Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New old guy with tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ray Luthye, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

Hi everyone,
    I have been working on a 1957 Chevy Belair for the last 4 years and probably looking at a good while longer.
    I bought this in 2017 and have just about finished the chassis, engine, suspension, brakes, etc. The original 283 with 4bbl was replaced long ago and the 1967 engine was already plus .060” and tired. It is now at .080” with a new set of vortec heads, an Edelbrock mid range cam and a .010/.010 crank grind.
    Recently, I started rebuilding the th200 4r I found for very little. Looks like there was a reason for the $75 price! Anyway, I’ve cleaned it up and am just about ready to start stacking it. Looking at the th200 4r parts diagram has me a bit worried, the output shaft shows 2 unknown parts that are not in mine. They are numbered as 847 and 849. Hoping someone can tell me what they are and if needed where they might be obtained. Beginning to wish I’d bought a new one, or at least a rebuilt one!
    So, if you can help me I would be grateful. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Could you show us the parts diagram?

4. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

5. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

My diagram shows speedo gear and speedo gear retaining clip,assuming yours is the same.

winduptoy and Hnstray like this.
  6. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

7. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

Now that you say that, the clip does look like the speedo gear hold down. That takes care of 849. Does your diagram show the speedo drive gear to the right of the output shaft?

8. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

After studying the drive gear and the diagram, I think you are correct on both counts. For certain the driven gear is numbered 848. The item to the right of the output shaft appears hexagonal in the diagram but when looking at the drive gear the teeth make it appear hexagonal also. The end of the drive gear is hidden due to the angle it is presented. This makes me feel much more comfortable in starting to stack the reverse/low section. Thank you a bunch Marty, you have helped me a lot!

loudbang and winduptoy like this.
  9. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

Thanks for the welcome. Probably about time to join, I have read quite a few threads from hamb over the last few years.

10. Ray Luthye

Ray Luthye

Posted the link I have been using. I think Marty nailed this down for me. Great help! Thanks guys.

leon bee likes this.
  11. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Dont know what parts you are referring to, but 200 4R speedo gear is part of the governor gear which is driven by teeth that are ground into the output shaft. There is no removable speedo drive gear on the output shaft.

Bill

12. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Sucks getting old, I was thinking TH200.

13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lmao, I've been holding back for a while. I was gonna say old ones are probably cheaper than young ones? That costs extra..

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

15. Thats a Good one LIOYD
    I have to go to have my Daily Driver Inspected

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I walked into a situation like that once...didn't work out so well...10 openings and only 2 plugs;)

Guy Patterson and fauj like this.
  17. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

TRANNY ???????????