks terrible " etc. I posted a remark "what have you built?" He said "he is an expert with many builds and modifications on here, check it out". So I did. My first time going through someone's history on this site. I went back 7 years and found nothing but snarky posts and comments that made me more angry. Then I found it, he made an air cleaner from an existing base and some sheet metal. I went back to the thread where the battle had taken place.
    I explained that I went back 7 years on his history and "I apologize sir, I see you made an air cleaner" I thought that was the worst insult EVER. He didn't get it, he thanked me

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
    anthony myrick likes this.
  13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell them "SURE" & show them the receipt!!

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shoulda' went to the gun shop & ask for a Red Ryder BB gun.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IS THAT A "KIT CAR"???????

16. phat rat

phat rat

Where is it written that a hot rod can't use newer parts or it becomes a street rod? If that's the case then my 17 T (avatar) is a street rod because the trans is a 70's 4spd?

17. Budget36

Budget36

I mentioned this in another thread, but some of the comments have me posting it again.
    I stopped at a convience store, was a nice (to me) unpainted late 20’s, early 30’s Chevy pickup. I was looking it over, it looked well built.
    The owner/driver came out of the store and I told him “nice hot rod” he told me it’s “not a hotrod, it’s a rat rod”.
    Okay.

Fitty Toomuch, clem and 210superair like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

The thing is it might piss you off, but if someone is admiring your car it should be taken as a compliment.
    If you and they have the time for you to tactfully explain the difference, all good. You just educated someone. If they don’t have or you don’t have the time, just take it as a compliment and move along;)

19. With a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time?

ebs121781 likes this.
  20. I don't take the coupe to tons of car shows, but when I do I always get asked by someone if the blower is functional. It doesn't bother me, I just reply, what other kind is there? Or, my boost gauge says it is functional. The other question I get often is, what gas mileage does it get. Not insulting really at all, but does get a little old.;)

Fitty Toomuch, loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  21. Exactly. Here's a heads up for you. If these are the sorts of things that insult or piss you off, you are a congenital asshole looking for things to piss you off all day long. You really expect every Joe Schmo in the A&P parking lot to know every bit of car lingo. Get over yourself. I ride a very unusual motorcycle and get asked questions all the time. Many are silly but not one of them has ever upset me in any way

22. I’ll agree with the sentiment of you’re assessment
    I enjoy car shows/cruise ins. Even what we consider dumb questions are opportunities to educate.
    Street rod, hot rod, rat rod, ugly, cool, junk, holy grail ....... are all different opinions. All have the same worth, zero. Including mine.
    messing with the uptight car guy can get entertaining.

23BB66C3-82F6-4043-9E44-049BA1A0AAF4.jpeg

23. And? Well come on Mike! How many miles (smiles) per gallon does it get?

Boneyard51 and mad mikey like this.
  24. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

949254AA-FD34-47EA-A23C-F56CDF176D89.jpeg “Old Car of Curiosities” I like that one!

25. Maybe we should hand out secret decoder rings.

26. Has there been a rash of beatings administered from all the “hoodlums” because someone used an offensive car term?

27. Do you build cars for others approval?

I don’t. Let ‘em call them whatever they want

28. tim troutman

tim troutman

that's a hell of a car but that color is horrible 100_0389.JPG

29. Ya know what I'm starting to figure out? Yes, there are people in this world that base their existence on what other people think about them, their self worth is crushed when they don't get a trophy at a car show, and they don't build their car to what they want, they build it (or pay someone else to build it) to suit everyone else. Just build the car you want, build it the way you want it, and drive the hell out of it!!!!

30. I usually tell them it gets 0 miles to the gallon.:D. And lots of smiles Lloyd, when she is not trying to scare the sh%t out of me.:eek: