Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage B-bop's Laid off, make the most of it Solo road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, May 23, 2016.

1. b-bop

b-bop

Congrats on the retirement. If I make it, I will buy you and toast you with a frosty beverage. :)

rdscotty likes this.
  2. B-bop are you going to Bonneville again this year?

3. Yes, inquiring minds want to know.......

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

What a nice way to spend a couple of late night hours reading this thread . I'm leaving next month with a few buddies on a 4K mile road trip back to Speedy Bills via CA, NV,ID, WY, SD, NB, CO, UT , AZ , and back home to CA. Hope that we have half the fun that you did . Thanks for the inspiration .

Tim_with_a_T, Tim, b-bop and 2 others like this.
  5. b-bop

b-bop

Not sure yet guys, I have a 5 year old now on all my roadtrips. His mom is unable to take care of him, and I am not sure if he is ready for B'Ville. But if I do make it, you know there will be another thread to cover it.

6. b-bop

b-bop

Thanks Philly, I hope you guys all have cameras along and take lots of pics and write a thread about your adventure. I love a good road trip thread. :) Safe travels.

Tim and firstinsteele like this.
  7. I took my son(him in my avatar at 17yo) when he was 5..........it was challenging. They have really short attention spans at that age. I don't regret it now, but at the time was wondering why I did it?
    Still hope to see you there!

chryslerfan55 and b-bop like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like most of us lol

9. Great thread! I’m building my teardrop now. Automotive projects next in line. Prepping for my future retirement in 5 to 10 yrs. Hope to have similar adventures then.

Tim_with_a_T and b-bop like this.
  10. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

OK so its a number of years later but after reading all about your adventures with the tear drop, I'm now going to research teardrops. I may build one just for something to do. It's be interesting pulling one and traveling as I do with the Coupe. Something to definitely think about. I enjoyed reading about your adventures. Thanks for letting us enjoy your travels.
    Jon

TFoch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My younger brother had a 5' X 9' teardrop in the '80s...Hooked it up to my F100 for the Goodguise show in Pleasanton. (CA.)
    I laid back at the swap site, Teardrop is a handy friend. (had a LARGE size cooler, many frosties...Adolph Coors was along, with Bud. Lots of 'em...)
    Younger bro hooked up the Teardrop before we left, (he was 'in the bag') I asked "Locked down? Chains hooked up?"
    He replied how he knew all about his teardrop, don't worry... (Army man). :rolleyes:

About 60 MPH on a downgrade, h'wy 680...I glanced to the left, Bob's teardrop was passing us...Looked great, just cruising by. He jumps forward, yells "Mike! Get it stopped!" Well...I wasn't going to pass it, get in front of it and kiss my tailgate g'bye...
    About 1/4 mile, it slowly changed lanes, got in front of me. The grade was leveled out by now, and the Teardrop found a concrete abutment to glance off, then rolled slowly to a stop. Prayer worked...
    After a quick inspection, (latch was 'up', never secured...chains were hooked back to the tongue. Never attached: grrrrr...)
    Well, luckily, I was able to re-attach the hitch, click the lever down, and insert the safety pin. And hook up the chains! Also, the lights never got plugged in.
    Little Bro's Buds were rationed from then on.

12. b-bop

b-bop

This thread has been sitting around collecting dust for a while but I came across this video today and thought it was a good addition for “what to do when ya gotta go”. Or how to have a dump on a road trip.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Man that’s a crappy video, favorite line if we’re gonna live wild and free in nature we gotta figure out howta poop
    Good one b-bop
    What a crappy job for a pretty assistant
    Dog biscuits anyone?

Sent from my iPhone
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

Elwood: There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Joliet Jake: Hit it!

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    b-bop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. That video has not been approved by the NDDA. National Dumpster Divers Association. Too many unpleasant surprises.

b-bop, e1956v and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just read through this thread after following a link to it in another thread. What a great adventure, thanks for sharing it with us. Should be about time for another road trip by now!

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

What a great roadtrip. Thank you for taking the time to post up about it so many years ago. Epic!

b-bop likes this.
  17. b-bop

b-bop

BlueS4U, I am so overdue for another road trip, it is killing me. This whole Covid gongshow has kept me mostly off the road. I cannot cross over the US/Can border, and so much stuff is closed in Canada, its not really worth the effort. I did do a big trip in the summer of 2019 but it was with my mini van as it was the middle of summer and the end game was to see my new grandaughter that had just been born in Las Vegas. My grandson and I were on the road for 41 nights. My A/C in the model A would not have kept up on those 120 degree days. Kinda kicking my ass now that we have been shut down for the last couple years

18. Looking forward to your next adventure.

Blue One and b-bop like this.
  19. as am I. Hopefully, this whole "can't say anything nice, so I won't" thing will end soon, and our northern brothers and sisters and get back on the road!

BigMike

Blue One, b-bop and pprather like this.
  20. atch

atch

Above is b-bop's post # 221 in this thread. This is were my signature line came from; with his permission. That was such a cool road trip.

Blue One, b-bop, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not thread related, but you might want to consider starting a consulting service and make yourself available to your old company for a "reasonable fee"..............knowledge and experience are especially valuble when things go south!:)

b-bop likes this.
  22. Just went through the thread again. Always a fun read!

b-bop likes this.
  23. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Great thread indeed. I do miss road trips. Sure would like to see the plans B-Bop followed to build the tear drop. Closing in on retirement and I can see these trips in my future. Thanks for the pics and updates.

24. b-bop

b-bop

Hey Dave, I don't have any plans for the Tear Drop, but the best place for information on TD's is here https://www.tnttt.com/ There is a a set of plans you can download on that site as well http://www.mikenchell.com/images/GenericBenroyPlans.pdf Mine is slightly different as my rear hatch does not go to the floor level.

Thought I would toss in another pic here as well. This is my month in the Cool Tears magazine calendar. Dammmm I miss the open road :(

EBEC7D7F-B7E9-4231-893C-AA4F228F6C10.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  25. Thanks for the rabbit hole links, I may never come back out.

b-bop and TFoch like this.