Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I the Only One ? Aging ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 22, 2021.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

I attended GoodGuys Scottsdale last Saturday and rented a Scooter for the first time. I've been shying away from the big shows, the travel, hassle and I have trouble walking them now so I finally gave in and got the electric scooter. Side note, I did not eat/drink/smoke my way into my health issues, age/time/genetics and previous Fun has come home for me. I will say this was the best idea I've had in awhile, used to say when I can't walk it I'm done, So............ if any other Old Timers are debating, rent one to try it out, the $75 is the best money spent that day. Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas, Be Well, Be Safe ! John

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be 69 this coming March, I don't jog anymore, I walk. When I go to the Portland swap meet, me and my friends take our bicycles so we can ride around on the racetrack part of the swap meet, but when we go to the upper section at the EXPO center, bikes are not allowed in, so us geezers have to walk, and that is a very big venue. At the end of the day, the feet and hips are worn out! So yes, you are not alone in the realm of aging!

Spooky, Lil32, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You just need one of these hoss...
    nratrod3-1.jpeg

4. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

This getting old stuff sucks. I’m 62 and I’m feeling it. Never have smoked, drank very little when I was younger. Had some snowboarding crashes I’m paying for now. But always remember, “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.”

5. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Hot subject with my wife! We went to Holley reunion Bowling Green, haven't been in years. The number of scooters and golfcarts running around was crazy. My wife nearly got run over, I pulled her out of harm's way. I can see how the aging population need them , but a lot of people do not know how to drive them among crowds of walkers.

6. 2935ford

2935ford

I find the reckless scooter drivers drive their cars the same way! :(

Woogeroo, Spooky, reagen and 10 others like this.
  7. low down A

low down A

unfortunally to many people use them that don't need them. and they expect the walking to get out of there way i had one run over my foot in a inside show

8. Deuces

Deuces

At their age, I guess they don't give a shit....:(:rolleyes:

Spooky, Lil32, hudsonmand and 4 others like this.
  9. Agreed..imagine if everyone who can walk used them.

Oilguy and Deuces like this.
  10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

its just you !!..... wow , that would be nice . well not for you . but the whole population is aging .unfort. i did smoke, drink ,over eat and anything else wrong i could . imagine how i feel . i am trying to change my evil ways . but it might be to late . if i had known id make it this long i might have taken better care of my self . no probably not !.........lol

11. Make sure you enjoy life. If that means using a scooter or wheelchair or whatever to get around to see the things you want to see. My mother had copd (couldn't walk far without having to sit and catch her breath) and avoided going out to lots of things due to her pride (she didn't want us to help her in to events etc in a wheelchair). I understood her pride and it of course was her choice, but she missed out on a lot of things I know she would have enjoyed.

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thinking, IMO the scooter deal is like so many things today, a little courtesy, respect with some common sense seems to be disappearing everywhere. I have watched out for scooter guys in the past, always have helped old timers when needed and I watched out for the people around me Saturday to avoid any problems, had only 1 pair, BSn each other, beer in one hand, cancer stick in other, not looking at all where they were walking so as they approached I just said beep beep early so they would not trip over me. No problems, BUT again IMO you have to be on the defense always, driving our cars, parking lots, grocery stores, etc. Speaking from my recent experiences at local racetracks, race fans are good people as It's become a problem for me going up in grandstands now and a lot of local tracks have some old bleachers, pretty shakey, had a couple of younger guys help me without me asking which says something about racing fans, I still believe there's a lot of good people out there.

Driver50x, Lil32, LOST ANGEL and 3 others like this.
  13. I don't call my self getting Old only Getting Young.!
    You start off with ridding a Bike & end up with riding a Bike.!
    or a go kart, I am having problem walking
    I have a problem with my Lower Back and my Doctor said the might
    half to do a operation to scrape the (tail bone) & put some putty
    and I should be good to go.
    The whole Op. will take 1 day go in the AM & back out in the FM home.
    I smoked all of my Life & Drank most of my Life except when I opened my
    first business, than I stopped Drinking Cold Turkey!
    I stoped Smoking 5 years ago & I used to Roll my own.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

winduptoy, ca, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. I was at a stock car race a month back, I was alarmed by the number of YOUNG people with walkers and those scooters. I'm 66 and a little beat up from a car accident 10 years back, but have no mobility issues so far.

