Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Holley Carburetor ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Oct 17, 2021.

1. bustingear

bustingear

This is an old one and i googled but no info.
    Stamped B46 on bottom side.
    Tag says
    Series:AOD, Type:OAD, Date:L
    Would appreciate any ID help
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. egads

egads

Looks like a 1904-1960. If you hold it with the bowl facing you, above the left side screw, the flat space ( fuel inlet boss ) should have the list number stamped there.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Deuces and squirrel like this.
  3. KenC

KenC

seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  4. bustingear

bustingear

Egads checked that area and there is no list number there. It’s just blank

5. KenC

KenC

I've seen a few like that. Apparently Holley built those especially for Ford, used the Ford script tag and omitted the ID number. I mentioned 60s earlier, but I have one, from a 56 Ford and a 60 Edsel that look like that one, They do have list numbers though, 1153 and 2077 respectively.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Off a Ford six as KenC said, I rebuilt a few of them back in the 70's and 80's. They are pretty simple and usually take well to a rebuild.

7. Ford used them 52-64... IH also used them on their sixes. The early ones had glass bowls. Not a bad carb, but prone to leaking from the bowl. Usually because the screws were over torqued at some point...

8. carbking

carbking

Manufactured June 1960 for a Ford Falcon with 144 CID and standard transmission.

A few years ago, when folks were restoring the 144's, worth its weight in gold.

Today, don't know.

If you have trouble finding a kit with the information provided, call: 573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

9. carbking

carbking

In the early 1960's, some magazine ink was spilled on the danger of glass (glass filters, glass bowls, etc.). :mad: Due to external pressures, Holley changed the bowl composition to zinc, and offered replacements for the glass bowls. :(

Yes, the Holleys did leak; but because the zinc main body warped from over-tightening of the screws (see the quote), NOT because of the glass bowl (the replacement zinc bowls leak worse, as now both the main body and the bowl warp). The glass bowls did not warp.

I am reminded of the picture of a garter snake in a set of encyclopedia my parents bought me in 1957, entitled "rattlesnake". :p

Jon

RMR&C likes this.