Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fly in, Drive home in my late Dads car. Attempting 2000 miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Well DAMN that shoots that down the tubes...

Any one got a dirty sock to stuff in my mouth...

Err Umm WAIT ! this is the interweb.. NFM I still need my fingers at work

HeavyRoller, Hemi Joel and loudbang like this.
  2. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I wasn't going to post but I've followed along the entire journey. The way you posted it made me feel like I was with you all the way and I wouldn't have the knack to post it like you did. Thanks for the ride.

cpd682, partssaloon, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hasn't been anything written like this that I've enjoyed this much since we lost Bob on his northern States/ Alaska trip !
    ( could a used a few more pics , hint ,hint)

Jet96, HeavyRoller, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  4. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I had to go rescue my darling bride and the Corvair. She drove it's so much today she ran out of gas! I forgot to tell her the gas gauge doesn't work. PXL_20211030_230819881.jpg

WC145, Jet96, winduptoy and 42 others like this.
  5. LOL....Thats funny ^^^^

HeavyRoller, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 4 others like this.
  6. LMAO

7. My guess is that big smile on her face is because she's just about to get out of that car and kick your ass!!
    Glad she's enjoying it (the car, not kicking your ass).

HeavyRoller, 61Cruiser, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Congrats!!! Just wondering, how many times did you get asked "what kind of car is that"

Lil32, Hemi Joel, Truck64 and 3 others like this.
  9. 1low52

1low52

My guess is the smile is because the tank is now full and she is free to enjoy the little car to her hearts desire.
    Thanks again for sharing your pain and gain with us. Had a great time riding along.
    Tim

HeavyRoller, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 3 others like this.
  10. I figure with an old car one of two things must function properly: Either the gas gauge or the odometer. Good luck getting that gas gauge sorted out. It's great to see your wife smiling in a car that has so much personal meaning.

Lil32, Hemi Joel, 41 GMC K-18 and 5 others like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

For any of you that got the Corvair bug while reading this…… I came across a real sharp convertible Corvair that looks like it is in excellent shape for sale near me. $9000.

Bones

HeavyRoller, loudbang, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I was very surprised at how many people who I met along the way not only knew what it was, but had their own personal Corvair anecdote! But the old 70 something guy at the gas station who insisted that he pump the gas had no clue what it was, and was dumbfounded that the gas fill was in front. But I did learn that his high school team went to state in 1962....

WC145, R A Wrench, Jet96 and 17 others like this.
  13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The odometer works, but I think she put on a lot more miles than I figured she would.
    And she wants the guys to know that she dosen't need any girlymatic transmission. The 4 on the floor suits her just fine.
    Yep, fixing the gas gauge is definitely on the agenda. It's probably a bad connection somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not to hi jack hemis thread but bebop’s thread a few years ago was classic. He left Canada in the winter in his Model A and dove to the southwest.

Jet96, HeavyRoller, Algoma56 and 6 others like this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone insisting to pump the gas?, didn't know your trip took you through Oregon (where you CAN'T pump your own gas by law) :cool:

Lil32, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

Oregon and New Jersey, or at least New Jersey used to be that way.

17. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

Based on the smile on the Mrs. face I'd say that car is a keeper! I'm happy to see all of the Corvair interest you've generated on this thread, they're cool!

Lil32, Hamtown Al, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, you need to take one of the spare 'vairs and stuff a HEMI up front, right?

Hemi Joel, williebill, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been a while since I was in Oregon but I think there are some exceptions for more rural areas and diesel IIRC.

Lil32, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  20. The thread started on a more somber note with the passing of your dad you did what was necessary to successfully overcome a difficult situation and turn it into a adventure doing the much needed maintenance to ensure a trouble free road trip, a adventure that will not soon be forgotten.

Thank you for documenting the project and sharing the photo's and thoughts with your Hamb family, congratulations on a memorably trip. HRP

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I don't blame him!

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The way I heard it, just keep driving south.

At each fuel stop, show someone a windshield Ice Scraper and ask them what it's for. When nobody can tell you, that's probably far enough.

23. Thought of this thread today ... I was on my way to the dump, sitting at a light and what goes across in front of me? A Corvair rag (later model than the OP's) with a female driving it :) (this is Ontario Canada, not exactly a common sight in November).

It's pretty cool out today so hopefully her gas gauge is working ;)

24. dmar836

dmar836

Great story!

Hemi Joel, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Topless? The car not the driver.:cool:

26. Lil32

Lil32

last time we were in Oregon they pump gas and check tyres

HeavyRoller and loudbang like this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

DO WHAT?????

loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The guy who insisted pumping my gas was in Marshall Minnesota. He said that Wednesday's is full service day when a lot of the old people come in and fill up. I said don't worry about it I'll pump my own. And he insisted that he do it so I let him.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had anyone in Oregon check my tires in the past 40 years but they have a state law that says gas stations have to have employees pump the gas. They did change the law a bit and now small markets with just a couple of pumps let you pump your own gas. The law was and is to make jobs for guys who otherwise might not be able to get a job. Meaning more than one guy who pumped gas where I went looked like he might have slept under the bridge down the road the night before but It is honest work for people.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Couldn’t find it...