Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Woodward fab cast iron English wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bergheger3, Oct 15, 2021.

1. bergheger3

bergheger3

I’ve been in the market for an English wheel for sometime now. I really like baileigh and proshaper the best but they are out of price range for now. I do like the looks of the cast iron wheel by Woodward fab but I cannot find any reviews on it. Does anyone have one that can provide some input on it?

I have a home shop so this won’t be used commercially. But I do build about a car a year.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. He is asking about their cast iron one.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's in there, just scroll down...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

K13 likes this.
  6. I realize that but it is nothing like the harbor freight one that Mr48 is comparing it to.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I flat ass didn't understand what Befgheger3 was asking about and my almost 75 year old brain was thinking something entirely different. Prior to that all the Woodward Fab English wheels I had seen photos of were the welded steel frame ones that are similar to HF and several others out there. The one cookie mix different sprinkles on top kind of thing.

It's kind of like shotguns. You can shoot birds all day with a hundred dollar Savage single shot but That Browning Citori sure feels sweet in comparison.

K13 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Gofannon

Gofannon

Dom Chinea from the TV programme "The Repair Shop" has acquired the rights to Ranalah brand wheeling machines and is working toward reproducing them. Should be an authentic repro by the looks, but he has a way to go.

Jack Rice, mgtstumpy and cactus1 like this.
  9. 5window

5window

I flat out love The Repair Shop! The folks who bring their treasures in always look so ecstatically happy-in that overstated English way!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    stanlow69 likes this.
  10. bergheger3

bergheger3

Thanks everyone. So there are no bad comments per-say. It looks like a good heavy duty unit to me and I like that it’s cast iron snd heavy.
    I do like the Ranlaha wheel but I’m sure that’s out of my price range for now.
    I’m still on the fence but leaning more towards the cast Woodward fab wheel.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Summit lists it for $400 leas than Woodward fab does.

13. john walker

john walker

I got this CentralMachinery wheel for $600 at the Monroe swap meet a few years ago. Harbor freight used to sell this model before they went a cheaper route. Sure looks like the same one Lazze sells now with minor mods for $6K. Mine has a modified setup to swap anvils, probably home made. IMG_0304.JPG fullsizeoutput_317.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  14. Gofannon

Gofannon

Dom giving birth in a way only a man can.:D Ranalah #01