Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge,etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ahhh, but the Beach Boys immortalized the 409 in a hit song.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!.. She's real fine.....:)

dana barlow and Blues4U like this.
  3. But I don't like Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac, or Ford, why would I put one in my Chevy? I'm a Chevy guy, not a GM guy. That being said, why is there an overwhelming amount of early Ford's with Chevy engines? I always see a category at car shows that is called "best Ford in a Ford" o_O why isn't there a best Chevy in a Chevy? Is it that rare to see a Ford powerplant?

Desoto291Hemi and Blues4U like this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

Thats an easy one, because nobody restores or hot rods pre-war chevys.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hahahaham good one! But they do hot rod Chevy's from the 40's and up, and they don't put SBF's in 'em.... ;)

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Lmao!! That's why everybody puts Chevy engines in Ford's?

7. RmK57

RmK57

I think for 98% of the hot rodders out there a crate 350 would fit the bill. Reliable, get your parts from Walmart, wife could drive it to her bridge club. But the other 2% out there are going to work outside the box and have something really different that real hot rodders would flock around. I know I would.

43377448_890193921170633_259477872207462400_n.jpg

8. That is a good looking Ford engine in that 3 window there .
    I would definitely be proud to own that ,,,,,good looking old hot rod .

Tommy

41 GMC K-18, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  9. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I say this with tongue in cheek! Why a Ford? Well if it’s not a Model A, Model B, 39 or 40 Ford Coupe, all Henry steel it’s not got the right proportions so therefore cannot be period correct or a traditional hot rod.

10. RmK57

RmK57

The exception would be a Willy's, Anglia, Thames...throw in a Topolino.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  11. Lol I think all I've done is pissed off the Ford guys. Read the first damn post. Why are you such a diehard Ford guy, not why is Ford better. You Ford guys get defensive.

12. Fuck it, I'm gonna change it lmao!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. There we go, now it shouldn't feel offensive

14. No matter the brand, something I'd like to know is how many members here actually have a hamb certified car, and how many are fluffy street rods :p OH YES I DID!!

15. Deuces

Deuces

You and me both......:D:D:D:cool:

Joe Travers likes this.
  16. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I've had Chevy, Ford,Dodge,Plymouth,and some imports. Of them all I had the best luck with Mopar's. As far as the way the starter sounds that sound is used in tv/movies for a lot of cars. The new small starters are gear reduction like the Mopar starter.

17. twenty8

twenty8

I'm with Brent. They're all good............:D:D

18. 24riverview

24riverview

Not exactly hamb certified with the OT wheels but very few 1-800 parts. Homemade- motor mounts, disc brake adaptation, wiring, MorDrop axle. Sure as hell wouldn't call it fluffy though...
    21414610_1432776870090870_7836677067900797396_o-1.jpg

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Nothing HAMB certified. I like the modern (modern being 20-30 year old) drivetrains, and vehicles I can actually drive ( that stop and handle) on the roads I share with the modern day fools at the wheel.

The cars they build these days have very little to do with the cars they build at the end of the last century, and nothing to do with anything HAMB friendly. I'm not sure you could give me any of that new stuff. Our newest vehicle is a 2004, and it will be the newest vehicle I'll ever own, if there is anything I can do it. Gene

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  20. Yeah my wheels are forbidden, but they'll work til I win the lottery. I like em.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  21. That's not actually true...

Let's confine ourselves to the OHV V8 HAMB era, '49-65. These are all V8 bells used.

Chevy - One bell pattern.
    Buick - Two. '53-56 and '57-66
    Olds - Two. '49-64 (303 to 394) and '64-up (330-455)
    Pontiac - Two. '55-63 and '64-up
    Cadillac- At least one as far as I can tell. It is NOT the same as the BOP pattern.

That's a total of at least seven different bell patterns. Olds and Pontiac shared the same pattern starting in '64, Buick joined them in '67. I'm betting that Caddy has at least one more pattern, maybe two but info on the early motors is in short supply. The late Caddy pattern IS NOT a BOP. You can get an adaptor to use a Chevy bell however for a manual trans deal. You do need an adaptor for a BOP trans also.

Ford in the same time period.

