Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SEMA 2021 Roll Call

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

SEMA 2021 Roll Call

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

41 GMC K-18 and Tim like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

That Mercury is a sign of the times. Like it or not things change in our world. I've been involved in the hot rod business for over 40 years and have built cars for over 50 and have seen lots of changes. EV's will eventually make their way into our hot rod world. I think back to when Andy Brizio built a 32 roadster with rotary engine which I believe was eventually replaced by a SBC. I think it's interesting that the Merc takes center stage on the HAMB just one day after a thread about EV's was deleted?

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure it won't be that long before someone shows up on Gary's doorstep asking if he can build a 32 chassis set up for EV. When may have more to do with batteries that work and give you enough miles you can actually drive it somewhere rather being a novelty. Meaning that we will probably see a few EV pro fairground trailer queen street rods show up an maybe a few customs but I don't see a batch of them heading out on a cross country road trip anytime soon unless they are planning on 300 miles a day rather than 6 or 7 hundred or more a day.

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  4. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

It's been a while for me but not this year. I've walked my feet off (I spent a lot of time at AAPEX too), been "wined and dined" by suppliers, and attended many of the great seminars. I enjoyed every minute! It's a terrific experience that I would encourage anyone who has interest in cars to attend. From what I've heard, Friday is open to the general public this year.

Lou Manglass

5. finn

finn

Doesn’t interest me in the least. Show business and hucksters shilling their latest products.

No thanks.

UTG had a pretty good rant on what they did to Project X, the old Argus Publishing 57 Chevy. (He’s on YouTube).

He thought it was vile and disgusting.

I agree, and I have a deposit on an electric Ford Lightning.

Tman likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I doubt if anyone will be contacting me to build an EV rod. soon. Hell I'm the guy with a flip phone. I think the technology is interesting but when you live in the middle of fly over country a 250-300 mile driving rage is rather unpractical. I'm all for new tech but it'll be a while before I have an EV rod. I'm just getting ready to build a new FH powered deuce roadster.

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

ICON and Jonathan Ward builds some really nice cars... really nice. They are not HAMB friendly, but you have to appreciate the attention to detail that he seems to agonize over.

I can appreciate a lot of what is presented at SEMA, and also believe a bunch of it is just slapped together with whiz bang stuff and bailing wire that has to work for three or four days at most. It's the nature of this type of show. The industry I work in has similar events. It's how the world turns...

If we did not have enough interest in the industry to justify this event we would be in a sorry state for sure, so I am glad SEMA is still alive and kickin.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I saw photos recently of a yellow early Bronco that was at Sema recently.It was held together with expandable foam.It is sometimes just about appearances

9. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Went all four days, phone says the wife and I averaged 25,000 steps every day! 2019 the stars of the show seemed to be Crown Vic converted early F100 pickups, this year saw maybe 3 of them. Heard a guy say that he now understood why you couldn’t find a new Bronco at his local Ford Dealer cuz they were all here at SEMA! Foose had a bunch of his cars displayed. While I was talking to the guys in MoonEyes about some 18” disks for my Bonneville car my wife was having a great talk to a lady sitting in their booth. She talked to her for about 20 minutes before she asked her why she was there and what was she selling? The lady replied “I’m Candy Clark, I’m friends with Chico and he lets me do appearances in his booth.” My wife and I had no idea! When American Graffiti came out I was in the 6th grade and I went to see it with my best friend. We ended up sneaking back in and watched it 4 times! I’ve been doomed ever since! And, I also saw Linda Vaughn do a drive by! She looked great like always! CA99EE82-F7AF-4F37-AB9C-0B34EA6BB97A.jpeg

41 GMC K-18, i.rant, charleyw and 3 others like this.
  10. Gerard Tonno

Gerard Tonno

I was at both AAPEX and SEMA last week, as I was asked to teach a class at AAPEX. This was my first visit to these shows, and while AAPEX was good (although both shows were not heavily attended - Thanks Brandon!), SEMA was a disappointment. Maybe I was expecting too much, but SEMA was missing some key players who decided not to show this year, and it seemed like it was just a vomit of all kinds of slammed, patina, black and matte color weirdness that just does nothing for me. Believe me I can appreciate good craftsmanship, but I just don't know about some of the stuff that's being considered good these days. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I appreciate real Hot Rods, not all of the Rice-A-Roni that abounds today. American iron is where it's at. Hopefully next year things will be back on track, that is unless we continue to let Brandon destroy our country and economy. God Bless, and I'll keep sayin' my prayers!

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

12. I agree on everything you say except your political anti Democratic statement. This is not a political forum, its a car site.

WiredSpider and lurker mick like this.
  13. It was great to go the SEMA this year, Just to have it happen is a big step forward. With that said the step forward is more EV vehicles and products available. All being supported by the Factory and OE vehicles.
    Many are there to stir the Pot (Project X) (Ford Eluminator f150). The show is no more about new technology band accessory’s for NEW Vehicles thats the market.
    there were some super Hot rods there on the Build off and couple of cool COE’s,
    I build what makes me Happy weather it has shines paint or Worn out Patina. I build them safe to drive and do drive the hell out of them.
    SEMA show 1965 was much different than the SEMA Show 1970.
    I use the info out there to be more creative and build Better cars.

14. kenmo

kenmo

Yup, the range is a big limiting factor. But I do like the amount of hp and torque they are capable of.

Does anyone know how you would hot rod an electric motor for performance gains?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022