Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Stay Warm***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 2, 2021.

1. railcarmover

railcarmover

Fitting bearings was a pretty common thing,shop mechanics did it with scrapers and impression fluid,like Prussian blue. It's not something I would do on my junk..im alot more anal about my stuff,it was pretty common in 1938 on Mr Jone's '29 coupe,when old Jonesy was trying to lowball a few thousand more miles out of it..

Dannerr likes this.
  2. Don't forget the proper Shade Tree to work under and the selection of Hammers...

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. railcarmover

railcarmover

You measure a man's skill by his hammer collection..and by a finger count,under 8? Hire immediately..

tomkelly88, Old Dawg and Dustyp489 like this.
  4. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reading through this thread and thought you folks might like this. Most of you probably know all about it but I saw this at the Museum of American Speed (aka Speedway museum) this summer and it blew my mind.
    Over 200 mph from a Model "B" four cylinder!

DSC_4780_1200.jpg

DSC_4779_800.jpg

DSC_4778_800.jpg

DSC_4777_800.jpg

5. Something you may have not noticed, that motor has no butterflies in the throttle bodies.
    Only control was barrel valve tied to pedal.

John

6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Too bad some of this information is hard to see, such as the “FAST” magazine , shown. If you have this issue, you will some fantastic hard to believe info/ detail involving the engine posted !
    CREE (and wife)… may be most famous racing pair in Banger history ! Egg head banger speed demon/genius… and nice guy !!

I bet Roy would get a LOT more HP out of my newest creation …than I’ll ever get !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    TerrytheK, Dannerr, Dustyp489 and 2 others like this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Checking in a little late this month. Not much going on in Cheyenne. I did get my coupe out and drove it around 50 miles on saturday. It was 65 degrees with almost no wind. Unheard of for the first week of November.

Dannerr, Jet96, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  8. guitarguy

guitarguy

Working on oil plumbing for the T. Mains are plumbed, onto the rods / dip tray.

Speedster project 371.1.jpg

Speedster project 374.1.jpg

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep coming back to how to put oil into the mains, WO went through the bottom of the maincaps on the 3L (and the sides) just worry about the oil wedge on start up and sever load...probably over think.

10. guitarguy

guitarguy

@fur biscuit , I lost you somewhere in your statement, haven't a clue what your trying to explain. WO? 3L?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  11. steve hackel

steve hackel

Figured I would try here first with a captive audience, and besides - I can't figure out how to
    post a picture in the for sale section. I have a NEW, S.O.S.S. Lyons cast iron head that I never
    installed and am finally going another direction with one of the OHV heads I have and not
    a flathead. The last time Charlie ran these he was asking $650 , and that was years ago.
    I'll ask the $650 (OBO) and split what ever the shipping eventually comes to....
    If interested, I can send pictures to your phone or email but I can't figure out how to post
    them on the for sale section. regards, Styeve

Dannerr and Dustyp489 like this.
  12. Chad, my guess is that Furb is talking about the 3 liter Bentley (WO and HM were the Bentley brothers)?

guitarguy likes this.
  13. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

What is the compression on the head 7:1 or 8:1

14. steve hackel

steve hackel

Compression... I honestly don't remember, and as far as I know it is not marked in any way.

15. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Steve,
    If advert for selling, a minimal amount of info should be included.
    In your case, WHICH MODEL head is offered for sell, I. e.- Lion head number 1 ,11 or 111. Also cast iron, or aluminum ? Also a pic is good sales detail. Any flaws. ? How old/when purchased?
    Pic of comb chamber…. If C/R not kni

16. steve hackel

steve hackel

Ok, here goes... I said that I can't post the pictures here - can't figure out how to do it. Stupid,
    uneducated, can't follow instructions - any & all of the above, but I'm more than willing to send them
    to anyone's email address or cell phone number, and that can be accomplished through a private conversation. My original post states that it's "CAST IRON" ! Now, since I'm uneducated here, go ahead and school me - where is the model number I, II, or III located on the head? I can't find it?
    My best recollection of when I bought this was about 7 or 8 years ago, just shortly after I bought
    the 30 coupe I am working on, and the gentleman that I bought it from had just purchased it
    a few months prior from Charlie at S.O.S.S. For what ever reason, He then advertised it on their
    "For Sale" section and I happened to answer the add 1st, and then became the new owner.
    As stated, I am going in another direction myself; got the news today that my new Burtz engine
    will be ready to ship shortly, and since I'll have a new engine then I might as well go ahead and
    install my new OHV head on it and be done. I have a completely finished flathead engine
    sitting in the wings - built by Schwalms several years ago - and that's the only flathead that
    I intend to keep. One car and now 3 engines; ya I know - the math don't work, but it should
    be fun trying them all out.
    sinc

TigerFan, winduptoy and Dannerr like this.
  17. steve hackel

steve hackel

18. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

actual pictures below 20211113_120352.jpg 20211113_120425.jpg 20211113_120452.jpg 20211113_120512.jpg 20211113_120539.jpg 20211113_120546.jpg 20211113_120559.jpg