When my dad was in a nursing home at 95, I'd say that 75% of the other residents were there due to losing the ability to walk and care for themselves.

15. A couple of years ago, I fractured my ankle just before we went to Knoxville, Tennessee and I was going to go but figured I would find a place to park where I could watch what was coming and going, I figured f I saw something interested I could grab my cane and hobble to that destination.

My pal Dave rented a scooter and really didn't need it and when he came back to where we were parked he told me to use it while he was eating lunch, I did and although I really couldn't do too much walking I did get to see everything I wanted.

There is no doubt that age & physical injury's have contributed to a lot of our not being able to walk around large venues and swap meets, I know for myself having a fused ankle from a serious motorcycle accident in the 70's I can only walk so far, I do try to walk at lest a mile everyday, that helps. HRP

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Lil32, LOST ANGEL, ffr1222k and 6 others like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Luck with your procedure. I have given thought, If you live too long, we all start out in diapers, can end up in diapers, start no teeth, possible end up no teeth, drooling to drooling, know nothing to can't remember anything, I honestly hope I do not last that long, my life has been and is great, just this ending deal can be a little scary, but I'm a lucky guy all my life, blessed in so many ways, (It is What it Is) none of us are promised tomorrow.

17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I think that happened at the Hot rod reunion at Bakersfield, turned into a golf cart reunion...

18. 4tford

4tford

I'm 75 and have neuropathy and need a walker to walk. The walker allows me to go anywhere and really it allows me to keep my balance because of the neuropathy also if you get tired it has a seat to sit on. Good option instead of a scooter.

ca, hudsonmand, WalkerMD and 5 others like this.
  19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here's a few Funny things that happen with age for you youngsters to look forward to. Group conversations, used to be about cars, racing, girls, music, you know, wine women and song. When old, it's tends to be about DR.s, procedures, medications and their side effects, who passed away, And in any group conversion someone changes the subject and pretty soon someone will say, what in the hell are we talking about. Girls walking by, now them 50 year olds are Hotties, a good nights sleep is getting up to pee only 3x. BUT despite any BS I'm talking here, Life is Good, I'm very Thankful and Grateful to here or anywhere, figure I got some good years left, I never leave home without Miss Garmin LOL

Randall, Lil32, hudsonmand and 9 others like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If we all look back, what we did as teens return to seek vengeance on our older bodies. Sandlot football led into high school football and all of its glories. But, the injuries and pains continue to linger well after the teenage years. Even to the point of liking rough and ready sports like Rugby.
    upload_2021-11-22_8-1-54.png photo b VNak
    Soon after my wife and I got married, I had an inkling to return to sand lot football. In our late teens, we still drove our Chevy sedans and hot rods, so there was always a bunch of them at a local Bixby Knolls junior high school football field for the annual Thanksgiving football gathering, rain or shine. But, getting older, college and family life got in the way and soon, that annual event since 1959 stopped. But, the pains wore on as a part of camaraderie.

A new activity came into the picture and it was pure sandlot football at its finest as far as we were concerned. Not that we played in driving rain or bad weather as we did during our pre-teen and teenage years. Organized Rugby had it all, tackling, pushing, shoving, grabbing a football shape and running for your life, to knocking heads with a vicious tackle without pads, like we did in our younger days. But, as all good things happen, there were consequences.

A major knee injury in 1966 thanks to Rubgy and trying fancy moves on the field led to a surgery that still has ramifications to this day. A total removal of a torn cartilage has caused a lot of "later on" knee sprains and swelling in all activities. I had to wear a brace under my wetsuit to be able to surf well. Any blacktop or gym floor basketball game had me in a sturdier knee brace with metal supports to keep playing , but not suffer any more injuries. Athleticism has/had no boundaries for me as an active 20 something and into the current days.
    upload_2021-11-22_8-4-39.png
    Even driving the 65 El Camino was difficult to get that repaired knee that wouldn’t bend correctly inside to just sit there.

