Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When You Go To Shows Or Gatherings, What Attracts Your Eye?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Oct 18, 2021.

?
  1. Rods

165 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. Customs

83 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Driveline

60 vote(s)
    19.9%
  4. Interiors

45 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Paint/bodywork

78 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Make/model specific

59 vote(s)
    19.5%
  7. Design

58 vote(s)
    19.2%
  8. Outrageous/weirdness

17 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Other (explain)

43 vote(s)
    14.2%
  10. Survivors

150 vote(s)
    49.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Everyone attends car shows or get-togethers for various reasons, but for me it's mostly about the cars. So what do you look at in the vehicles? Outrageousness? Driveline? Interiors? Build details? Paint/bodywork? Originality of design? All of these things, or is it more specific? Personally, I'm a 'build detail' guy, but I'm also impressed when I see a vehicle that shows a coherent style or theme, particularly when it's something 'out of the box' that's well done. I'll walk right by the 'cookie cutter' cars, and I really love home-builts.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I mostly go for the young hotties in short shorts.

3. Ya know, I am starting to get tired of you following me around at shows!

mgtstumpy, Lil32, Hitchhiker and 24 others like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

quit wearing those short shorts if you don't like it.!

5. OK, we got a vote in the 'other' category, anybody else? LOLOL

tommyd, Deuces, 49ratfink and 6 others like this.
  6. I always stop in my tracks when I run across a "true" survivor Hot Rod or Custom.
    Then there's always, stopping to look at a car/pickup the same year/make as one of mine, to see what they've done to theirs.

7. Survivors is one I missed, I added it...

And no, HRP didn't put me up to this...:eek::D

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Red heads w/"D-D"s, followed by pre-cage open wheel oval track racecars

48fordnut, Deuces, 49ratfink and 4 others like this.
  9. I checked other, I love engines, that’s always the first thing I notice and look at.

Deuces, Joe Travers, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  10. Well done (designed, engineered, hotrodded), older foreign stuff. Anything open wheeled (oval, road, drag) race track related. Function over flash draws my eye.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Anything unique. I like cars off the beaten path. I like 40 ford's etc but I'm drawn to Anything different.

Deuces, rdscotty and Stogy like this.
  12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

A few things catch my attention: A vehicle that: Is well done and a bit different without being weird, Triggers a memory from the past ( family owned one or something like that) and finally, And as noted above, survivors.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  13. Originality/uniqueness.

Deuces, X-cpe and Stogy like this.
  14. JimSibley

JimSibley

Originality, unique, tasteful use of wild oddities.

Deuces, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  15. Fabrication, Chassis Work, well done welds. Vintage Race Cars, or race cars built period correct ! Mainly oval track but drag and road race will catch my eye as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    chryslerfan55, TCATTC, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

My “other” is because I don’t look for a show unless a swap meet is involved.
    I will stop by a “show only” that I see or come across that’s being held in a town I’m driving through.
    Would probably/maybe/who knows, if I had something to show off, might be different.
    Guessing that won’t happen this year;)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I always check out trucks from the later 40's thru 50's for ideas for mine. After that a really good paint job is always
    eye catching. I look at most everything for well done details.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

hmmm...we put on our car show a couple weeks ago. I looked at the early Corvairs, some of the traditional cars, the early DeSoto, Squeeg's roadster, sheriff Dannels' 55, mark's 1920 Harley (he snuck it in), the Levi's Pacer, the Rodsun, and of course many others that I can't recall.

So my tastes don't fit any of your categories, really.

Good luck with it!

19. Stance. If a car sits like it's looking for trouble, I'll go look at it. And a straight axle car always pulls me in.

20. I typically go to shows to see friends mainly, but will spend time checking out survivors more than anything as far as the cars are concerned.

48fordnut, mgtstumpy, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  21. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I'm instantly drawn to the survivors, any traditional style Hot Rods and nearly anything with a blower:)

22. My eyes wander around till I find the old original cars, you know the ones that have been around awhile. Then my nose gets to get its turn, I absolutely love the smell of an old car. The interior has that special smell that not everyone can stomach, and the smell of old oil and gear lube is the best. I know it sounds weird but that's what I look for. Mitch

23. Yes
    7960DA65-6A6F-445A-8E8D-0A9F52A18CDC.jpeg
    Others:
    commercial vehicles, bicycles, boats, tuners, road race, trophy trucks, rusty crap, Kustoms, 70s vans, buses, VWs, exotics, choo choos, go carts, motorcycles, military, live bands with stand up bases, chili dogs, air craft, cold Dr.Pepper, the nearest restroom, odd ball cars and makes, rich Corinthian leather, tractors.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  24. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Anthony your just a car slut

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I checked Hot Rods and other : A quality build or restoration both have the same degree of finish, and I look for the fine detail work. Leave the hood, doors, and trunk lid closed, if I like the car I'll take a photo of it.

Bob

chryslerfan55, Stogy and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Actually I like the cookie cutter cars like 32's and 40 Fords since they are my favorites. When a builder can make one of these stand out, he worked pretty hard at it. And when there is an original in these two years, that's pretty rare.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and arkiehotrods like this.
  27. Old race cars, homemade log trucks, chain saws, hit and miss engines, lettering and pin stripes, boat flake paint, stupid low stuff, trikes, fiberglass kit cars, anything with tracks, under construction, orphan projects, low riders, roller skates

jaw22w, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I voted other because have a wide range of interests - plus, often will see something that catches my eye that I would not normally would put down on a list of preferences

29. Reidy

Reidy

I am always drawn to cars that are obviously been used. I can appreciate an impeccable build and the time and money it takes to achieve perfection. But for me a home build that sees the road often does it for me. Especially if the builder as used a lot of practical solutions to enhance his ride.

30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I voted but only go to one car show a year.
    I go to swap meets every weekend and there may be a car show attached but I don’t look at done vehicles

Deuces and Stogy like this.