Flathead - Two as far as I know. I've included these because they were popular swap bait.
    Y-block - One.
    FE/MEL - One. Yep, you're reading this right. More info below.
    SBF - Two. '62-64 early and '65-up. This includes all Windsor/Cleveland motors.

That's only six; drop out the flathead and it's down to four. Drop out the early SBF (there isn't many of these left and there's little reason to use one unless you're a restorer) and now it's three. The MEL used three different bells; '58-62 they used the FE pattern, '63-65 Ford slightly changed it by moving a dowel pin and starter location but the FE bell could be modified to fit, in '66 it was changed to the 385-series pattern. If running a manual trans, a FE flywheel fit. The MEL could also use FE motor mounts. A interesting factoid is Rodney Singer and crew chief Karol Miller used a GMC supercharged 430-powered dragster to win the 1959 NHRA Nationals Top Eliminator. Theirs was the first supercharged TE in NHRA history, starting a string which has continued through the present.

In '66 Ford added one more pattern, the 385. This included most of the 351M/400, although some were cast with the SBF pattern. This gave them a total of three for current production; SBF, FE, 385 until '77 when the FE went away, then it was two. This remained the same until they started the switch to OHC motors. In '67 GM brought the Buick onto the Olds/Pontiac pattern, also a total of three; Chevy, BOP, and Caddy.

One other interesting fact that came up was Pontiac wanted to introduce their V8 in '53, but Chevrolet division complained and GM corporate forced them to delay it for two years. Chevy also stole the stamped rocker design used in the SBC from Pontiac.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I started out a GM fan. They had to drive me away and force me to stop buying their cars by building worthless junk in the seventies and eighties. I tried a couple of Fords and they were nothing but trouble. So I settled on Chrysler products and had some decent cars for a while. Once I dug into them I found the quality of Chrysler products from the twenties through the seventies had it over the others. Through the eighties and nineties it could be patchy but others were worse. Since they got bought by Fiat they turned to junk, now I wouldn't buy any new or late model American car. I have a 2005 Impala with the 3.8 Buick V6, the last good engine GM made, and a 2009 Dodge Journey, that convinced me never to buy another Chrysler product. I will replace them with a Toyota or Honda and that will be that.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. If you think about it, Chrysler was smarter than both Ford and GM. After they got over the initial folly of building three similar-but-not-the-same Hemis, they settled onto basically two motors (the B and RB, A and LA) with minor variations, added the late Hemi in '66 and no nonsense about a bunch of different automatic trans like GM had.

... just those whiny starters.... LOLOL

Fingers and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

I hate to point it out, but Ford and Chevrolet came out on the top of the heap after the Great Depression purely because of affordability. It is what saved them when so many other 'more refined' and more expensive marques fell by the wayside. This is not a criticism. This is history.

Blues4U likes this.
  25. "Is it that rare to see a Ford powerplant?" It seems it is. I'm sure I've told this story before, but again, seven or eight of us were touring a few years ago, going to a couple of major events, one in Canada and another in the US. Sitting around the parking lot one evening having a few drinks, one of the guys in my group pointed out that my car was the only one in our group that wasn't powered by a SBC. It doesn't seem to take much to stand out from the SBC crowd. :cool:

warbird1 likes this.
  26. I put a 350 I’m my Ford bus when we built it
    It was built for a 5k challenge and I had a freeby 350 laying on the floor.
    We had to build a running, driving, licensed vehicle for 5k or less. Out of a dozen or more schools, we were the only one that pulled it off.
    Once we were able to install something better we did.
    Not a dig on the 350. Just facts.

27. Budget36

Budget36

Well, since Lloyd changed the title…naw.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then there is " DUSENBERG " !
    Automotive legendary eye candy, that is true performance from a time period long ago, way ahead of their time ! You never see these engines replaced by any brand, other than " DUSENBERG ".
    Sorry to drift off topic, but I thought I would include these amazing machines !

dusenberg engine.jpg

Fabulous50's likes this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ford and Chevrolet may have been the most popular cars but Chrysler was second in sales to GM in the forties. Ford always outsold Plymouth, but Chrysler was very strong competition in the medium priced field, their Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler sixes were best sellers, and in total they outsold Ford Mercury and Lincoln.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! There was over 300 different car makes back in the day....

ekimneirbo and 41 GMC K-18 like this.