Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford Pick Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AULIZ, Oct 20, 2021.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

This, 2021-22, winter I will rebuilt my friends 1936 pick up.
    Owner, Vesa, drop car to my place nearly 2 years ago. I haven´t time to work with this project before this winter.
    Last year I was piece car and left parts to abrasive blasting. He also painted corrosive paint. I have keep parts inside of my woodshed. Cabin and frame outside. Yesterday, when I empty my small garage, I have enough free space to start this project.
    Pick up frame is OK, I just will wash it and paint epoxy black (semi gloss).
    Techical car has everything OK. Chevy TBI 350 (corvette) + TH 700 + 8" axle.
    IFS front end, fourlink rear etc.

Car has been daily use 22years. Mostly marketing use. Last time car was used by finnish hardware store. Car outlook was less or more sad. Cracked paint, cracked glasses,...
    After this rebuilding owner wants to take car back own hobby use.

Aulis

raiski-1.jpg raiski-2.jpg raiski-3.jpg raiski-4.jpg raiski-5.jpg raiski-6.jpg View attachment 5205848 View attachment 5205849 raiski-10.jpg raiski-11.jpg raiski-12.jpg raiski-13.jpg raiski-14.jpg raiski-15.jpg raiski-18.jpg raiski-19.jpg raiski-20.jpg raiski-21.jpg raiski-22.jpg raiski-24.jpg raiski-25.jpg raiski-27.jpg raiski-28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2023
    Toms Dogs, winr, vtx1800 and 19 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Looks like a good project. What is the piece that is rusted out? I can’t place it by the pic and seems to be worse off than the rest of the sheet metal.

3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Fenders and frame are worst. Everything what they have welded +20y ago are gone or nearly gone. Not bad project. Just welding and fixing few monts before paintjob.

AULIS

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Stogy, catdad49 and Budget36 like this.
  4. brady1929

brady1929

Looking forward to this. You do nice work.

Stogy likes this.

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Let´s see what kind of "cake" I bake.....
    First I need to made welding table. That yellow jack need to weld and modify.
    It lift up to 1meter (+3 feet). Today I ordered this pump (150euro. Hydraulic pump with pneumatic pedsal):

[​IMG]
    Aulis

Raiski-37.jpg raiski-38.jpg raiski-39.jpg raiski-40.jpg raiski-41.jpg

Toms Dogs, Okie Pete, brEad and 4 others like this.
  6. finn

finn

Bottom leading edge of the rear fenders where they meet the back of the running board is my guess.

lurker mick and Stogy like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Too much dayjob , haven´t had time to work with Rods.
    Yesterday I welded welding table ready. Today we were visit in company where they are make aircondition canals etc. They are also cut and sheetmetal stuff for basic houses (outside of windows) droplist before stone foundation....

They cut and break this 1500mm x 600mm skin for my new welding table. Only 20euro (25usd) with material (1.5mm). Today I weld it on its place.
    Just increased oil to handpump and lifted it little more. Now can stay like that until I get that Air/oilpump from Italy.

Aulis

raiski-42.jpg View attachment 5207843 raiski-44.jpg raiski-45.jpg raiski-46.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2021
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

grill welding.
    aulis

raiski-47.jpg raiski-48.jpg raiski-49.jpg raiski-50.jpg raiski-51.jpg raiski-52.jpg raiski-53.jpg raiski-54.jpg

winr, Okie Pete, 40ragtopdown and 6 others like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Grill ready. small part, but easily takes 12-14hours.
    Tomorrow continue with fenders.
    Aulis

raiski-56.jpg raiski-57.jpg raiski-58.jpg raiski-59.jpg raiski-60.jpg

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tuesday is "packed and wraped".

Sorry, too many pictures. I like project pictures.
    Now a days, It´s too easy shoot fotos same time than work with those old junk parts....
    6hours today, continue this this pass.side rear fender tomorrow morning.

Aulis

raiski-61.jpg raiski-62.jpg raiski-63.jpg raiski-64.jpg raiski-65.jpg raiski-66.jpg raiski-67.jpg raiski-68.jpg raiski-69.jpg raiski-70.jpg raiski-71.jpg raiski-72.jpg raiski-73.jpg raiski-74.jpg raiski-75.jpg raiski-76.jpg raiski-77.jpg

Toms Dogs, winr, Okie Pete and 11 others like this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice work!

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sir.
    Another rear fender is welded. Tomorrow need to fix all weldings, shrink there and here.
    Some dents and "potato sack" all over. Need to roll over with english wheel.

Maybe I have wrong medicines or other big problems in my command center.... I really like cutting, welding, making sheet metal pieces.... and little more when somebody is pay all that shit.
    Aulis

raiski-82.jpg raiski-83.jpg raiski-84.jpg raiski-85.jpg

winr, vtx1800, The 39 guy and 13 others like this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today i removed exhaust and washed frame, suspensions three times. I will remove mostly all basic wirings. Those looks so bad. Also make new exhaust tubes. When some day I need to paint frame (industrial epoxy , black). After that I remove wheels and send those to Sweden. They remove old crome.
    Tomorrow need to continue welding.

Aulis

View attachment 5218275 View attachment 5218277 View attachment 5218279 raiski-90.jpg raiski-91.jpg View attachment 5218283 View attachment 5218285 View attachment 5218287 raiski-95.jpg View attachment 5218291

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m always amazed at guys building cars outside of the US. Everything must be twice as hard to get done. We take things for granted. Keep pressing forward. You are making progress!

16. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

You are a patch master, with a busy work station. I like it.