Dustyp489 and Jiminy like this.
  19. steve hackel

steve hackel

I learned something new - again - today... Several have helped me identify this
    head and it seems to be a Lyons '1' version, and depending on who's information I

have had the opportunity to read regarding the compression ratio, it's either a

6:1 or 6:5 to one C.R. The head was designed to accept another set of plugs

(8 total) if someone was so inclined to machine it that way. Based on what I have learned, I will drop the price to $500 and see what develops. Thanks

Dustyp489 and Dannerr like this.
  20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. You can see the display barrier in the photo so the engine was displayed with the injector stacks on the back side. So even if I could have seen that side I probably wouldn't have noticed that as I don't know a whole lot about mechanical port injection. So what would be the purpose, increased airflow perhaps? Neat to learn about some of these tricks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  21. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much help but here's a closeup of that part of the engine display, cropped from the fullsize photo. At least you can "sorta" see the front page. If someone here has that issue and wanted to scan and post it, that would be great reading for sure. Hell, this whole thread is great reading. Can't believe what you guys are doing with these engines! Guess I'll have to start following a little more closely.
    DSC_4777_crop2.jpg

Old Dawg and guitarguy like this.
  22. callcoy

callcoy

Got back from the Left Coast a week ago and visited with Steve Nelson to see how his projects are coming. He has two 4 Banger projects currently, he broke the crank flange and flywheel off one of his "T" speedsters. The other is his ongoing Donavan with a Rutherford head project, which brought up a rumor that he heard, has anyone heard that Donavan is casting more blocks. If someone could verify this those on this site I am sure others would be interested to hear the details.

Our local Model A Club President was involved in an accident last week, he has been trying to drop off his backup engine so I could check it out. Unfortunately he was "T" Boned by an individual residing here in the states illegibly and who was not able to provide a license or proof of insurance. Fortunately no one was injured, but what was scary, the impact threw the complete engine 50 + feet from the pickup. The HF orange 1" straps in one case ripped the factory tie down rings from the bed of the truck. The other strap failed, while the truck was totaled. Maybe we should use 2" straps, I don't know but it may make a difference.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  23. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Regarding…’rumors’ of more Donovan Ds …coming on line.
    Several years ago (3 or 4), I was at Donovan factory. I spoke with Mrs D. As I had heard rumors that ‘more’ Ds were in the works, I took this opportunity to ask …. If MORE Ds were to be made in the future? Short answer was “no more would be made” !
    I had heard the rumors , of more Ds being made from various sources. One even swore that he had ‘seen’ a newly minted D… being built !!
    Hey, you can start your own rumor. Hopefully not harmful, and maybe get your name in lights.
    My rumor(?)… FAST MAG HAS STARTED BACK UP !!

24. pkhammer

pkhammer

I think this is the place to ask a couple of Model A Banger questions so I hope you guys don't mind me butting in. I'm going to look at and hopefully be bringing home a late '31 Model A Roadster next weekend. I have been on the lookout for an open car that I can use a driver for a while now and I am familiar with Model A Fords as I have owned and rebuilt a couple of them. I have not however done any work to increase power which is what I'd like to do with the Roadster. My plans include a cast iron (Snyder or Brumfield) 6:0 head, Burns downdraft intake with a Stromberg 97 and a Mallory distributor. Maybe a model B cam as well. Just looking for a snappy little car to drive and enjoy.
    Any and all advice/recommendations appreciated.

Binger and Dannerr like this.
  25. sounds like a good plan, and that you’re off to a good start. :)

pkhammer likes this.
  26. From the sounds of it, a good start. You may consider a slightly more aggressive cam. Afterall if you are into this motor that far. Add some spring pressure to the valves, don't go crazy, just some.
    If you do not have Jim Brierleys book, I suggest getting it, he has about as much experience rebuilding and hopping up these motors as anyone. Jim will answer his phone and discuss your application, be careful, he will sell you on a reground cam. From experience, I have used quite a few, all good stuff.

All good, John

27. pkhammer

pkhammer

Emailed Jim just earlier today. Was hoping to buy one of his cast iron heads but alas, he said his patterns are for sale and he may not be making any more of them. :(
    I do have his book.

Dannerr and Dustyp489 like this.
  28. kb9jlo

kb9jlo
    from Central IL
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That's what I get for putting it off. Is he still regrinding cams?

29. pkhammer

pkhammer

Apparently so. He recommended his "slightly hotter than a B cam" for my car which is likely the way I'll go. I'll probably go with the stock looking Snyder 6:1 head.

Dustyp489 likes this.
  30. D42A6BED-D32D-4C8C-94C0-0165E90ED567.jpeg Has anyone ever dabbeled with a Tillotson JR5A? Is it any good?
    Seems about same size as a model B carb…