Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stupid wheels, stupid idea, maybe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Yeah, some of the white washing has gone too far.

impala4speed and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. I’m not going to repost the pic, not worth getting the thread pulled for some stupid wheels.

for those who did not see the wheels they are your “ stereotypical 90’s cheap chrome mags “

These are the wheel covers I have found

so the Cadillac caps don’t grip around the out side ?
    How do they stay on ?

Attached Files:

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@VANDENPLAS

Really …..

You see things only in one person - your eyes as posting it to get opinions.

Moderators see things in 250,000 members eyes.

We let one person post some 90’s anything, then another guy and another guy posts something from the 90’s and then the HAMB won’t be the HAMB.

Anything 90’s will be deleted.

Tight ship ….. you bet.

Just Gary, Squablow, vtx1800 and 7 others like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I'll second a couple of opinions already given. Short term, caps and trim rings.....long term white walls and full wheel covers. Think the key is white walls. Seems like all of these with black walls, have the same types of funky wheels. JMO.

1940-ford-lincoln-mercury-4-door-sedan-1.jpg 20130415-124802.jpg

jnaki, Moriarity, Stogy and 1 other person like this.

5. I will play.

That is a very myopic view. A guy trying to cover up some of the 80s-90s ugly has been a theme of this board since its inception. Folks get cheered for saving some pastel colored heartbeat graphic custom.

When @bobk, rest his soul redid his sedan with 80s graphics and directional wheels into a custom EVERYONE APPLAUDED and none of the old OT pics were censored.

By your logic, every picture of a car with OT rollers to move it around the shop during a build should be deleted.

Lets not mention the double standard of Marks 66-7 late model Chevelle left up in many threads.

The OP was not trying to slide something past, he was ASKING for help to make his car look more traditional!

6. ^^^^ I can only agree...

Keep in mind showing what NOT to do will help show what IS 'trad'...

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

were the OP's wheels off topic? yes, One of the Mods deleted them. I should have when I first saw it but didn't.... as far as my 66 chevelle being in the background of a couple of pictures, I guess we could delete every fucking picture that has an off topic car in the background and guess what? there wouldn't be very many pictures left.. this place has an extremely narrow focus and is not for everyone, and the OP could have asked the same question, "can I put wheel covers on chromed wheels?" without showing an off topic picture

8. You are correct @Moriarity my wheels are off topic.

hence why I did not repost the pic.

Now, how can I get the Cadillac caps I posted mounted on my wheels ?

I also just found a guy selling what look like 40 Ford steel wheels with whitewalls !!

The wheels are aftermarket as they are duel bolt pattern wheels with Coker tires the wheels are 16”

would these wheels clear disc brakes ?

I assume only way to know is if I mount one !

Attached Files:

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually those pics WERE useful because it showed the rims didn't have the "wheel cover indent" around the edge to help the grippers stay put.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chromed wheels will not let the hubcap grippers bite, maybe if you sandlblast and paint the wheels first?

guthriesmith, Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the disc brakes...is the bolt pattern still (stock) 5-1/2" or is it (Chevy) 4-3/4" or (Ford) 4-1/2"? Let us know what your bolt pattern is!
    The ad states dual bolt pattern, but says it came off a (stock) 5-1/2" Ford...and who knows what the OTHER bolt pattern is?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Which is why I suggested some duct tape; I've seen that work in applications like this.

WalkerMD, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We called them "sawblades" back then, they were one of a handful of cheapie wheels dealerships had the local tire store put on cars to help sell them.

1oldtimer and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. They were called 'directionals' here, there was also a 10-spoke version (usually seen in white on trailers) and a 10-hole version (which was on my '60 'vert when I got it). They were about the only sub-$100 chrome wheels you could buy.

I got lucky, one of my neighbors thought they looked great and gave me $200 for them... :D:p

Truckdoctor Andy, VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Do some measuring on your wheels, then do some measuring on your hubs and rotors. See what you clearance is. Then ask the seller to do the same on the wheels (assume you can’t drive and pick them up). And compare if his wheels would work.
    Another question, is if you like your tires, would it be better to order new wheels and just swap tires?

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

maybe I missed part of the conversation, or the wheels are different than what I think, but I had modern "smoothie" chrome wheels on my 49 Chevy sedan and put factory 1949 "wheel covers not hubcaps" on them with no issues whatsoever.

17. @Budget36 my tires are in great shape .

but like @Moriarity said WWW’s would just suit my car perfectly .

at this point I’m simply trying to be cheap and get rid of the 90’s silly wheels.

might just try and sell them snd bite the bullet amd get something correct for my ride.

424DA72A-472E-46FA-8C92-E2F101371BC9.png

also tossing around the idea of spokes , but I’m not exactly sold on the look.

Truckdoctor Andy, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

I see. Well, if you can sell yours to offset the cost, I get ya. I’d have to have the seller take a pic of the date code on the tires though.
    I know many say “no problem with my “xx” year old bias plies. But at near 60, I’d rather run something I know is good;).
    Man, it’s fun to spend others money;)

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, used tires are a crap shoot... figure out what you want and buy new, you will not be disappointed once you see how much better it looks and drives

Stogy, Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Stock 16 40's wheels won't clear the calipers without a spacer, not sure about the repo's.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. primed34

primed34

I'd pass on the wire wheels. They are a real pain in the ass to keep clean and unless you buy the high dollar ones they are a bitch to keep balanced.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and don't forget about "period correct" Port-o-walls;) I've run them on a couple of cars with no problems:cool:
    4.jpg zx.jpg

williebill, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Really? Then why are the modern, fake spindle mounts allowed?..Also the 90's slotted mags with the lip around the slot?

WalkerMD and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. What the fuck, I might as well piss off some people, I don’t understand why people have to bitch about what goes on around here, one it’s someone else’s sandbox, two it’s a fucking internet website…..

And yes I get the irony of me bitching about the bitching.

Why are you here? All you do is bitch about how it’s not the same as it used to be. Things change.

25. hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. I am the last that will bitch about how it used to be. This board is still amazing even tho tons of my friends and talented fabricators quit posting. This is about current content and inconsistent, heavy handed moderation.

27. indyjps

indyjps

I saw the pic, the wheels appear to have the same offset on both wheels but the rears sit inboard and the fronts sit almost out the fender.

Has the car had a front clip swap.

Please measure the wheel offset you have now and see if what I'm seeing is true.
    If not- great, grab some 15x7 steel truck wheels.
    If yes, you may need different offset wheels front and back to sit evenly in the fenders.

Either way, 15" will look great on the car and give good tire options. Choose a taller sidewalk.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. j hansen

j hansen

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Van2.jpg
    Inspiration 1

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Van_caps2.jpg