Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Six Cylinder Drag cars photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 35touring, Nov 18, 2010.

1. 504640

loudbang and zipoleon like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jimmy six, ottoman and loudbang like this.
  5. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

The 34 Plymouth used the same engine I watched him do the first install of a new head he had made for the car He ran a head made out of 2 Chevy 327 heads he was using 283 heads before he cut the end cylinder off the 2 heads and welded everything into 1 head the water gallery's lined up and how his engines sounded I will never forget hearing it start or run at Cordova on top of that he was a great guy to a 15 year old kid whose Dad had just passed away.

Junior Stock and loudbang like this.
  6. cabong

cabong

I started a thread a few days ago called "I met a guy".... He is 89 and had 2 "rail jobs", both Chevy 6 powered, both in the '56 to '59 era. He is the young fellow with the striped shirt. This is from 1956.. His last passes were using a Wayne 12-port, which he still has....... Dicks rail 3.jpg

7. loudbang

loudbang

I didn't realize they were the same person. Good info. :)

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. loudbang

loudbang

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Gasser and Altered class designations changed over the years as the number of classes expanded. With the addition of more V8 classes the inline (and flathead) classes got bumped further down the alphabet. Thus, a G/ Gasser may have been bumped to H/G, I/G, or even J/G. Likewise an E/Altered may end up with a J/A designation as the years went by, even though the engine/chassis combination remained constant (e.g. the Ambrose-Argenta-Huettman J/A car was an E/A car in its early years [fun fact: they are the oldest continually raced team in NHRA Sportsman history]) It gets a little more complicated with the addition of a hybrid V8 head or by transmission type.

I think Jerry Haley used a Chevy six with a SBC V8 hybrid head.

loudbang likes this.
  12. chris bozic

chris bozic
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Interesting, I did not know that about A-A-H. But I guess they have been out there for a while. And some of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Happy to see they put the 5 speed back in the car!

loudbang likes this.
  13. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a magazine feature on Haley's Anglia (Hot Rod I think, I have it somewhere) that goes into detail about the homemade fuel injection system he used on the 320+ cubic inch GMC. He ran the car regularly at Rockford, IL. I agree with hemiman_1999, he was great with young fans. He posed for multiple pictures with his '33 Plymouth coupe at Oswego, IL. That was shortly after he won his class at Indy in '62.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's the same roadster, both drags and Bonneville, over the years with a Ford 6, Chevy 6, and GMC 6.

Ford 6-Cyl.jpg

300racr, loudbang and benchseat4speed like this.
  15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

1955 Bonneville.jpg

(Sorry -- I couldn't get 'em all on one post.)

17. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to correct myself on a few points: The magazine that featured the article about Jerry Haley's
    H/G Anglia was the October 1968 issue of Popular Hot Rodding (not Hot Rod magazine). It confirms that what The Frenchtown Flyer said about the car having a Chevy engine, is correct. The car, which won "Best Engineered" at the NHRA Springnationals, was powered by a 310 cubic inch Chevy inline six. The article discusses the home-build fuel injection system that the car used but does not go into detail about the cylinder head.
    His 1933 F/G Plymouth coupe was the one featured in Hot Rod. I have a copy of the article, but it doesn't show which issue it was. That car, which won the Indy Nationals twice, the Springnationals once, and the World Series of Drag Racing five straight times (according to the Popular Hot Rodding article), was powered by a 331 cubic inch GMC inline.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

19. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Hey there.
    I run a 3 speed manual as per the rules for the HA/GR.
    The gearbox is out of a Econoline with the short extension housing.
    20180520_101156.jpg

Jalopy Joker and loudbang like this.
  20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That digger has nice body work.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Those pictures are from the RM Icons of speed and style auction that was held at the petersen museum back in 09 to liquidate the Ralph Whitworth collection. About a hundred of the most influential hot rods, customs and race cars from the era we all love. while the event was not a car show, It is without a doubt the best car show I have ever been to. This GMC powered dragster was built and campaigned around 1960 by none other than Al Teague and this car ran in the 8's at 170 mph, What a beautiful car. If I remember correctly it sold for around 30 grand