Jnaki

But as we all age, there are limits and accidents happen all of the time. We are currently retired from sailing our fast boat due to an accident on the dock. The left knee injury was reinjured while stepping down from the sailboat railing. It was so bad that an orthopedic surgeon had to do his stuff and examine with x-rays and scopes. No surgery but he said just normal recovery will work it self back into shape.

His normal recovery for me was … “at your age, it will take about 6-8 weeks… whereas a 20 something would be back in shape in a couple of weeks." That was not reality for me. But, 9 months later, our decision to stop sailing was imminent as I could not step up or down from any part of the sailboat without a brace and even with it, it pained me to take a step. If I could not be 100%, it was not worth the chance of something big time happening to us out on the ocean waters. My wife can sail just about any sailboat, but for our boat, it takes two to tango and it was safer for all concerned in the long run.

Old age has its limits and it sure was happening to me. So, with caution, no surgery necessary we sold the sailboat and limited activity to normal old age lifestyle. Still relatively active, but not the 3 on 3 charging basketball contests against other aggressive players. Downhill walks are difficult as the knee feels as if it will give out. Steep steps are fine at one at a time without having to hold a handrail.

Driving gets difficult if it gets injured again. The right knee is the strong one and only had one sprain back in the age 50 days. It healed well and it was a short recovery. These days I favor the right knee in all activities. At one time, driving a 4 speed manual shift was not going to happen during those injured knee days.

So, the decisions made back in the highly active 20 something days plays a part in the long history of injuries to this day during the pandemic activities and driving. The knee has been reinjured many times and looked upon as a sprain. But those old ligaments did get injured and time does need to be addressed for healing for the old folks.

Other than that, we are as active as the current pandemic allows and still relatively healthy. But, we are considering electric bicycles so we can continue our outdoor So Cal lifestyle… when it gets safe for us to do that… YRMV

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Lil32, Stogy, hfh and 2 others like this.
  21. patterg2003

patterg2003

I hate saying the year out loud but can't avoid it. Still doing good at 71. I tell everyone as long as I don't feel as old as the guy in the mirror I am good. Growing old is better than the alternative. Best quote on aging was by someone on the HAMB. "Growing old ain't for sissies." The other was an interview with a lady that was being interviewed on the 102nd birthday being asked by the interviewer what she liked about being 102. Her reply was "there is no peer pressure".
    Good on you renting the scooter and really enjoying your day.

Surfcityrocker, redoxide, ca and 9 others like this.
  22. Yup, getting old sucks but the option (worm food) sucks even more! Scooters are a good thing for those that need them, and I respect those that use them, give them room to maneuver, and get out of their way. For those of you that have a short tolerance fuse for those with special needs, just think of your dad or mom, grandpa or grandma, or YOU needing assistance. It happens for a variety of reasons: age, injury, illness, whatever, but first and foremost, these aids allow people to enjoy their life-long hobbies or observe interesting things and activities, so cut them some slack. As time marches on, we live longer hence we are subject to more maladies and injuries. There's a lot of today's young guns that will be in the same boat we (old farts) currently are.

23. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I'm 78 and have my share of problems but I keep going. Working on old cars is my primary activity and it keeps my brain from going out to lunch. Many aches and pains, dizzy spells and chronic fatigue require frequent naps, etc.. That being said, as long as I wake up above room temperature and and have my old Fords to play with I'm a pretty happy fellow. Carry on.................................
    Glenn

lostmind, redoxide, Texas57 and 12 others like this.
  24. Just helped my folks move into a new condo this weekend. Both are in their 70s and kept up with my 15 year old that was helping. It is all about staying active and healthy YOUR WHOLE LIFE. I have seen it in our hobby for the last 30 years , guys get too busy with work or family for some me time and taking care of themselves. By the time they retire they are too tired and fat to enjoy life. Too busy working on cars to take a hike with the wife. Myself? I plan on riding mountainbike and skiing until I die.

