Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Best bear claw latches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Oct 24, 2021.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So I keep reading that '49 Fords have a bad habit of letting their doors fly opened around corners. I figure I'll put in good latches before that happens to mine. I see a ton of companies that sell them but which ones are the best? I'm sure the kits use the cheapest ones to maximize the profit

dana barlow likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I think it’s HAMBr @38Chevy454 that produces them.

hidez57 and 1oldtimer like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I replaced Ford 28A door latchs with BearClaw,been happy with them.much better then old Ford factory. But never did any on Shoebox's

Packrat and ekimneirbo like this.

5. I've had bad experience with the versions of bearclaw latches that were sold by one of the many Hoffman sub brands. Doors would pop open randomly.

Follow the advice below.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be going with those.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used his latches in a pile of cars. They work great and are made in the United States. I would not even consider using anything else.

-Abone.

1oldtimer likes this.
  8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

That's what I was hoping to hear

9. Ditto what they said. @38Chevy454 aka Terry is a straight shooter

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a trunk bear claw kit from Rocky Hinge several years ago who, at that time, was highly rated, IIRC. Made in the USA and looks to be high quality.

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’ve used hot rod latches in the past no problems

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

What size do you guys recommend, small or large?

13. If you have room, I'd go for the large.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Be aware that the the bear claw latches are not lockable. You will need to add electronic locks along with the latches, if you want to be able to lock your ride.

15. 1949 Ford has key lock in door, not door handle. Don't know how it's square rod locks door mechanism.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  16. Canuck

Canuck

The thing to watch on any latch is the approval by Govt. DOT, FCC, etc that is recognized as making a product approved for use in a motor vehicle used on the highway. Lack of that approval could have a impact on insurance claims in the case of a accident, especially a accident involving a modified vehicle.

17. Thanks to all for the recommendation help. OP has contacted me (I think, or else another 49 Ford guy) and I think he's going to be all set up once he determines exactly what he's planning to do.

18. My latches meet all of the standards and requirements for new car door latches. No concerns about question above.

Just as matter of discussion, several past customers have replaced crappy Chinese latches with mine and fixed their problem of doors popping open on a bump or similar. Indicating that the problem was poor latch quality and not an installation issue.

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, Carolina Custom has a lockable rotary latch. This is the one I have in my Plymouth.

Budget36 likes this.
  20. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yep that was me. I need to do some measuring before I place my order but it'll definitely be from you

Budget36 likes this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Just a note on terminology. Apparently "Bear Claw" is a trademark of the dreaded Hoffman Group. The proper ones will have slightly-different names like "Bear Jaw" etc. I have mixed feelings about "Bear Claw" having become the default term in popular parlance: on one hand it wrests effective ownership of the term from the Hoffman Group; on the other it sends people actually looking for the things straight into their arms.

Cars with generously-sized door jambs have room for modernish OEM rotary latches. I say "modernish" because the latest ones tend to be overly complex with electric connections and lots of plastic. You want ones off the last cars available without central locking. Look also at aircraft etc. latches. Decent manufacturers will state their strength ratings. OEM units are rated at 2000lbs or 2500lbs, depending on the direction of force.

22. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder when they trademarked that name? About 20 years ago I had some TF Chevy parts for sale, I was asked if I had any “Bear Claw” latches for them. Had to have the fella explain to me what they were.
    I’d bet the HG just capitalized on a common name.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  23. Every fucking over the road truck and most construction equipment that drives on the roads down here in the US uses these latches.

24. Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  25. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

The first two look like the shoebox central type of latches. The third one is a regular bearclaw latch, from the looks of it. Which style is tried and tested as being better? Anybody used a quality bear claw latch and one of the rotary style latches and have input on both of them? If the rotary style is actually better and not just different I'll go that way for sure as I want the best latch I can get But if it's just a different style of the same thing I'd rather go with a proven quality unit

26. Stefan : "Bearclaw" is a tradename for a rotary latch...and as far as the actual type of latch , they are the same... However ,some of the aftermarket latches are of questionable quality ( offshore ,etc)...Do the research as to the source of the latch..

27. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Ok, dual vs single rotary latch opinions...discuss

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Hummers use small FMVSS compliant rotary door latches. Eberhard also manufacture similar FMVSS compliant latches as does @38Chevy454
    HUMMER DOOR LATCH RH FRONT, LH REAR, .png

29. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'm definitely going with 38chevy454s latches for the doors. I was talking to him about a hood latch but I'm going to try and get the factory latch working well first (sticking opened so I'm going to pull it and clean/grease the s#!t out of it). I do need a trunk latch so I can shave the decklid so maybe I'll look into rocky hinge since 38chevy454 doesn't have one.