Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard motor swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Oct 10, 2021.

1. So my 282 in my 40 packard has met its end. A rebuilt is out my budget. So I'm thinking chevy 250 or 350. What you guys think? Would 250 be enough power for my 4 door 120?

Attached Files:

2. desotot

desotot

an inline 302 would be a better match, or a 292.

3. Those are 2 hard to find motors right there

4. finn

finn

300 Ford six would be a better match.s

5. I would also say a Ford 300 Gobs of torque... If one wants to do a 6er.
    The 292/302 are tough to find any more... The 300 there is still LOTS out there

6. While the Ford 300 is a good choice, it is a rather long engine and may require firewall mods. I think there is a thread on adapting the 235 to the Packard transmission. Should be in the archives. While the 235 is getting a little harder to find, they are out there.

bobss396 likes this.
  7. If you go later engine how are you going to hook everything up? Transmission adapter? New transmission? Is that a torque tube rear end? Are you going to swap that to hook up a later trans? This could all get expensive quick. If you make the stock rebuild a 1 year project you could spread out the cost,and end up with a car thats still a Packard if you ever want to sell it.By putting a Chevy engine in it it will have little value to guys who want a Packard.Hot rodders arent crazy over Packards so not a real future market there.Just a thought......

BJR likes this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Any way you go there will be fab involved, a straight six would probably be the easiest. They put 250's in trucks and big cars, so it should be big enough for your car. It doesn't stop with the engine, you have to think about the rest of the power train. I'm not familiar with the Packard trans and rear and if they can be adapted to another engine or transmission. There will be a lot of work involved any way you go. Looks like a very nice car, it deserves to be on the road again.

9. squirrel

squirrel

What exactly is wrong with the engine? Sometimes you can get a few years out of a low buck patch job...without the expense of a complete rebuild. But it all depends on what's messed up.

Wrench97 and ClayMart like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

11. squirrel

squirrel

You might find a C6 already behind a 300, though...

12. 73RR

73RR

It would be good to hear about the oem and what is wrong with it.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I know where there is a Packard straight 8 that could be had. PM me if interested.

squirrel likes this.
  14. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay with a Packard S-8. You can fit a later 288 or 327. Go to PackardInfo.com for sourcing one and advice.

WDobos likes this.
  15. ratfink56

ratfink56

Hudson 308? Or a Buick straight 8.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. SR100

SR100

The '40 1-20 had 120hp @ 3600 rpm, but 225 lb/ft @ 1800 rpm. A typical 250 is anywhere from 105/190 to 155/235. I haven't been able to get exact engine dimensions for the 1-20 engine, but the 282 is probably about 38" from rear of block to the fan pulley. A 250 is 32½" and a 350 is 27-28½", so not only will the sbc look ridiculous, you may have cooling problems. If you like the way the car drives now, another Packard engine (or a repair) is your best bet. Packard changed its engine mounts for '51, so '39-50 are your best option. All the comments above apply.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not know the value of your car stock or what it would be with a swap of any kind. From your photo it looks like a great driver and a car to enjoy. I do not know the rest of the drive train and it’s ability to accept anything on a swap. A great option would be 55-56 Packard V8/auto/rear.
    If it were mine because is pretty heavy I would use a 383” SBC/T700r or T200r ( both OD’s)/ 8:8 rear with 4.10 gears. Use a Lokar type shifter so it looked stock inside. Finish with upgraded front brakes and keep the hood closed. Take your time keeping everything meet and clean. We have a guy near us with 46-7 Cadillac 4door with similar combo that uses his car continuously with no problems or cares. He has iron exhaust, stock 80’s truck mufflers, AC and loves the car I know another 38 Cadillac who also did the same. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  18. Just something to think about...
    Although we all build cars to our tastes, thinking that we will keep them 'til the day we die, the reality is that at some point we hang the 'for sale' sign in the window and wait patiently for someone with a fistful of $$$ to come along and force it on us. The other reality is, the farther you stray from the 'norm', the narrower your customer base is. Take a look at the customs for sale, and I'm sure you'll see a lot of examples of cars that fall under the 'just-because-you-can-doesn't-mean-you-should' category. The same is true of hotrods and cruisers. I've seen a lot of guys build rigs, sink a ton of $$$ and time in them, then nobody wants them and they take a massive bath just to get rid of them.
    Take your time with choices here: research the resale value of the car with stock running gear, then look for modified examples and see what makes long-term sense. If you decide to modify it, try to do so with the least amount of mods that can be returned to stock form easily, and keep all the stock stuff you take off. JMHO, but I would be inclined to rebuild the Packard engine. It probably won't be cheap, but all the items required to upgrade engine and trans (and possibly rear end, electrical system, etc.) won't be cheap either.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Find a guy street rodding a similar Running Packard and buy his old motor

Mimilan likes this.
  20. We lost compression in #7 its at 6 lbs there rest are at 90. I'm planning on keeping and it be nice to drive her farther without worrying about something going out that I can't get at a local parts store.

21. Old cars are like old folks (I can say that as I am one)- a lot of maintenance is needed. Almost everything on that car is beyond the local parts store. I would investigate why #7 is low- could be something as simple as a bent pushrod or rocker issue, or harder as a blown head gasket, burnt valve or hole in the piston.

bchctybob likes this.
  22. finn

finn

If that’s all that’s wrong with it, then it’s a no brainer to just pull the head to investigate, and fix what’s wrong.

Installing a SBC would be a boneheaded move.

Jessie J., ottoman, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

It's likely a burned exhaust valve or a blown head gasket, possibly a problem with a piston or rings.

I'd look into the problem further, and see what it would take to fix it. It would likely be less work than an engine swap. But if you're set on putting in something modern, at least try to make it something better than it started with....

24. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can fit the 51-54 Packard S-8 engine to your OneTwenty. Use the original front engine mount on the later engine. Packard had a factory approved procedure for doing this swap.

bchctybob and squirrel like this.
  25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, lrc;
    Before you dump the packard mill, spend a little time & research on its' troubles. Before you pull the head, figure out whether it's I or E valve issues, or rings. Not hard. If it was me, I'd *seriously* consider a repair, not an overhaul or rebuild, etc. Just fix what it needs, be happy, & enjoy it. It'll probably outlive you. There's nothing wrong w/adding hop-up parts if you want them, but the mill needs to be in decent shape 1st. The old higher-end stuff was built out of very good material. Repair isn't a dirty word, it's how everything was fixed until the ~ late 70's when it seems everyone had stupid amounts of excess cash available. Well, that, & the big 3 making inferior-quality engines they described as "economical". & the car will be down a whole lot less time, too. :) .
    Marcus...

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Install a Packard 374 V-8 in it. Might not fit, but at least it is still a Packard engine. I am putting a 374 into my 1955 Rambler Country Club Hardtop. Yeah, there will be some that say "it will never go into the little Rambler", but, Hey, you got to try at least!

bchctybob likes this.
  27. 73RR

73RR

A 55 Rambler is down right big compared to some others... how about a 392 in a Hillman Husky
    [​IMG]

rod1, john W., Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

There's a fellow near Sacramento who has a fresh Packard 327 straight 8 for $1000.00 That's a super good deal for a bolt in! Keep your Packard's value & unique-ness!

Chili Phil likes this.
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jessie J. likes this.