Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects When sometimes 11 gallons wont quite make it.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roger Loupias, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Well my 34 roadster seems to serve me well with its 11 gallon tank. At times I find myself cruising on the highway noting where I'm going and peering at my fuel gauge. Not one to want spare poly jugs in the back, I decided to ad some spare fuel, just in case Ive missed a filling service or one on a remote drive that is no longer in operation. Hell, it happens. I didn't want to upset my stock present tank by removing it and changes needed for a larger capacity one. Speedway had a special on their 11 gallon aluminum tank and I went for it. Its now in place and strongly mounted. I added a shut off ball valve and inline filter to the feed thumbnail_004.jpg thumbnail_002.jpg line that directly flows into a tapped barbed fitting at the base of the cars gas neck. Running a little low? Well pull over, stretch your legs and open the valve. Even now I still have plenty of room to ad a camp chair or more with my already stored supplies. (22 beats 11)

ekimneirbo, Blues4U, Truck64 and 11 others like this.
  2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Does the tank have a vent to outside?
    Did you add a bulkhead between the seat and trunk?
    You might be using only as a holding tank to refill your main tank, it still needs to be treated as a fuel tank.

3. I agree with Mike, but that’s a genius idea! Very sanitary job.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back years ago I knew some guys in a car club that one of the members had a T bucket with a small tank and a big engine and two or three of the club members would end up carrying extra gas to refill the T in long stretches between gas stations. One of them said, "yea, go 60 miles and stop and put gas in _____'s T bucket and go until he gets low on gas or stop every 50 miles at a gas station so he can fill up.
    That extra fuel will be nice on road trips. especially if you are making them in Western states.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

11 gals should give you 150 miles ,that's +- 3 hours , I gotta take a leak about that often , not to mention stand up for a minute .

6. There are selector valves (used on trucks with more than one tank) that allows you to plumb both tanks to a common line to the fuel pump. This would make a pull-over-and-transfer-gas stop not needed.

alanp561, Roger Loupias and Deuces like this.
  7. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! My '96 F-150 had dual tanks... 37 gallons total and it had the selector button on the dash....

9. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Yes its vented as well as the cap. No bulkhead built. The platform base is carpeted 3/4" plywood.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Oh stop it some more with the genius part. Just some thought and good plumbing, that's all. I'm sure this has been done before by better than me.

ekimneirbo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that transparent red tubing for the transfer hose?

Not much of what is sold like that is actually rated for ethanol. If you find yourself on the road and are only able to find E10, you might be looking at a fuel leak, essentially inside the passenger compartment.

12. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

That I will ponder.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE!!!!---Never hurts to carry an extra like I did to NSRA NATS in Detroit 1972. Copy of L.A.to Detroit,Mi 1972.JPG

Jet96, Blues4U, Jalopy Joker and 7 others like this.
  14. GeeRam

GeeRam

:eek:

15. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

The red line is the supply to the tank, and thanks for the hose info.

alanp561 and Deuces like this.
  16. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Exactly, there are a lot of grades and mountain roads and big rig passing that require a little more pedal and fuel consumption especially at higher altitudes.....

Deuces likes this.

17. Well, don't expect us to call you handsome, so you'd better settle for genius!

Deuces, 49ratfink, Sky Six and 2 others like this.
  18. southerncad

southerncad

Nice set up, and nothing wrong with the Falstaff cooler either!

Deuces and Roger Loupias like this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

That long stretch of I70 thru the National Park in (central/south) Utah between Richfield and Salina sure must test a few vehicles out.
    I forget the actual distance between gas stops, but with a speed limit around 90mph thru that section, it dont take much to chew the gas up...
    Maybe somebody else could be more accurate with the exact location even as a possible warning to newbies with small capacity gas tanks.

Even know that it is there I've nearly been caught twice, once with smaller tank and 2nd time when they increased the speed limit. Rarely travel that route these days.

MMM1693, Deuces and Roger Loupias like this.
  20. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

The distance between Richfield and Salina in Utah is only 19 miles give or take. I'm sure you're referring to I70 between Salina and Green River, which is over 100 miles of beautiful high mountain desert.

Blues4U, Truck64, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i had a pro weld 2 brakeline size thread ports into my aluminum 12 gal rectangular tank...
    one is 1" from the bottom... [reserve].
    other is 2" above the bottom... [regular].
    if i run out i can switch the gas lines...
    buys me about a gallon... enough to get me to a station or a household for help... easy to do... DSCN0915.JPG

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice one. Just make sure you continually use the fuel in that backup so it doesnt go all gummy.

23. Gimpy, please correct me if I’m wrong, but, will Gates Barricade hose standup to ethanol?

24. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From Gates website regarding Barricade hose-"Works with multiple fuels (approved for use with leaded and unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel up to B-100, E-10, E-15, E-85, 100% methanol, ethanol and gasohol fuels)." Pretty much everything but nitro.

Hnstray and Deuces like this.
  25. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I'm putting it my 34

seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

With parallel 4 bars and a under floor purpose made gas tank I can carry 23.5 US gal (90 litres) in my Model A Tudor and still seat 4 persons.

Attached Files:

Fabulous50's and MMM1693 like this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It better! That's what I use!

Deuces likes this.
  28. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

She's tucked away nice...............

fiftyv8 likes this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Is that one of those glass inline filters in your fuel line?

30. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Yes, can there be an issue with this application? Any bad dealings with them?