Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I need to purchase a 200-4r trans,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. so I’m looking for recommendations on builders, suppliers,vendors,
    It’s going behind a big block Oldsmobile. 3.90 gears probably or maybe a 3.73

I’m just looking for recommendations so if you bought one and happy with it let me know. If you bought one and gives you trouble let me know that too. I want it to show up ready to work, install it and go.

I’m probably not going to get into the discussion but someone will ask so-
    I’ve got lots of restrictions to abide to this time and I’ve been thru the other options and the 200R4 makes it all work.
    We’ve got the budget for a nice th400 and Gear vendors but that violates some of the restrictions and my original proposal.

The car needs to get up and GO off a light, momma can drive it and cruise across states.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

200-4R the correct nomenclature will make the search go easier

3. belair

belair

Had one in a 58 Chevy pu and one in a 56 nomad. I like them just fine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Had one in my new 82 S-10 pickup, had the lockup torque converter, hated it.

5. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

This cat tutored me via telephone (man were those calls expensive) back in the day. He taught me about torqueflites for free. He was the man on 727's and is the man on 2004rs.
    http://cpttransmission.com Art Carr

mitch 36, mgtstumpy and jimmy six like this.
  6. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I've never used them but my old boss buys his from Monster Transmission. He said they are great and their customer service is top notch. Think they were in the 1500 dollar range.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Agreed, the guys (and girls) at Art Carr's shop are very nice, more than willing to help, answer questions.
    While a friend of mine also builds the T-200-4R - https://www.scottmcclayengineering.com/ , of which I have two, I bought a mid priced one from CPT for a lower powered engine car. Plus this trans., doesn't need a trans. brake, like the other two do..!

They also have all or most all of the accessories you may need from a well designed cooler to the yoke.

Mike

bchctybob and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

have a talk with bowtie overdrives, no there stuff, good warranty, go to website and read there info on there set up, and pressure cks before driving

olscrounger likes this.
  9. We don’t need a trans brake,
    I doubt it sees the track more than once a year and on street tires. More than likely it will be doing some burnouts on back country roads on Sunday after noons and going for ice cream at speeds that mostly resemble sanity.
    But the loud pedal is capable of 500 plus

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely not!

I went back and forth with them 4-times, before giving up on them forever.

Wrong torque converter, added into the mix, was the last straw.
    IMG_20171109_151749.jpg

They could not send me what I ordered to save their lives. Wrong transmission, after wrong transmission, truck freight. I was so far behind on that project that I lost money on it.

Never again. They were not the least bit helpful, or apologetic.

Spend your money someplace else.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Hotrodderman likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful, they delete the lockup feature. That's fine if you are drag racing, but not on the street. It is a desired feature for a road-going vehicle.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay away from Jegs, too.

Their standard practice is to ship transmissions loose, in a large cardboard box, not attached to a pallet.

You can guess what that does to a bellhousing.
    IMG_20180210_104844.jpg IMG_20180210_104816.jpg IMG_20180210_104742.jpg

bchctybob, mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  13. swifty

swifty

My son had Art Carr of California Performance Transmission build him a 200-4R for his 55 Olds with 455 big block after the engine had gobbled up three T400 transmissions which were all rebuilt units and not just secondhand ones. The engine was built for torque, not HP as car is his daily driver in city traffic. Years later the 200-4R is still going.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. Country Joe

Country Joe

I was searching if anyone used Monster Transmission and found this thread.
    I ordered a TH350 and am less than pleased. Although none of the problems were major, I think the trans should have been ready to go and not "fixed" by me.

First thing I noticed was the bolts in the tail shaft housing don't match. Not a big deal but not what I would expect from a quality shop.
    image000000 (14).jpg

The second thing I spotted was the front oil pan bolts were too long and hitting the casing inside. The bolts were bottomed out before compressing the gasket. I changed them out to shorter bolts. Again, small issue but not what we expect from a quality shop. It seems like amateur hour.
    image000002 (3).jpg image000001 (4).jpg

The last thing is, I ordered a converter with the trans. And ordered the bolts all at the same time. Today I go to put it all together and the bolts are too small. I called them up and the lady said they are universal bolts and should work. I explained, I got the converter and bolts from you guys and they are too small. She just kinda blew me off and said I'll have to get back to you. Not a care in the world. So, this too I shall overcome. But I also would never use again or recommend.

