Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need trunk hinge help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reman, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Hey guys . Got a question and hoping for a fairly quick answer. I have a 1938 Dodge sedan with a broken left hand (pass side) trunk lid hinge. I can get one right now for about 25 bucks, but it is said to be right side specific. On
    the back of it it says "RIGHT HAND LEAF". I can find no difference at all between L and R. Are they interchangable? Thanks

2. I'd spend the twenty five and hope it will work. If you miss the chance to buy it, then what are you going to do?

Just my way.

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

If it is right hand only you still might be able to make it work by using parts from your bad hinge and the new. You may not get one any other way it ain’t a Ford or Chevy you sometimes have to reengineer things on these old cars my avatar 41 olds has a lot of stuff that way

4. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I think the right hand hinge will be a tiny bit taller on the right side , and the left will be taller on the left side. I don't think it will fit flush to the body. I'll look tomorrow , I've got a pair for a 37 Plymouth and may have an extra.

5. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

The passenger side is the right hand side. Left and right of a car is determined by sitting in the driver's seat.

6. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Oh !! I made a stupid mistake in my post. I need the left.......driver side hinge. Don't know why I didn;t catch that before I posted. I did not notice it till I read metimunchr's post just above this. I know which side is which, and wondered why he posted that. Then I reread my original post again............ahhhhggieh, lol. Thanks metimunchr

5window likes this.
  7. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Hi, did you happen to find the extra hinge yet?

8. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Yeah, I know. Just a dumb mistake in my post. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. "I've got a pair for a 37 Plymouth and may have an extra".

@carolina chevrolet , any luck on the Plymouth hinge?

10. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Not yet.

11. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Well, carolina chevrolet, never responded back so I went ahead and purchased the one I first referenced. I will just hope that I can find a way to make it work, if there is indeed a difference between R and L.

pprather likes this.
  12. SteveR39

SteveR39

Do you still have the 1937 plymouth trunk hinge? I need the L.H. one

13. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Wow, its been over a year since I made this original post. I did buy the RH one, and it did not fit, as some advised. I am guessin that carolina chevrolet maybe found his and sold to someone else, since I never got any response from him. My car is a 38 Dodge sedan and I need the driver side trunk hinge. Can anyone offer any direction on finding one? The car is just an unrestored driver, so appearance isn't very important, just functionality.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe a pic of your broken hinge might help someone offer repair options.