Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I need to purchase a 200-4r trans,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first few years of those were not too good.

By the end of the run, or with a knowledgeable rebuild, they are good.

2. indyjps

indyjps

I feel ya, 83 was a very early, crappy version of 700R4. It went thru many stock production upgrades thru its life and the aftermarket is stacked with upgrades. I had a dealer "warranty" 4l60e, next gen 700r4. I marked the bolts on the bellhousing and trans mount before I dropped it off, the trans was never removed from the vehicle. Don't know what they did but it shifted when I got it back, went another 80K and was sold.

3. indyjps

indyjps

Back on topic, are there any performance transmission places in your area? I was spoiled growing up. Had a great shop in my town, owner raced every weekend and had drag cars from all over the state there. He built some bullet proof stuff and stood behind it.

Look for that in your area. Where do racers get stuff built.

4. Also what are 9.8 bolts? You know the number on the head of metric bolts is the property class (grade) not the size right?

Mark Yac and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  5. 42merc

42merc

31vicky

Please tell us what info you gleaned from this thread ?

6. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Might check these guys out....have a 200-r4 loaded with CK performance pieces behind a healthy 406sbc , it’s held up well, knock on wood!

https://www.ckperformance.com/List/GM-Transmissions/2004R

also when researching in the past, Art Carr folks seem to know what to do with these trannies.....

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. Bowtie Overdrives sells complete trannys too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  8. Kurt Ljungkvist

Kurt Ljungkvist

I have a 200-4r behind a sbc350 in my Thames and just cruising it works fine but when I hammer it the second gear is slipping, I have heard it´s a common problem.

mitch 36 likes this.
  9. Common enough, if the band is toast. If it is, direct drum is going to need some work too.
    Servo could have glitches..Is it billet?

10. Retrorod

Retrorod

S-10 never had a 200-4R

SS327, Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I thought it was, either way, I still hated the lockup converter which by the way my 84 S-10 blazer automatic did not have, believe it had a 700R4.

12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have a 200 4R in my roadster and I don't use the lockup. I love that trans but the lockup runs the R's just too low when going down the road so I just disconnected it with no problems ever.

13. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Ordered a 2004R Level 2 from BowTie Overdrives last year during their Black Friday Sale. Picked the tranny up end of January this year. Was concerned about the warranty on the transmission expiring before I finish the car, but the price for the tranny was very attractive, figured it was worth the risk. Talking with the sales manager Carra she explained that they understand most of their products go into projects that have a long completion schedule and thus the warranty is started AFTER the transmission is installed and TV pressures are verified by both parties. She told me they have had some transmissions that were over 5 years from purchase to into service and the warranty was not an issue. Finally, I don’t know how many transmission shops most of you have been into, but during my 30 years of selling Snap-On Tools I’ve been into probably 100. Most were ok, a couple were great and I’d have them work on my stuff, and some were terrible, but the one thing they all had in common was that they were filthy, oily, greasy parts everywhere and not a spot of rust to be seen! BowTie Overdrives was spotless! It wasn’t just the cleanest transmission shop I’d ever been in, it was one of the cleanest, well organized, take pride in their work, working shops I’d ever been in! I was impressed and think/hope that my transmission will be just as impressive.

14. 55blacktie

55blacktie

15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

My 83 S-10 Blazer's 700R4 transmission did have a lockup torque converter. When the converter locked, it felt like shifting into another gear.

I wasn't aware that any 700R4 transmission, regardless of year, came from GM without a lockup converter.

SS327, Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All 700R4's had a lockup converter, unless the lockup circuit was defective.

SS327, Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  17. Basically, all American cars had lock up converters from '81 on. Some even in the late 70's Part of trying to meet the CAFE standards or pay fines.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I have a 200 in this behind a 355 Chevy. Got it from a tranny rebuilder in Kansas City, mo. years ago. still works great.

19. SS Pete

SS Pete

Drove a 2004R in a Buick wagon for 140,000. never an issue . It was a 1990. OLDS .motor. the motor went before the trans. Use a 1986-1990. find someone in your area that does them foe GN BIUCKS.. Pete.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had to drive to Texas for my core.

21. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

The builder at the best tranny shop in my tool route said that the 2004R you wanted was out of the wagons. He said those trans had the best factory hard parts. Makes sense if you think about it. And they’re not going for the stupid money that the Buick Turbo stuff goes for!

22. I know this is an old thread, BUT I ordered am TH350 from Monster transmission, and it leaked bad, I had changed out the Pan for an aluminum one and put in one of the Lokar sealtight dipsticks, before installing, and it was leaking from the front pump housing, tail shaft, & converter tab bent & cracked, they would not warrantee, cuz I had "opened" the trans, found a shop local, thing was full of worn out parts, front pump, main shaft, governor, cracked case, converter snout worn, only half of the shift kit installed. Just very poor work.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

That seems to be a common theme with their products.

Ribbedroof likes this.
  24. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I would stay away from Monster trasmissions. Inferior product, poor quality and bad customer service. First had experience. (turbo 350)

25. Budget36

Budget36

I also read about them years back on another forum. No experience with them though.

26. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

How long ago did you purchase it? Did you pay with a CC? If you did your CC might help you out, some offer a semi-warranty policy. When VISA and/or MASTERCARD speak, even the most deaf listen!

27. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Jimmy’s performance transmission in Illinois or Art Carr were the two places that the turbo Buick guys would go for bullet proof 200s.
    They can take a whole lot of power if built right by someone who knows the ins and outs.
    A friend of mine had a 900 hp daily driver with an Art Carr trans. Most guys around me would go to Jimmys because of the closer location. No problems with either of the two.