Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Norton' Liquid Ice vs 3M Buff and Polish...any feedback?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Looking for some feedback...
    I am about to start cutting and buffing my freshly painted roadster and wondering which one should I use, hoping someone with some experience can chime in.
    Looking for ease to use but most important best results.
    I have a basecoat, clear coat paint system.

Norton's seem easy enough, which my be good for a first timer like me
    1 compound, 3 pads

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.42.25 PM.png

3M's is 3 pads, 3 compounds. I read some reviews and claims better results but more time consuming

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 12.42.39 PM.png

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a question. Are you going to color sand first or start with the compounds?
    I am not a professional by any means but was told, and it worked for me, to color sand all surfaces finishing with 3000 before compounds. I usually started with 1000 when I got better with paint/clear. Also tape all edges and corners 1/4” in so not to go thru to metal.
    I’ve used 3M, an older series, and was pleased with the outcome. I still have some.

olscrounger and fauj like this.
  3. Yes, I plan to color sand. 1000/2500/3000
    Good idea using 1/4" tape on edges. I will be doing that for sure

4. Jones St.

Jones St.

What polisher/buffer are you using? How much prior experience do you have using it?

5. I can narrow down my experience to a handful of hours.
    Did the bells for the roadster a few small parts but nothing as big as a body, doors, hood and trunk
    I have a HF polisher but been eyeing a used dewalt

thumbnail_IMG_7129.jpg

6. Jones St.

Jones St.

Foam pads will be a good beginners start. https://www.lakecountrymfg.com/ Using their pads are cheaper than the over priced 3M line. Backing plates too. A dual action unit from Porter Cable will further the finish when you are through w/the rotary work. 3 inch plate & pads will blow your mind in what they can do in both rotary & orbital work.

7. Jones St.

Jones St.

8. You have the cheap 3M listed. The stuff in the purple bottles is better. I have no exp. with the Norton but I know many who use the 3M.

9. Thank you. Some great advice!

10. You mean this one?
    Good to know. Thank you

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 4.55.00 PM.png

11. Bill, are you referring to the purple one mentioned above, as you compound of choice, or something different?

Thx

12. I have used the 3M purple, but I am referring to a completely different product kit made by CSI. The vast majority of paint guys who try it, never go back to 3M. There is a bit of a learning curve for guys who have been cutting & buffing for a long time though. Once you get it, it is lights out!

https://csishine.com/collections/ceram-x-polish-part-number-62-203

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

13. Jones St.

Jones St.

The CSI is very good. It is a compound run through a fine grinder for that 'nano' term. Also mixed in a mild polish to further the refinement.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. I like it! Thank you for sharing.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  15. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I personally use 3m perfect it 2 for cutting. If you are going all the way to 3,000, won't take much to buff. I use 3m with 3m foam cutting pads then black polish with a black pad. Race glaze polish on an orbital after that. If you really want to make life easy, cut it with 600-800 wet and shoot 3-4 coats of clear. Definitely worth the extra effort and cost.

16. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tried all kinds of compounds over the years but keep going back to 3M . Keep in mind that most brands just fill in the sand scratches 3M removes them.

17. I was leaning towards CSI but can't get any customer service :-(
    Anyone has contact info for them?
    Their website doesn't show an address or phone number and I've tried the contact form twice but no response so far.

18. indyjps

indyjps

I've only used 3M. Learned on it in a body shop and haven't seen a reason to change.
    My bottles are black, bought them years ago and keep them in the house. Don't know of the "cheap" or better version.

19. We tried the Norton ice package from Eastwood. Worked out well and cut well. Color sanded 3000/5000 and it did cut the 5000 scratches well. Cleaned up easy pads held up.
    We did go over again with 3M Machine glaze as a final and really cleaned up and imperfections. 9B1F8772-47AD-436E-947A-231E5A03D6B9.jpeg E68E3C31-3624-4399-B305-23B39869695B.jpeg 6582676D-5502-4AA7-BD34-89F22F68565F.jpeg

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Daaaaaaaang son! That is sweet!

loudbang likes this.
  21. That is beautiful!! WOW!

loudbang likes this.
  22. I use a shit ton of Wizards, turbo cut and finish cut. White foam pad. Then I use 3M machine glaze with the black pad. Me and my customers are happy with the results. I use 1500-2000-3000. The secret is in the clear you're using. Compound doesn't mean a thing if you use cheap clear.

loudbang likes this.