Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Allure of the Quick-Change Rear End.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 6, 2016.

1. speedshifter

speedshifter

Marty, I used a 5.57 ratio R&P in an old split housing Ford 3/4 ton rear axle. I took it out of a heavy duty Stude step van, fit perfectly. Greg

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks. I'll pm you tomorrow regarding these setups. If you have a setup like that I will be very interested in learning more about it for a future project.

3. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20210731_164032.jpeg

My grandson likes his!

stillrunners likes this.
  4. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

‘32 Roadster 5676BBEB-3640-4156-8A32-F2C2E9AA4B16.jpeg 3246B45E-D115-4EC7-8441-F9AA7E4D0205.jpeg

stillrunners and hfh like this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@alfin32,
    That rear cover is kinda special. When Halibrand moved from Culver City to Torrance, some covers were cast with the "Torrance City" markings. Later versions were changed to "Torrance", which is correct as Torrance was not a city at that time. Don't know if it ever was.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Was it a quickchange ? I don't think you can cut 10 splines, into an original pinion shaft, that was setup for a yolk. The only commercial quickchange ratios I have seen, are 4.11 and 4.86, with the exception of Winters Xtremeliner, that is available with higher ratios for Land Speed use. My Brother's OT T-Bird has one with 3.00 R&P. IMG_0627.JPG

7. speedshifter

speedshifter

Marty, The 3/4 rear end was not a quick change, nor did I make it into a QC. It was simply a split hsg Ford with an open drive shaft. The Stude hsg was basicly identical. The 5.57 ratio was ideal for my 57 Ford, 406 engine, running on a 1/2 mile dirt oval. Greg

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Greg, that was the Timken axle, used by Ford and Studebaker. I bet that '57 was quite a ride with a 406 ! 15 years ago, we ran a '39 Merc coupe with a 351, on a 'small quarter mile dirt, and ran a 7.33 gear.

9. Gofannon

Gofannon

10. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Here's the Winters heavy-duty qc under the whatever project. Yeah overkill, but it's what I have. DSCN1087.JPG

Max Gearhead, loudbang and 63fdsnr like this.
  11. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20210111_161217.jpg i had to have one....lol... putting it under a 34 pickup

loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice...

loudbang and HotRod33 like this.
  13. akkhotrod

akkhotrod

G'day
    I have a 301 Halibrand that needs a lot of work - welding repairs etc however I would like to save it if possible - it has 12 studs for the Side Bells and needs all the internals . I also has the in/out lever assembly for the input shaft however some parts are missing so I intend to change over to a solid input shaft. If I understand correctly the Winters Champ QC is shorter than the 301 so I am wondering if the Winters 10" 4.11 ratio Ring and pinion will fit the 301. I have done a lot of searches and can't seem to find a definitive answer so can anybody help me with this?
    Also I would like to use a DPI Differential but am unsure of which one to use for the street. There is a "DPI / Winters Quick Change, Black Gold Track Differential,10 Inch/ 12 Bolt" on ebay just now- can anyone tell me if this is the one that is suitable? I realise that there is probably some modifications to be made to the DPI but I think I can get those mods to happen out here in Aussie - just need to know that this is the correct unit to buy. Will the Winters Ring fit the DPI mentioned above?
    I intend to machine some adaptor side plates from the centre to the Flathead trumpets but this is probably a subject for another day once I get all the parts sorted out.
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
    Regards Karl

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I answered Karl privately, but for anyone else that is contemplating something like this.
    Welding a broken case correctly is a $500 job.
    The Winters V8 units are shorter tan the Halibrand V8 (201) but the Winters Sprint and Halibrand Champ are virtually the same length.
    The Ring & Pinions are interchangeable between brands, but to use the late model Timken foller bearings in a case made for ball bearings requires some rework on the bearing race.
    Using the tapered roller bearings on a ball bearing pinion requires the same work on the race and some expensive bearing cones which also need massaging.

The TruTrac style differential (which includes the DPI Gold Track) can be used in a Halibrand case or any of the narrower Winters, Frankland etc. Modifications will have to be made, particularly if you want to run the adapter side plates to utilize the Ford V8 axle trumpets.

