Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid wheels, stupid idea, maybe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Oct 15, 2021.

1. I fully agree with this, even though my avatar has a set of the damn things. They were introduced in early '64 so technically make the cut-off, but I don't recall ever actually seeing a set anywhere but in ads for them. Their reason for being was to fit the disc brakes starting to be fitted on new cars and initially were only available in sizes to fit the Corvette that showed up with discs in '63.

American quit making Torque Thrusts (in any style) for a while, then when they re-introduced them, started with the Ds for some reason. They're ubiquitous now because they're one of the least-expensive five spoke mags.

Cragar SS are a bit dodgy too IMO. Same sort of timeline, but they didn't show up in any numbers until the late 60s, and then it seemed like they were everywhere....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have hashed this to death but late 60;s early 70's Ford pickup steel wheels are pretty cheap and easy to find and it doesn't cost that much to swap the tires over and selling the trailer wheels will probably either pay for the Ford truck wheels or R&R and balancing. Then hubcaps choices grow greatly.
    I paid 10 bucks each for these at a local wrecking yard. IMG_1046.JPG

wood remover, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. I was going to suggest the truck rims as well , but I dont believe the car has original hubs or 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern .

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had those new TTs for awhile, too newish so switched to Cragars. Still too newish so put caps over the spokes! Thinking about painting the rims now...

bant.jpg 20201212_162414_resized.jpg 20211002_084209.jpg

Stogy and Tman like this.
  5. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5

Stogy likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm right there with ya. The TT2's are too rounded, too protruding outwards.

My memories are of the original D spokes and copies of them. Almost never saw any polished or chromed, most were either light gray spokes or dark charcoal or black, both with the polished rim. I like the fully polished and chromed versions, but also agree they are overdone. To me, I like the light gray spokes on darker cars, and the dark spokes on lighter colored cars. Some colors can wear either and look good IMHO.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Torque Thrusts of any kind were exotic in my part of the world, but we had cheap and nasty chrome-plated pressed-steel wheels here which seemed to have been inspired by the TT2, only with a deep dish and a narrow rim which caused any car wearing the things to resemble a lecherous tomcat on stilts. They were classically seen on the ubiquitous Ford Cortina Mk3 3-litre, but due to the ease of doing odd bolt patterns everything from Volvo Amazons to Peugeot 404s were reduced to them.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

How the hell did you manage to attach caps over the top of those spokes?! I'm really seriously asking, that seems near impossible. If it's something simple, then I'd really like to see what the OP's car would look like with '49 or '50 Mercury caps stuck onto his current chrome wheels, where only the chromed wheel-rim would show around the cap. THAT could be a cool look even with blackwalls and cheap, too.

Blowby, I need to know this!

Stogy, Blues4U and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Hey @Stogy ...I know this might become a full time job...but in your photoshop with the ww's and Cad wheel covers...how about passing the wheels with a round of red rattle can paint so there's just a peep of red rim. Always liked that look...showed a touch of hotrod on the most sedate of cars.

10. Stogy, VANDENPLAS and Squablow like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

OK a shit photoshop since I couldn't find a good pic with the right perspective for the rear but how good does this look?! '50 Merc caps, attached to the current ugly ass chrome wheels but just covering up the centers and showing the chrome outer rim which by itself is totally inoffensive, using Blowby's bolt on hubcap clip method. Could also use the '49 Mercury caps which are very similar but have Mercury Eight stamped into them. Sure, buying new wheels and tires is an option but this could be done for less than $200 bucks in an afternoon.

40merc50caps.jpeg

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Blowby........Is that a "bobber" ?
    bobber pq.jpg

When I go to car shows I find it more interesting to look for things that I like than trying to find something that doesn't fit a sterotype. Quite honestly the only thing I care about is that the basic car itself started out as something pretty old.

Ned Ludd and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Holy crap !!!!!!!

Every option is outstanding!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Stogy likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Heck if I know, what's the definition? It's a stock body, complete, if that makes any difference.

ekimneirbo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will do when I have a moment later...I envision this Merc as a sideliner at the racing events back in the day...and then there was Rockerhead with his family Sedan even competing...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shit visualization...nope...you done good...its truly a challenge to make these but the rewards are well worth it when it comes to decisions many times...

