Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest CRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Oct 19, 2021.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Can't remember shit. I got it bad. I just had the whole top end off the SBC in my Model T. It has about 2K mile on it since I rebuilt it. I got it all back together this morning and tried to start it. No go. Not even a back fire. Check spark. Yep, nice and blue. Check fuel at carb. Yep. I have done SBC top ends maybe a couple hundred times over 50 years. I can usually stab the distributor within a couple of degrees, but I figure maybe I messed it up. Re-stabbed the distributor and tried it again. Nope. Nothing. I fooled with that thing all afternoon. Had to put the battery charger on it. Well, after giving up for the moment and sitting in my chair, I remembered that I had shut the fuel valve off back at the tank, so it wouldn't pump fuel out the disconnected fuel line while rotating the engine to set the valves. I had checked carb squirters for fuel first thing when it wouldn't start. That carb had enough fuel in it to give the 2 squirts it gave when I checked it and that was it. I never checked it again! So, I filled the float bowl and turned the fuel valve on and it fired right up.
    There went an afternoon I'll never get back. Seems the older I get, the dumber I get.
    Tell me I'm not the only one.

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You’re not the only one. I do stupid stuff like that from time to time. It eats you up to think you wasted all that time but yet you did solve the problem after all. That’s the prize.

3. das858

das858

You're not the only one !

Boneyard51, Lil32, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The advanced version of CRS is CRAFT

5. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Your definitely not the only one. I’ll give you a couple examples of the stupid crap I’ve done as soon as I can remember them.

6. Lol i was just gonna say..... shit I forgot what I was gonna say :rolleyes:

7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

if you remember it needs fuel your still ok

Boneyard51, Lil32, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  8. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I've got early-onset CRAFT.

I think it is hereditary... I got it from dealing with the kids :p

Cheers,
    Harv

alanp561, wicarnut, upspirate and 8 others like this.
  9. XXL__

XXL__

Today I was working on the plumbing under the kitchen sink. I carefully removed the p-trap so as not to spill the couple of ounces it held... stood up... and poured it into the sink.

10. I'd say you should pat yourself on the back: you remembered EVERY step to troubleshoot a no-start condition! Good job!
    CRS is when you say "Where did I put my car keys?"
    CRAFT is when you say "I have a car?"
    Don't worry, you're good to go (and in good company, too)

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I got in the '48 today, Started it, warmed it up, put in a CD, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, wouldn't move.
    Got out and moved the chocks !!!

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

After perusing this thread, I feel like I am in good company! Thanks, fellas!

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  13. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

I did one better. Couldn't clear a kitchen sink blockage with a plunger. Ran an airhose inside from the shop, put my hand over the plughole with the hose in between my fingers, and gave the p-trap mucho-psi of awesome unblocking air.

Forgot it was a double sink.

Blew the p-trap contents back up through the second plughole, and up over my carefully positioned face.

Cheers,
    Harv

14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

An to think... Today's as Good as it gets!
    Rite there with Ya..

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  15. belair

belair

Why did I come n here?

Boneyard51, Lil32, pitman and 5 others like this.
  16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, I've done exactly the same thing. And I'll bet we're not the only ones!

17. Policy at work is you chock the firetruck every time you get out somewhere, you'd never believe how many times I've had to drive back to get the chock lol

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

It is said that we lose 3 things as we get older. The 1st is our memory. I can't remember what the other 2 things are!

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  19. Lol hey did you guys uh..... well shit, the uh, you know, ah hell, it'll come back to me

wicarnut, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  20. Along with CRS I have it's cousin CSS
    Can't See Shit !

I did a similar thing, couldn't get an engine that I start once a month to turn over, checked all the usual suspects and it's all good, battery charger on 250 amps didn't do a damn thing either.
    Laying awake, can't sleep, going over everything in my head and it hits me like a ton of bricks, never turned on my super top secret battery cutoff switch I had recently installed.

Screenshot_20211019-220021_Google.jpg

21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have those CRS moments more often thee days myself. My neighbor was changing the cam that had a bad lobe in his old Chevy farm truck. He knows little to nothing about working on anything so he ask if I could help him. We got it tore down but when it came time to pull the cam out it would not let loose. His grandson came into the garage, looked over our shoulders and ask how does the cam come out when the fuel pump is still on it with the rod holding it in? It would not have been so bad if I had not done these sbc cam jobs dozens of times:mad::mad::mad:. I went to the fridge, got a beer and told them I was just seeing how long it took them to find their screw up;) That's when they told me I must have advanced CRS!!s

alanp561, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  22. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think maybe I've solved that possible problem in my shop!
    I opened the door this afternoon and walked in and looked around. Then I left and closed the door! If I don't do anything, I don't have to worry about what I might have forgotten to do...
    Not much gets done, but at least I don't forget stuff. Gene

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sadly, my mind was the 2nd thing to go:(.

24. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hey Harv,
    This must be a dumb Aussie thing.
    I too was under the double sink to disconnect the S trap that was plugged up.
    I undid the coupling nuts and carefully passed the trap to my wife. She said what do you want me to do with it now, I said pour it into the sink ..... no need to say any more.
    Must admit it was on a Sunday morning and my head was still a bit fuzzy.

alanp561, Boneyard51, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

You remembered your log in for this site. You'll be fine.

Boneyard51, Lil32, jaw22w and 2 others like this.
  26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I attribute my CRS moments to too many birthdays. :)

Boneyard51, Lil32, razoo lew and 6 others like this.
  27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

hey at least you remembered to shut the fuel off first.

Boneyard51, loudbang, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Damn Jack. We know you have good hair, hearing and eyesight.
    Do I need to send you a couple blue pills again?

Edit: but thinking about it, Bonnie could just tell you how good you were…I mean how would ya know otherwise?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  29. Budget36

Budget36

As long as I remember to stand when I pee and sit when I crap, I figure I’m still in good shape.

30. Oilguy

Oilguy

Before you go into the kitchen, write a note to yourself so when you arrive you will know why you are there. Before you sit down, make sure there is something behind to sit on. And make sure that every step you take is a planned event.

Boneyard51, loudbang, Lil32 and 2 others like this.