This is the expensive way to build a QC! That can be mitigated somewhat by buying good used parts.

Tman, loudbang, gimpyshotrods and 3 others like this.
  15. akkhotrod

akkhotrod

Thanks alot GearheadsQCE. I answered your PM

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    loudbang and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. My Haliband Champ under the chassis (built form 3 model A frames) note spring mounts are only tacked to make it a roller for a vintage racecar show
    upload_2021-10-30_9-57-22.png upload_2021-10-30_9-59-23.png upload_2021-10-30_10-1-44.png upload_2021-10-30_10-5-1.png upload_2021-10-30_10-9-31.png

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Robert J. Palmer and loudbang like this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@42desertrat,
    I've done that install before. You can leave the 5 on 5 hubs and use either disc or drum brakes. Narrow it by pulling the axle tubes and reinstall after cutting to length. Shorter axles will be required.
    Or, put late model Ford bearing cups on the tubes and use drum brakes or discs. Aftermarket axles.

I can give you more details, if you need them.

loudbang and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I currently have 2 deuces with Winters V8 rears and a third on the way. I'm amazed how many Winters rears I sell each year. Never had any problems with them to date.

Elcohaulic, loudbang and HotRod33 like this.
  20. 42desertrat

42desertrat

21. 42desertrat

42desertrat

It is going in a 38 gmc replacing the s10 rear end. I think the width should be okay. Disk brakes would be good. I was looking at the clamp on metric caliper brackets from the circle track world. The 5/8 lug bolts look to be a bother for running street wheels.

Attached Files:

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

There are 1/2" lugs that have a big knurl on them. I have never been able to redrill those damn Grand National Hubs. Be sure the centers of your intended wheels will fit over the hubs.
    I would use the weld on brackets. You can get them for both the metric and big GM calipers.

23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just a note: if using the bolt on brackets, either a stop bolt or 2 needs to be used to prevent rotation, or a weld bead on the cap side of the bracket once it's located properly. A bead on each side of the cap around a half inch long should be sufficient. But it should be mentioned, these are intended for race cars where they are usually checked weekly for coming loose. They don't really belong on a street car.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Just picked this up today. Frankland Champ qc.Got it and a few sets of gears ,will be going under my next project. 20211222_140452.jpg

neverdun and loudbang like this.
  25. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

An early picture of mine. rear end 1.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@Pat Thompson,
    Can you identify the side bells and center section for us. The rib arrangement is familiar but not common.

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  27. ghalperin

ghalperin

I have this Halibrand 101 that I’m putting in my ‘29 Banger. It has the linkage for an in&out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to address installing a shifter? I’d like to keep it to disengage while flat towing.
    9FB7CB01-87E3-49E6-BA73-7808CCA9C548.jpeg 39991B38-F71E-45E5-9DBC-0D69CEF746FF.jpeg 8B69FB37-4AB9-4702-8AF6-9397D03D3CA8.jpeg

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  28. jaracer

jaracer

The last sprint car I drove had a push/pull cable installed on the shifter. That's about as simple as it gets.

29. alchemy

alchemy

2E82B154-C611-401D-B957-684A2D9F4432.jpeg

The constructed quickchange my brother, my machinist buddy, and I are making has the backside all whittled. Time to flip the fixture over to cut on the input side.

tractorguy and Tman like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_2721.JPG
    Mine has 'SCP' cast on lower left in the picture. Stands for "Stock Car Products" I was told. This particular rear end spent one season racing at the local speedway and then got replaced. I bought it out of the local Trading Post along with two gear sets. One was 3.11 and the other, never used so far!, is 3.90; I think!
    SCP were/are built by Winters and I've not heard otherwise. Anybody got different information?
    It sure sings but it is sweet to me! If you get it going, and keep it going steady; it either quiets down a bit or you get real used to it! It's been in there 27 years.
    My pal, BobbyBuilt, who helped install it; swears the QC made noise when he just rolled it across the driveway!!
    I still love it but you have to get used to it going straight for a second or two when you nail it, no matter which way the front wheels are pointing! A locking rear end does just that!!
    Scares the heck out of new passengers! It did me, too, the first time it happened!!

loudbang, stillrunners and Joe Blow like this.