My perspectives of added details are off a little here and there but PS proper has a 'Warp' tool that allows you to pull the center of a detail...doesn't always win the day but does wonders many times...

Reflection in caps is important...I did use a tool called the 'Stamp' tool to put reflection from one cap to the other...

I fit the caps to the original rim diameter on Van's OT rims so if they aren't 16" you can imagine things may look slightly different...So I do try to keep things close as possible...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  17. If you're anything like me, it has a lot to do with what you can afford. Lots of options, hard to beat a set of stock steel wheels painted slick black.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A solid base for many options and period correct...

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carguy, I updated the Image in the Skirted post with a Red rim albeit at that resolution its a little lost but I did do it...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...tupid-idea-maybe.1244646/page-3#post-14237734

Black, red or even dark blue would be candidates for rim color under the caps in a non OEM environment such as this...

anothercarguy likes this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Know opinions have been coming hot and heavy but ran across these while looking thru the classifieds. To me they have a unique and very cool look to them, so thought I'd toss em into the mix to consider....if you decide to go the full cover route. 15" 58 Olds 98 Star Fires. Seller has two.

20210512_191648.jpg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  22. :rolleyes::eek:

That’s stunning @Stogy !!!!!!!!

Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, skirts, tail dragger, whitewalls, full wheel covers, mild dechroming.. the classic 40 Merc formula, it is the difference between a car people are drawn to as opposed to one people just walk by....

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.
  24. Squablow

Squablow

These certainly are pretty, but they have a ring on the back side that attaches to special hubcap clips. If you could find a way to mount those clips to the current wheels they might be a perfect solution, but they're definitely not snap-on easy.

25. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, these would only be with different wheels he was considering in post #38.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  26. @VANDENPLAS , this thread has reminded to start looking for some 4-1/2 bolt pattern wheels, 15" or 16" for my 34 Victoria project. Don't have any, and will need some, even if it's to roll the car around.

27. Correct me if I am wrong , 4 1/2 inch is ford or plymouth rims .

28. Yes, 4-1/2 is most passenger car Ford, Mopar, bolt pattern. I'm using a 1957-9 Ford 9" rear, and rotors on the front of mine.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

bobber pq.jpg

Blowby, Is that a "bobber" ?

Well, first of all I don't know who it is that officially determines what "definition" of any Hot Rod term is correct. Maybe Noah Websters great great great grandson, Rod Webster...........

Anyway, by my assimilated knowledge I would guess that it actually is NOT a "bobber" because it has fenders and is therefore politically correct. The funny thing is that if you were to remove the fenders from it, just like roadsters,and coupes, and sedans...........it probably would be considered unacceptable by some.

I think the problem with "bobber" is that it is a term that wasn't used in "the day". I find it hard to believe that during an age where people actually "used what they had" because they couldn't afford anything else.........that no trucks were ever built without fenders.

I know that some people just don't like how they look, and thats a part of rodding. We don't all revel in the same styles. Personally I don't care much for most graphics and think a lot of custom cars are poorly done. Often the resulting car looks amatuerish in its style or the graphics take away from the cars basic beauty. That said, I have seen some well done examples that I would have loved to own.

The point here is that while I don't care for certain itterations of the Hot Rod genre, I don't try to tell others what they should like. I like what I like and they can like what they like...........and I try to find things to like instead of things to dislike.

I find a lot more to like looking at this..........
    Bobber flying 1.jpg

Than something like this........
    BARRISS-SNAKEPIT-1440x1080.jpg

Says it will attempt to break the 1971 Land Speed record. Don't think it will get thru tech inspection. Some may like it, personally it doesn't suit my tastes because its useless.

On the other hand, I love the Hirohata Merc hirohata-merc-huseyin-erturk-new-revised-1614613339.jpg
    and this last picture ........From "Back in the Day" Morbid Bobber.jpg

Hope those ain't Billets on the rear:D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Ned Ludd and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine has a one piece front end, and I've driven around with it off, but the truck is small enough already!

Anyway I thought VP might get some inspiration from my moon capped Cragars for reusing his old chrome wheels (I think I saw them at one point..). Wheels for men are like earrings for women, all have different taste and if one falls off it's crying time. :)
    [​IMG]

rod1, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.