Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical am i insane ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Oct 15, 2021.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i am waiting on my 235/848 head to get done at the machine shop . so after inspection of the rocker assy. i discovered that i need to replace everything . my original 216 rockers/shafts are in very good condition and im considering installation on the 62 /235 .does this make any sense at all . can this damage the newly rebuilt head ? or am i just wasting time trying to save 2 or 3 hundred dollars ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've always fixed what I found otherwise the repair is only as good as what you didn't fix...

Deuces likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Hamtown Al, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

216 rockers don't fit a 235 ....

Hamtown Al, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. The 216 would be splash lubricated

where the later 235 would be full pressure oiling .

I know this does not answer your question, but off the hop I would say no.

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

the geometry of the rockers should be the same? i believe the oil should feed the shaft fine .maybe to much oil thru the weep holes . ? some parts of the 216 seem like with pressurized oil feed they would have been fine.i believe the assym.i have was original to the car ,with 50k mi. and as i said very little wear .if detergent oil /filter was used i doubt the assy. would hae had any neg. wear . as long as it wont have any mechanical interferance it will be simple enough to try it and see how the

7. I won't argue with you

8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

as a rule ,im to stupid to listen anyway . doing dumb shit and expecting different results is my m o!

9. @buick bill
    AM I INSANE ?
    You may not be but I am.;)

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

If you can read the parts book, you can tell which parts interchange, and which don't. But it's not an easy parts book to read.

11. BJR

BJR

Insanity is a relative term. Insane in relation to who, or what?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Sometimes google is your friend. A quick google search will bring up multiple forums (including here) that have guys that say the 216 rocker arms will only work on the '41-'49 235.

VANDENPLAS and squirrel like this.
  13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one hell of a loaded question
    but as much as I want to I won’t take the bait.;)

BJR likes this.
  14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx for the link jim . as stated i think the info is there. im just not sure i can absorb the content . hopefully i will come up with a better solution before i take action .i would rather upgrade than down grade . but my main course is usually do something even if its wrong !

15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well it kooks like the shaft supports are a different height but i think everything else will interchange . so if there isnt to much pressure i think it will work .at least its worth a try .

16. Again if you google this there is info out there. The rockers have different angles both horizontally and vertically between the 216 and later 235.

17. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

ill answer my own question .yes im insane if i thought id get away with using stuff i already owned . close but no cigar1 so im lookin for 58/62 rockers /shafts all/ part , with less wear than mine ! or 41 deluxe v8 mtr mounts and related parts !