Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not another '32 Ford..Arghhhh!!! Too many??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagerods, Apr 8, 2010.

1. burgetts99

burgetts99
    from Cincinnati

I must admit that I didn't understand all the hype a few years ago. I would go to the big events and see all the 32's and shake my head. But, I must have caught the virus... because I can't stop thinking about a Roadster! (I am drooling as I write this.)

2. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

The virus is called Deucefever. It's incurable. Once you have it you're pretty much screwed. A partial cure is to get a deuce, but then Deucefever just makes you want more deuces. But in the end it's all good;)

3. Topper

Topper

My Grand Dad once used part of a Model A as an outhouse. True story.

4. 30 odd years ago when I was driving Model A's,,I dreamed of having a Deuce and stopped to look at almost ever one I saw,,

20 years ago when I had 2 Fordy Ford sedans,a 39 ford coupe and a 39 ford Convertable,,,I stopped to stare at 32's.

I have had 6 32's and still have 3 and I wil never...ever get tired of looking at them and hope I live long enough for the bottom to fall out of Deuces where I can have more!,,,but I predict that ain't gonna happen in my lifetime. HRP

OzMerc39 likes this.
  5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

why are we here?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Karma? :confused: HRP

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Oh boy- another Deuce hater thread. That's traditional.

8. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I'm new here, and this has got to be a tired subject for most, but the '32 is simply an excellent industrial design interpreted in an era when automotive styling was going aerodynamic. Early designs are sometimes the purest. Form follows function, less is more. It's a great design, take away the fenders and it's a great design, take away the hood and it's still great, take away all the trim and embellishments and it's great. Each element appears simple-they work together or alone. I think a good design will always resonate with people. I'd love to have a real 5 window or roadster, but I may not be able to afford a real one right now. So do I wait and save, and maybe drop dead of a heart attack in the mean time, or do I build a chassis and live with a glass body and have most of the experience a real car would provide? Maybe less is more.

9. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Isn't the 32 the most adored Ford on the planet?? If you ask 100 hotrod buffs which car had the most appeal, wouldn't the Deuce come up 85% of the time?? Probably, but I my favorite is the 34. Just my .02.

10. I don't hate '32 Fords, and yea they have an iconic place in hot rodding, but if I never saw another 32 ford, it would be ok with me. The problem I have with them is that they are rubbed in the ground at this point, everyone wants to build the same exact car over and over again, especially in the traditional hot rod movement.

For myself, when it comes to cars, I get excited over originality, and I just don't think you can do anything to a 32 ford that hasn't been done before, and therefore I just find them to be boring.

Take a look at the magazines over the last few years, such as Street Rodder, Rod & Custom, etc. Every issue they have at least one '32 ford, if not two or three of them, and quite frankly they all look the same. I swear they could just change the date on the cover and no one could tell the difference.

I can give a textbook example of this--
    In the April 2010 issue of Street Rodder, I saw one of the coolest cars that I'd seen in a long time, an Orange '34 Chevy coupe owned by a guy named Jim Sibley. I was simply blown away by the car and wanted to see more, but they stuck it way back in the "Early Iron" column, and put a huge multi page spread in the centerfold spot about two same-old-same-old '32 Fords, and I swear even a meth head could've dozed off while reading it. I imagine that the '34 Chevy was stuck in the back because no one cares about early Chevys, but had it been a '32 Ford built in the same way, it would've been cover material for sure. Anyway, this seems to happen month after month, to the point that I'll not likely renew my subscritions. And, it's not just magazines, to me the whole traditional hot rod movement has gotten stagnant and stayle, especially with some of the attitudes on this forum.

Here is the car I was refering to:
    [​IMG]

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Jim Sibley is one of our many HAMB hero's,....And guess what ?,.... He is building a 1932 Ford 5 Window,.... (just thought you should know) :D

But I am starting to warm up to this "Car Hate" thing,... when I was at Columbus and a '63 Mercury Monterey wagon or a '61 Ford Fairlane rolled by, it just pegged my hatred meter !

(OK,... Not really, cause I dig em' all to one degree or another,.... BUT,.. with Deuce haters,... this is the Irrational, arrogant & Childish behavior we have to deal with,... Being a lemming Deuce hater is so much easier than trying to come up with a original thought.)

12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually think the A's and 33/34s are better looking cars, especially 33/34. Owned an A, a 32 and now a 33. I know the 32 is iconic etc I just think the slightly smaller A's look great, esp on a 32 chassis and the 33/34 have much better lines esp with the hood on. I can see why folks love the 32s but wonder if some get built because that is what you are "suppose" to build.

13. can't we just get along

suppose .... ugly girls with tattoos will be the next flat black oops that would leave all the 32 haters without there bitch????

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

32s are forever an icon, period, I can't imagine anyone turning one down either. To the younger guys movies like american graffiti add to the mystique. That probably even influenced me and i'm 46 years old. I found an old notebook from jr high, and I had drawn a 32 roadster on the cover. To the average "notrodder" just about any prewar ford is a "32 ford" because that's all they've heard about, .A henry 33-34 3W or roadster is MY dreamcar, but I like all kinds of stuff..including my lowly A bone roadster and even my belly button 67 camaros..Does it have to be an "I like this so I hate that" thing?

15. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

This message is to about 90 % of you who have posted on this thread....What in the hell is wrong with a 32 ford??? It was the hot rod of choice in the fortys and still remains that today with most people. That is why you see so many at the shows.....Also I would almost bet that everyone here who has said that they are tired of seeing 32 fords at the car shows does not have one...and prolly has never had one.....So there really is no need to be jealous....build the car you want and let everyone else build the car they want....I mean saying you don't like a 32 ford (if you like hot rods) Is like saying you don't like pretty women.....I mean when you go the the beach Do you get tired of looking a pretty women???....I know I sure as hell don't!......I mean come on get over it....maybe you will own a 32 some day......

16. 5w32

5w32

yeah .....32's are boring ...wtf? i guess the complainers have never tried a roadster on a sunny day...

Attached Files:

17. IMG_0091.jpg Nothing better than cruising the coast in a 32 Roadster.
    HemiDeuce.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  18. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Cruzr- agreed......

....The blue metallic survivor 32 at limeworks recently is one of my favorites ..... Un chopped late 50's early 60's style ...

19. I really like the 32 Ford. I like every one of the 32 Ford body styles right down to trucks & fordors. Not many year cars you can say that about. But that's not to say I like every 32 out there. I've seen some glass cars I really dig and some steel cars that do nuthin' for me. There's no magic there, it all depends on the build. There are a lot of cookie cutter "modern style" 32's out there that look terrible and I've seen plenty of others I wouldn't even give a second look.
    But it's no different than with 55-56-57 Chevys. I like them a lot too but I'm totally burnt out on all the nicely restored, lowered with Torq Thrust bland white bread tri-fives out there. I guess I'm not the only one, probably why gassers are all the rage right now. Any car that is extremely popular is going to have some people that don't like them. That's OK. I like what I like. I don't need anyone to validate my choice in cars for me and neither should you.

20. souless

souless

As a FNG I sure I will catch a little hell but, I have long love cars. Cars of all kinds. I remember this little MG that use to sit in the back of my grandpa's garage and how excited I was whe nhe took me for a ride. I also remembered how sad I was when he sold it. I have always had a small soft spot for MGs even now knowing what a piple of trash most of them wrere (again my opinion). I have just recently purchased a 32 tudor and I was not out looking for one either. I can tell you that even in the state that it is in now every time I step into the garage I get the biggest smile on my face. For me it has always been hard to walk by any car that has an owner that is sitting there with that big smile, because you know they are in it for the right reason. THE LOVE OF CARS. So let each person build what they like be it 20's 30's 40's ect. Just shake there their hand and thank them for bringing out for all to see. Bring your kids and friends remember the days past and enjoy the shows. Just my 2 cents.
    souless

21. 5w32

5w32

gasser 57 nailed it! quote:"it all depends on the build .....I don't need anyone to validate my choice in cars for me and neither should you."

22. prost34

prost34

sory i love a 33 or 34 grill shell !!,so tired of looking at a 32 ford,i love them but its like watching the same movie 100,000 times,most are cookie cutter cars,,,also goes for 66 mustangs and 69 camaros,,

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

A6937456-0FF4-44F2-A3DB-45980728B922.jpeg The problem is not that 32 fords are too plentiful, its that builds are to generic. Period built cars all have parameters, but it seems to me that most of all 32 fords have a strict recipe. Here is my 32 ford coupe, like it or hate it, at least its a little different. I am currently building a 34 ford 3 window in a way that touches on traditional, but in a different way. A4A40AB0-8F9B-4601-B598-A68528DF93EC.jpeg

Stogy, bowie and loudbang like this.
  24. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People have been haten’ on mine , ever since we got her in 1972. Unchannel it…chop it… paint it red or black…put full fenders on it…put a flatty in it…different strokes for different folks… long live the king!! 0961572A-A9E1-46F2-8903-9BEAD6162268.jpeg

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Your Coupe reminds me of the one Jack Nally had back in 1968,unchopped, channeled with the front of a 1935 Plymouth frame welded on about at the firewall. His was blue with a blue plexiglass top. Two owners later it got totaled in an encounter with a tree. Bob

bowie likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

I love seeing the traditionally buily cars that dont follow a recipe. That orange car is amazing! Long live the king!

Stogy and bowie like this.
  27. JimSibley

JimSibley

Some of the coolest hotrods ever built were 32s. Look at milners coupe, hellrod, the beachboys coupe, tom mcmullins rodster was so cool. All of these were well built and had thier own very unique style. 32s are cool, but done correctly, they can be anything but generic.

bowie, Just Gary, Papas32 and 2 others like this.
  28. JimSibley

JimSibley

This post should be a challenge to 32 ford guys. Build
    Something different, without taking away from the ultimate coolness that is a 32 ford. Here are both of mine. The 3 window is channeled 2.5 inches over a narrowed and pinched deuce frame, chopped 3 inches and will have a truly wild paint job. The 5 window is stretched 5 inches in the chassis, chopped 5.5 inches and channeled 4 inches over a custom built frame. The muncie 4speed is in the car with me and the seats are moulded
    Into the floor. These might not be everyones favorite 32s, but they are mine. E119BBAE-269A-429C-87E5-7F94F74CE6AB.jpeg 9E83FE5B-CD03-4332-B492-9A4479BBD21E.jpeg 823FDBA9-07C6-4D2F-8CC0-0977E42C95B8.jpeg 6A6DADED-A6C2-4D01-A56C-E4CFC57FCB38.jpeg

bowie likes this.
  29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12 years later and still feel the same having owned a few cars in between including another 32 and now a 34 and A coupe :)