Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Torque converter flush?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, Nov 16, 2021.

1. AGELE55

AGELE55

I picked up a 700r4 for cheap. Fluid is somewhere between red and brown. I plan to degrease it , drain and refill, and see how she runs.
    Any way to flush the removed TC while its out? No sense putting in a new one in a questionable tranny.

2. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I have always just put them in the parts tub after draining it as good as you can and sticking the hose in it and letting it flush out with varsol.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Just turn it upside down and let it drain for a few hours.Remember that converter has a clutch lining inside and pumping varsol into it may deteriorate the lining. Okay to do that on non lockup converters.

SS327 and AGELE55 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

you can drain it, then add a quart of ATF, slosh it around, and drain again. And repeat until you get tired of it. Don't expect much improvement.

mad mikey, SS327, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, I would never use solvent- just let it drain overnight. And wish you had a Ford converter equipped with a drain plug lol

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

This has worked for me . Lay the converter flywheel side down stick a hose as far down as you can then use an air blow gun with a shop rag wraped around it so it will seal the converter and pressure the converter so the oil will flow out the hose

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

I just let them drain out for a day and put fresh atf in a quart is fine slouch and drain for a day fill and get busy

8. jaracer

jaracer

When I taught automatic transmission repair many years ago, I bought a machine to flush torque convertors. It pumped solvent in the middle while slowly turning the convertor. About every 15 or 20 seconds it delivered a blast of air with the solvent. If the convertor didn't have a drain plug, the company that built the machine supplied 1/8 in pop rivets with a sealed end. You drilled an 1/8 in hole in the outer diameter staying in the pump region of the convertor. That way you could drain all the fluid before putting it on the machine. Since the machine had a lid, you just left the hole open while cleaning. After you let all the solvent drain, you installed the pop rivet with a little sealer. It worked very well.

9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Well imagine that ! using solvent to flush a converter out.

10. squirrel

squirrel

were those lockup converters he was flushing with solvent?

11. Our converter flushing machine uses atf and air to flush them

12. I have been told to drill a 3/16" hole, tap it 1/4-20, and put a set screw in it with sealant on the threads. Never had the nutsack to try it.

mad mikey likes this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

I wouldn't want my converter to be number 47 on the flushing list if your using the same oil. Even if it was filtered.

14. I honestly don’t know how often it gets changed. We are a little different then a production shop.

15. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Can’t do that on a lockup converter. You will drill into the clutch.

16. I don't ever use that new fancy stuff.

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  17. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

But , for the guys that do use the new fancy stuff,Kevin is right.Leave the drill in your tool box.

18. jaracer

jaracer

That was just before lockup convertors came out.

19. jaracer

jaracer

Not if you drill in the pump area of the convertor. The clutch material is in the turbine area.

20. Yes...then use a 1/8th pipe tap with some grease on the tap to catch the metal. If you can pressurize just it a bit at the hub, all the better. Use an allen head brass plug and it should seal on its own.

21. Simple solution. Spend $100 buy a new convertor. Problem solved

RAK and Budget36 like this.
  22. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Good info here. I have a TH400 converter to flush. Looks like I’ll be doing it in the parts washer.

23. SS327

SS327

I always just drilled a 1/8” hole flushed the converter for a day in a separate parts washer then miged the hole shut.

2Blue2 likes this.
  24. there are really good inline tranny filters that can be added. goes in the coolant line and will catch anything coming out . cheap, easy and swopped out without dropping the pan. under $20

25. I seem to recall that 700R4 trans, even when working properly, would darken up the ATF fairly quickly under normal conditions. As long as the fluid wasn't muddy or smelled like burnt toast there wasn't much cause for concern.

26. JD Miller

JD Miller

Drill a hole in the perimeter to drain it , flush flush, weld up the hole when clean

.I had a 60s ford truck that had a drain plug in the TC

SS327 likes this.