Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I was looking for something to weld in there then drill it out and I saw that SS lock washer on the workbench and it fit like a charm.

2. Nice tail gate latching mechanism..looks clean.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I almost forgot to address that. If it wasn't for a timely thread someone posted I would have had chains. Thanks for your help on that as well.

Stogy, loudbang, fauj and 3 others like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some days I look forward to going into the office and sitting at my desk. Today is one of those days as I am beat from sanding and spraying primer all weekend.

This is after 2 coats of primer and blocking, you can see I still have highs and lows but they are getting smaller. before anyone says anything, yes the bed will cover up most of the back of the cab but I want it flat.
    upload_2021-10-18_11-10-2.png
    Again, more minor adjustments prior to another coat of the pink stuff.
    upload_2021-10-18_11-12-38.png
    It doesn't look all that complicated but I logged 10 hours over the weekend on this cab! Back in primer again, hopefully for the last time. I also spent some time working over the drip rails and jambs.
    upload_2021-10-18_11-13-56.png
    A lot of that time was spent stooping through the doors in order to sand the dash and upper valance. It is coming out nice though. There were approximately 1000 (or maybe 20, I lose count) upholstery tacks around the door jambs that refused to come out so I cut the heads off and punched them out.
    upload_2021-10-18_11-19-46.png
    I restored a 69 Camaro pace car a few years back and I despised that orange and white exterior by the time I was finished. I never thought I would hate any color more but this pepto pink...it is making me nauseous! :confused:

A much deserved refreshment on the patio to settle the dust yesterday evening.
    upload_2021-10-18_11-28-33.png
    Next up? Let's see...Oh yeah, more block sanding!

Stogy, Moriarity, Tim and 8 others like this.
  5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Good god man, u do not have ice with your IPA I trust. Maybe a little boiler maker type action - 2 handed action….

6. I'm sure the IPA is to wash down the dust, and the amber honey-of-the-gods is for the soul. Kind of liquid zen.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like my fellow Washingtonian said below, the amber nectar of the gods. In this case not gas but rather Single Cask Maker's Mark 109 proof. Too hot for my palate, thus the ice.

And there is a lot of dust to dampen!

loudbang likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oooooh baby!:D

Stogy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found that if I do not spend at least a couple hours a night in the garage my attention wanes. So I hit the cab nast night and got the cowl section blocked back out. It is looking quite tidy! It is a shame that you won't see any of that labor once the hood is closed so let me just say, that cowl is flat!
    upload_2021-10-19_11-6-21.png
    I spent some time over the weeknd on the drip rails and I am glad I did.
    I radiused both ends of the rail, removed dents, added filler where they were low and hit them with high build.
    upload_2021-10-19_11-9-45.png
    The two little holes in the upper door frame (above) are for the Hagan peep mirrors.
    I need to mix up a little filler and fix that small imperfection at the end of the drip rail. The door is slightly ajar, the gaps are better than that.
    upload_2021-10-19_11-12-18.png
    I like to sand the tedious stuff first so tonight I will start on the reveal on the doors and the back of the cab then move inside and hit the dash and upper valance. I realized last night that I forgot to primer the cowl vent door...this is going to take FOREVER!

Stogy, The 39 guy, HemiDeuce and 7 others like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Sandman, bring me a drink,
    get me so stoned that I can't even think.
    It is nearing the end of October,
    please let this block sanding pain be over!

The dash, valance and inside of the doors blocked and smooth. Only the gray areas on the doors will be gloss black, the rest of the door is being upholstered.
    upload_2021-10-20_10-49-1.png
    Outside of doors are blocked as well. Left door is bloody perfect.
    upload_2021-10-20_10-49-53.png
    Right door still has a low spot. Rats on rats!
    upload_2021-10-20_10-51-15.png
    Close up of that area. You can see there is two pink areas flanking a gray flat area. Am I being too picky? I think there will be a ripple there if I leave it.
    upload_2021-10-20_10-54-45.png
    I am thinking I will block the back of the cab and the roof tonight and see if there are other low spots to address and then make a decision. I mean it is not like the block didn't touch those spots, the pink almost sanded away, I just can't get that spot any further down as I am already beginning to break through the primer as you can see above.

Advice? Ideas? I am wearing out.

-Brent-, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Your artwork is a bit on the public restroom motif!:eek:

Atwater Mike, fauj, -Brent- and 2 others like this.
  12. My philosophy on diy bodywork is " you never finish, you just get tired and paint it". And it shows in my projects.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No truer words were ever spoken, and I am getting close to "pulling the trigger"

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

One more application of high build primer and final blocking it should look great! Then you can relax with some soothing Crown Royal!

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Fix it or it will bug you every time you look at that door....... It is going to be black after all......:)

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a suspicion that it will be super straight. Mr. Billy tends to lean towards perfection.