Rolleiflex, redoxide, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm 63 and have legs with Peripheral neuropathy, a back and knees full of arthritis and a junk ticker. So going shopping for food is literally a pain but the last time I went I hoped on one those electric shopping carts, wow what a difference I was done in half the time. I hate giving in to my weakness but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Alaska Jim, hudsonmand, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  26. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I'm probably the youngest in this conversation... 42... 20 years ago I inured my back, I have 2 discs severely bulging. flares up from time to time... I had 12 years of dealing with it and no real life altering issues... Dr. put me on a medication, caused a loss of muscle control in my leg, this led to injury in the muscles in the leg... Walking is the main thing that makes it hurt... The longer your on your feet the more burn, it gets to the point where its like having a knife stuck in you... Pills don't work, creams don't work... Some days I can do a mile without sitting, others I cant do 100 yards... So I totally get it and I'm 9 years into this walking thing, I put on 50 lbs... I used to walk the swap meets every isle, every booth... Not anymore... I normally ride a friends golf cart for swap meets... I have considered the scooter route myself...

There is alot of things to be thankful for... and I am glad that I can still hobble from 1 booth to another but riding a scooter seems more appealing some days... Just not high on the cool list... But hanging with my buddies is cooler than not...

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

At 69, I'm still in denial.

winduptoy, Alaska Jim, ca and 7 others like this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'll drag myself on my belly before I ride a scooter deal. ab38a379e8553a20ae1c81ff674cbe62.jpg

29. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

I am turning 62 tomorrow. I was very fit in my mid-30s, exercised daily, watched what I ate, and alcohol was the big vice. I was chasing acting work and "being 10 pounds underweight" was the goal because lighting and cameras put those pounds right back on you.

I made an entire career change and got completely away from daily exercise. Still watched the diet but not as strictly. 20 years passed. At 6 foot tall, I weigh 215, and for my build, I am about 20 lbs over an ideal weight. I am not a bulky guy.

This Labor Day it dawned on me that while I am still very strong in certain dimensions (I can still pick up 200 lbs and walk away with it), I also found that I was getting fragile in others, like lunging forward to pick a weed out of the lawn and having my knee give me grief for the next two days. That felt like a sense of loss, and I hate losing more than I like winning.

I started exercising again, and it has been remarkable. There is an amazing amount of balance and agility now coming back. There is now extra meat around my knees and elbows that I didn't have until recently. I am following some workout routines on a streaming channel "Gaiam", $6 subscription per month. There is a trainer, Tony Horton, who is in his early 60s himself and in his programs, he is really promoting overall fitness. He also is very entertaining and approaches this with fun. Most days I only do the warm up exercises because of lack of time. I am also alternating this with yoga and there is a good coach there too, Rodney Yee, another not real young guy, probably in his 50s. The yoga day gives the damage I did the day before a chance to heal. Many days, I only have 15 minutes to devote to this.

I was was starting to get minor joint pain in many places, and that is all but gone, except for one shoulder. The most striking thing is how I walk right after exercise, a lot more upright and power in each step. I insisted on measuring my height because I felt like I got some of the lost height back. I didn't, lol, but it sure feels like it. There have been good brain chemistry boosts, too, a great way to shake of the past couple years.

I would encourage everyone, even with limited mobility to at least try some simple yoga or Tai Chi with a good instructor leading. You only go as far into a position as your body lets you and it is not forced at all. I end up laughing at the guy on the screen because I am no where close to a posture, but most of it feels great when you are done.

Frequently folks end up in nursing homes is loss of balance and strength. If you don't use it you lose it.

sgtlethargic, Cosmo49, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  30. v8flat44

v8flat44

2 years ago I sold my 52 Victoria. Didn't want to get under it or.....any more, fused back etc. Wish I'd never done it. I'll be 78 soon & will be looking in the spring. I think that sometimes...WE THINK TOO MUCH. Do what you can do at any age, & THANK GOD for another day fo bleeding knuckles, aching backs & the sound of a mild Flatty rumbling in you ears. I can almost smell the crankcase fumes now.