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    When I was Younger I was buy one tool at time. No money to buy stuff. Then have dream about own garage and own tools, but no money. Late 80´s I was stupid and lost twice everything (bankruptcy). It was hard life. working in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Russia welding and mechanic jobs in industry 7days week (sawmill, steelindustry, oil industry, paper and pulp indury, mining.... ) Then I decided that Im happy, if one day I´m zero level. I paid all hundred of thousands Finnish mark back to bank etc. 1996 I was falling down 9meters in industry (+30feet). Need to be happy after all that shit that Im still alive and rather good condition. Negative things are open eyes and change Your thinking. This life in old house and small garage is ok. Im happy that I have Oskar son in my life, I can built cars daily, learn that way new skills....

New house here costs easily +300 000euro, new bigger garage costs a lot of money...
    I have been working 16years homeoffice (dayjob) which gives extra time to built cars. Owner of the company is said "I do not care, if You built hot rods during workingday. I know that You are making good money for my company and I pay You salary as we have make deal 2005". He turned my head and I was come back from CA... I liked that living there. Warm, send stuff to Finland, garage in Pomona (east 1st street) and lived in Culver city near 405.

I have note long time ago that simply 2car garage is ok for building this size cars. OK, I have dream many many times bigger garage, but You know , it costs money. Here, even golf stream weather warming effect , West Coast Finland (East-Finland they have colder climate, more snow ...) is 4 season. Real winter, long dry spring, wet "english" autumn. Buildings are expensive to built. If You want to have reasonable energy costs , insulate, windows,... must be done good. OK, You cant built house or garage weithout doing all like they say. That is good, so we do not have those houses like in Southern Europe (bird nest). Good insulated garage or house(3 glass windows. Houses have now a day 4 glass windows) keeps warm in and summer keeps warm out.

Today when Oskar is bicycle to school (with new Trek 6) and fireplace is ready, I go to garage. today continue welding. Rolling car need to push inside before rain is coming from south-west. Tomorrow morning i travel to Sweden. I bought original 1986 pontiac Trans Am (yellow) there. Nothing expensive, but I think value of those 3rd generation GM cars (camaro, firebird, transam) is going higher. This car is 100% original and very good shape. My friend in Sweden is now travel to South-Sweden (Jan-Gunnar 72y old hot rodder) and drive car up to his place in Östersund (located in same level than Seinäjoki where I live here in Finland). Friday I drive car home. OK, I stay one night more in Umeå city there. My girlfriend is follow me there and we go there outside dinner and have hotel night. We have stay at home so long time due to covid, so need to have few days break. End of this month there is Hot Rod swapmeet in Ekens Gassers garage (Stockholm). We will drive there too. I sell there some stuff and meet Swedish Hot Rodders, Racers...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think we were all young and dumb at one time. Now I am old and dumb.

Hoptup32, osage orange, brEad and 4 others like this.
  19. Truck will be nice after all of your repairs. I am sure your friend who owns the truck is happy that you have started the restoration.

Roothawg, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  20. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for sharing the project, your photos and more importantly your experiences and insights.
    Very inspiring

Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Aulix, thanks for sharing this build. Young and Dumb is a stage of life, most learn from it and have a Better life. You are on the right path, you have to separate Wants versus Needs, looks like you have that figured out! Happy Building, Carp.

22. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Yeah, dumb as a fox.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I built my first car from the ground up (36 Chevy town sedan) in a 8x10' shed addition. Envy was big with friends and their back yard shops or three car garages. Many more builds for me in semi outside conditions and home built carports, and I managed. After working 35 years with the State as a hvac/plumber, I had a huge accumulated amount of annual and paid sick leave coming. This was my chance at 57 years old, to cash out a new backyard two car garage built. Thru the years I restored many gas pumps, vending machines, vintage bicycles and two more cars plus two Harley's, one a ground up that won best of show bike. I do all my own building, painting, pinstriping, and artwork. Serious engine work gets farmed out. Looking back, several friends have died or divorced and their shops and stories are a memory. Me at 74 I'm still producing blood blisters, bleeding, knots to the head, burns and more but maintaining my 34 and helping other gear head younger friends. Life is short so eat desert first.

Attached Files:

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Everybody.
    Too many fuel pump..... maybe you ship few here too.... :)

Trans Am was not so good than seller was told. Im disappointed, but still alive.
    Wednesday I started to weld LeftRear fender. Today continued welding, hammering....
    Right rearfender was better starting point.

Aulis

raiski-97.jpg raiski-98.jpg raiski-99.jpg raiski-100.jpg raiski-101.jpg raiski-102.jpg raiski-103.jpg raiski-104.jpg raiski-105.jpg raiski-106.jpg raiski-107.jpg raiski-109.jpg raiski-110.jpg raiski-111.jpg raiski-112.jpg

25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Monday pictures.
    Sorry, I still post too many pics...
    Aulis
    raiski-113.jpg raiski-114.jpg raiski-115.jpg raiski-116.jpg raiski-117.jpg

26. Nice work on those repairs...no such thing as too many pictures. Keep 'em coming.

27. catdad49

catdad49

Isn’t Rust Fun? Repairing the repairs, you’re gaining on her!

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tuesday is "shaked".
    Aulis

raiski-118.jpg raiski-119.jpg raiski-120.jpg raiski-121.jpg raiski-122.jpg raiski-123.jpg raiski-124.jpg raiski-125.jpg raiski-126.jpg raiski-127.jpg raiski-128.jpg raiski-129.jpg raiski-130.jpg raiski-131.jpg raiski-132.jpg raiski-133.jpg

29. AULIZ

AULIZ

few pictures more.
    Still one day more with this drv side rear fender.
    A

raiski-134.jpg raiski-135.jpg raiski-136.jpg raiski-137.jpg

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow! I always enjoy reading your posts and keep those pictures coming....

Stogy likes this.