Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fenders, no fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BigO, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Hello all you hoodlums out there
    Hopefully this is my next project, but I do have to go from NC to Florida to get it. Anyway I'm just starting a plan for the truck and any ideas would be helpful, an please no rude remarks or opinions if you don't like the truck just go to another posting. Were here to have fun. NOW , fenders or no fenders (this is the same truck) at the moment the fenders are off the truck and yes I know its up to me as to what I want it to look like but I enjoy the HAMB and the people on it, your opinions mean a lot to me since I'm alone and not really anyone to bounce ideas off of, so have fun , your ideas can'thurt my feelings a all ... 4C278785-8CCC-4E1F-A4F9-140BB965346A.jpeg 576FA736-02D0-4DC6-9BCE-EDBD7EADF18E.jpeg

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Fenders, and fix the headlight…..

Blue One, Dago 88, j hansen and 8 others like this.
  3. Another vote for fenders

Dago 88, Lil32, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I'd say that with fenders on that one you will find more reasons to drive it rather than excuses not to.
    That and the fenders and aprons hide a lot of clutter unless you are going to do a total rebuild on the chassis and clean the clutter up. I'd run the fenders, sell the 36 grill shell to someone who really needs and wants it and put on the correct for the truck grill shell and drive and grin.

clem, Lil32, loudbang and 6 others like this.

5. No fenders

Stogy and BigO like this.
  6. twenty8

twenty8

Either way is cool, but if you got them, I would use them.
    And by the way, don't ever think you are alone................we're all here.......;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    jim snow, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. I have a thing for the proper headlights and that is one of the things that are on the list to change. I have an 11"set of Lincoln headlights and a repo set of Woodlites. Plus others. Thanks for commenting. "BigO"

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Bandit Billy, Lil32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you have seen it in person and/or many pics without the primer to show quality of metal work would run fenders

Lil32, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the pictures say it all, absolutely fenders
    can you imagine this car without fenders? neither can I
    32.jpg

10. I was wondering to myself what to do with the grille, I had a '32 Packard grille on my Modek Coupe, looked nice. Thanks for joining in. "BigO"

11. Thanks , that's why I love this forum so much because you guys an gals too are always here. Even if I'm having a rough day you folks can make me laugh. "BigO "

12. Yeah, I am a fenders guy too with that truck. Maybe a deuce grill.

Lil32, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. twenty8

twenty8

This would mean you could use the relevant hood (and maybe hood sides) which would immediately make a huge difference..........

Stogy and BigO like this.
  14. He has sent me all the pics I've asked for and I do bodywork. And I'm just looking for a driver to work on when I can. Glad someone who has seen it answered the call for info. Thanks, BigO

Lil32, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. I'm really planing on running fenders, even though I've been building hot rods a custom since 1975 you never know when someone has a good idea . Thanks, BigO

16. Thanks, I'm looking into a different grille for her, its on the list. Thanks, BigO

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

My take.
    I've built several hot rods in my time. I've always wanted a fender less pickup. A few years ago I stumbled by an old truck that had really beat up fenders that would have required hours of time on each fender just to make them usable, and thought "Here is my chance!"
    I built the truck with the intension of it being fender less, I even got rid of those beat up fenders. I thought the truck looked great without the fenders.
    I drive my stuff lots of miles. What I quickly discovered it the rear tires kick up a lot of stuff. The truck was always dirty. Any drop of liquid on the road soon was covering the entire side of the truck. I also discovered that the front tires kick up a lot of stuff. Small stones that get caught in the tire tread will fly in whatever direction the front wheels are pointed. That means that small rock could end up against the windshield, or worse yet, through the open door window and hit you (or your passenger), or even at the car driving down the road next to you. Any liquid did the same thing, on the windshield or possible on you (or your passenger) through that open door window, or onto the car driving down the road next to you.
    It didn't take very long to dislike the fender less look. I was really careful about when I drove the truck. I didn't miss it at all after I sold it.

You have the option to try the fender less route, maybe you will like it. I wouldn't get rid of the fenders until after you have driven the truck for at least a year without them on the truck. The fenders and boards sure do hide a lot of stuff you may not want everyone to see. Gene

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Fender vote from me. Another observation, maybe a filler panel of sorts between the cab and bed.

19. Thanks, I'm planning on running the fenders, but this was a good way to maybe learn something new, even though I'm in my 60s you can always learn something new.

Lil32, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  20. Haven't thought that far ahead and thats really why I started this post. Thanks, BigO

Stogy likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I was all prepare to say FTF, but in all honesty looking at those photos, it looks far better with the fenders. Just the same, mine will remain fenderless. And oh yeah, FTF! :D

loudbang, BigO and Stogy like this.
  22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yep, I was in my 60s when I learned this lesson. It was an expensive lesson for me, so if my experience has helped you or others, it was worth the cost of learning, and sharing.

Lil32, loudbang, BigO and 2 others like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Keep the fenders.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A True Jalopy this one...there's A lot of potential for a rebirth...

Let the PS Team wrestle with it...Congrats on the newest Oldie @BigO
    Looks like a box mod since losing the fenders...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  25. hipojoe

hipojoe

Way better with the fenders, and what ever era or period of time you choose for your ride, keep that theme from front to back,so it doesnt look like it was built in the 40s 90s East Los Angeles, Kentucky, New York and Lousiana all at once. Great starting point ...way better then most get to start with. Congratulations!

Lil32, Stogy and BigO like this.
  26. Thanks for your opinion, how about a pic of yours it might change my mind.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. I'm sure many will learn from old guys.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. I'm looking to do a lie '30s look since I have quite a few parts for that period, most if them not the normal pieces people would expect such as a set of reports Woodlites...etc

Lil32, loudbang, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  29. I've had them in all sorts of conditions but this seems a little special, I don't know why.

Lil32 likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, here's a couple, but it's not like you don't know how to build a hot rod! 20201121_135959.jpg 20201121_140026.jpg

And, it's a truck, right? Got to use it, make it earn it's keep.
    20201128_095143.jpg