Stogy, -Brent-, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmm, drinkable rewards. Kinda like Pavlov's dog eh? Already droolin

Yes it is and I must continue to remind myself of that "black and white" fact

I am a bit fastidious :cool:

This is the roof and it was by far the worse panel on the cab. Five deep dents toward the rear crown that looked like someone jumped up and down on it and a hole for a spot light or an antenna in the center and another one above the drivers A pillar. Not any more. It blocked out with zero effort last night. What a delight to see!
    upload_2021-10-21_11-31-15.png
    The back of the cab didn't go as well.
    There are a couple of low areas indicated below and a spot over the window that I caused by welding (just a bit too hot :cool:) the dome light bracket which I added inside a while back. The reveal toward the left door had a couple of highs and low spots as well so that got attention.
    upload_2021-10-21_11-36-43.png
    Other than that I didn't like the right side upper door jamb back by the B pillar so I re-worked it this morning, grinding sloppy welds (original Ford slop I think) and a small spot on the dash that I missed. My upper valance had dimples for sun visors? Anyway, it doesn't anymore. Filled, blocked and prior to me leaving for the office I applied more primer to all of these areas and that right door so I can block them down when I get home tonight.

Getting close now. Must stay the course!

Stogy, The 39 guy and loudbang like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Before I went to the office? Dang what time do you go in? I’m in by 6. I’m not getting up any earlier. I’m not a morning person and I sure don’t wanna do body work at 5am

fauj, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I run the place so as long as I don't have appts set I get there when I get there. My employees are there 8-5. Today that means I came in at 10...thirty...ish. :cool:

fauj, The 39 guy, milwscruffy and 2 others like this.
  20. Emerson Biggins. ( . )( . )
    No wonder you like rubbin’ on that rear panel.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  21. I'd be frustrated too if someone kept tagging my project with dick and balls.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well......aren't we fancy. It's good to be King.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have sanded nearly 2 cans of primer off my cab and fenders thus far. My garage floor resembles the Gaza necropolis minus those triangle thingies and a noseless, winged lion. I'm not sure if I have it done or not but I do think I need a day off, my arms and hands are in agreement!

I did block out the newly primered areas and they turned out well. The back of the cab is tight, especially the belt line up. That one area I highlighted above sanded out but I had to switch tact and use a shorter, firmer sanding block (about 10") in order to eliminate it. Normally I would be concerned about how actually flat that spot and the surrounding area is but I have to remind myself that this area is well behind the bed once assembled and will never get washed no less looked at. I still have to hand sand around the rivets (oh joy).
    upload_2021-10-22_10-8-40.png
    Other verse same as the first. You can see the door is flat and the cab corner where the gas fill used to be located is all but a distant memory.
    upload_2021-10-22_10-12-28.png
    And the always enjoyable to sand - dash area. When I crafted that center section I never thought how much tedious, mind numbing, monotonous sanding would be required in the 45 degree corners I created. It takes longer to sand the dash I think then the rest of the cab put together.
    upload_2021-10-22_10-16-7.png
    There you have it for the moment. I am thinking it is time to have a new set of eyes come over and inspect my work. As for the upcoming weekend, I have a bed that needs some gentle attention (truck bed gentlemen)!

Roothawg, milwscruffy, fauj and 7 others like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a bit out of order but I thought I would show you my steering wheel for the PU. I bought a re-pop Crestliner and it came with a black, unfinished rim. I took it over to a shop in Clackamas, Or that does hydro-dipping of small parts and had them put a marble finish on it. I went over and picked it up the other day.
    upload_2021-11-2_9-22-17.png
    Here is a close up of the marbling.
    upload_2021-11-2_9-23-20.png
    Yeah, that's the ticket! The interior will be mostly white and white with some gold piping thus the gold god in the wheel hub.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wonder how that will hold up to daily use? Especially with 8 diamond rings……It’s good to be King :D…Keep us posted.

I was pondering the marbling from down under. https://www.pearlcraft.com.au/

It looks awesome BTW….

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I assume it would be clear coated to protect the finish.

fauj, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Found this on the web.

Because all hydrographic film is printed with the same inks, there is no quality lost due to the particular color or pattern you choose. As a final step, we apply an automotive-grade clear coat to the finished product. This clear coat protectant has U.V. inhibitors that protect the finish from fading.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes Billy, that steering wheel is sexy!

fauj, Bandit Billy and Roothawg like this.
  29. If you need another pair of eyes and hands to check for spots, I offer to pick it apart, my grandpa is probably tired of me doing it on his pickup, lol.

for sure. I got that way on my C10 and now looking at this spring redoing the top of the cab. I just wanted to get the thing on the road.

loudbang, Bandit Billy and Roothawg like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's clear coated. I did the same thing to the banjo wheel in the roadster, had it dipped in a woodgrain finish. It has been exposed to sun and the rigors of driving for a few years now with no wear.

Yes, they use a hardened clear that is UV resistant.

Bingo!

Thanks buddy. I think it will look wild in the truck once it is upholstered.

I may take you up on that! I still have to sand it down to 400 but prior to wet sanding I need to primer the bed first. Even though it is new steel it has a couple of wobbles in the sides over the axle (stamping error). I want to work on those areas even though the fenders will cover that area on the outside, you can still see it in the bed.

Why skimp now? In for a penny, in for a pound.

Stogy, fauj, Taboo56Chevy and 2 others like this.