So, that leaves me with a question or two for you all. Seems the threads on the converter are metric as a 3/8 bolt is too small, a 7/16 bolt seems right but, I can just wiggle it past the treads. Any guesses to the size? I don't have any metric bolts to experiment with.

Here is a picture of the bolts they sent. I think they are metric because I can't get a 3/8 nut to thread onto it.

image000000 (15).jpg

Hotrodderman and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

picture of the converter? The Chevy TH350 converters had tabs with holes in them, use a bolt and nut. The BOP converters used 3/8" thread lugs. I think they went to metric bolts about the time they started making the lockup version TH350C, those bolts you have would probably fit that converter.

Not enough info here to figure out what you need, since we can't see the converter, to know what it is.

16. Country Joe

Country Joe

Here a pic (sux I know)

image000001 (5).jpg image000000 (16).jpg

17. As Jim said, that would be a 350 converter.

My first question would be ..how far did you have to pull the converter up to the flex?
    If something normal , then just use 3/8 course grade 8 nuts and bolts from the Ace Place.
    Be careful the are not too long and hit the converter cover...They're an odd size, not commonly available, but it won't hurt to put one (1) washer under the head of the bolt.
    Can't tell what kind of bolt you have, without seeing the head..The 10 mil stuff is very close.

gimpyshotrods and Country Joe like this.
  18. 42merc

42merc

And the thread has gone side ways.

Ebbsspeed and squirrel like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

See if you can find some 10mm nuts with the correct threads to fit the bolts you got, and then see if they'll fit into the small gap between the converter housing, and the tab. they might not. If not, then get some bolts like he suggested...but since you need them to be 5/8" long, really, and they only sell 1/2 and 3/4" lengths at the hardware store, you will either need washers under the bolt heads...or get the right bolts and nuts,

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...vrolet-c10-pickup-rwd?q=converter+bolts&pos=0

kidcampbell71 and Country Joe like this.
  20. Country Joe

Country Joe

Ok, I just took it apart and here is what it is. The bolts are 9.8, the holes in the converter are 9.9. problem is solved . I just need to buy longer 9.8 bolts with nuts.
    My big mistake was assuming the converter was threaded since they gave me short bolts with no nuts. That's my screw up. Thanks for the replies!

21. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy used 3/8" bolts in them...link above in my previous post, to parts that fit right.

Country Joe likes this.
  22. Consider a junkyard unit and build it yourself. Parts needing replacement usually are only the stator shaft (eaten up splines on factory one), and maybe a clutch drum that occasionally are cracked. Also get a couple governors (surprisingly inexpensive) to play with trimming weight to adjust shift points. Add a Transgo kit and that's it. I have done two and it isn't that hard. I got a rebuild video in the internet making it easy. I also get a BowTie Overdrives cable system for the carb I am running so the throttle cable is timed right.

bchctybob likes this.
  23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have two 2004R’s, very happy with them. But, they are impossible to find around here. I have friends who want one, but none are available in the yards or at the rebuilders.

42merc likes this.
  24. bummer.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have gone scarce out my way, too.

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

That 82 S-10 probably had a 700R4, not a 200-4R. My 83 S-10 Blazer, which I bought new, had the 700R4. The transmission failed twice while under warranty. The first time it failed, I was returning from Yosemite with my wife and infant daughter. We had to leave it at the Chevy dealer in Merced and take a Greyhound bus home. The 3rd time the transmission failed, the extended warranty had just expired. I later discovered that GM had a secret warranty fund to cover repairs to 700R4 transmissions. When it went out the 3rd time, my brother's best friend's brother-in-law, who was a Ford dealer mechanic, pulled the transmission, rebuilt it, and re-installed it.
    Some years later, I saw the Blazer in a Carl's Jr. parking lot. I found the owner and asked about the transmission. At 160,000 miles, the transmission had not failed again, but the 2.8 V6 was burning oil.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I have heard awful feedback on them. Same kind of thing. Horrible customer service, shit doesn’t work etc. I personally wouldn’t buy a mail order trans. Have a reputable shop build you one. T200’s are great transmissions in my opinion.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a "how hard could it be" kind of guy.

I tore down a TH350 when I was a kid, on trash bags on the family picnic table. As suggested by my grandfather, I kept things in sequence, and engine side up.

I am in my 50's now, and that TH350 is still on the road.

I rebuild all of my own automatic transmissions now.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021