Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 Ford Shoebox Hood Hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

FOUND SOME
    OK OK, won't bother asking about finding a pair....
    But does anyone know of an aftermarket outfit that makes new ones. Or any info on how to rebuild them ?
    And yes, I have searched the internet ... :(
    Thanks much

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 1950 Ford was advertised as being improved in 50 ways. Maybe use 1950 hinges?

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  3. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Chris at shoebox centeral may have some

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for all the suggestions...
    Got a really nice pair of '49 hinges this morning.
    Traded for them.
    The fellow I got them from brought them down to make the switch driving this awesome '49 :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

flatheadpete, leon bee and D type like this.

5. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Nice looking 49 I had one once

6. I'm sorry to tell you that 49 hinges are absolute crap. Ford engineers made TWO big mistakes. If you look closely at the hood the reinforcement along the edge stops just before the front edge of the hinges. Don't be surprised if you see a tiny crack right there. The second mistake is the configuration of the profile of the back edge swing just as you open the hood because the back of the hood will eat into the little lip every time you open the hood. The only way to fix it is to use 50 or 51 hinges. It took a while for me to finally find some on the internet but it's possible if you just try. And on my website I show you exactly how to do it!

https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Hood-Hinges-Retrofit-49-to-505

alanp561 likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Ford hood hinges from 1949 to 1954 are all crap. They bend, won't hold the hood up, and are a bummer to change. But that's just me. :D

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great!!! I have an extra set of ‘51 hinges I was prepared to send. Glad you found a set!

lo c dan likes this.
  9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Appreciate the comments..
    I am buying a '50 Hood for it, and plan on doing some revising to make them work as best I can.

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

PM SENT :)

11. '49 thru '51 hinges do NOT hold the hood up. They are held up with a tilt up rod. Educate yourself.

sidewayzz69 and alanp561 like this.
  12. MicahThompson

MicahThompson

Hey guys, new to the shoebox world. Just purchased 49’ that was featured on the show Detroit Muscle “Project Banana Split”. The hinges on the car are trashed. And the hood support is bent and has a tear in the metal. Planning on reforming and support to the hood support. But need help with the hinges. Current ones are held together with ARP stainless bolts. The threads are wallowing out the pivot points. FYI, TV production cars are slapped together. Loads of work need on the one. But still a cool hotrod. Pics and updates to come with the hood support. Looking for a set of hinges. Hit me up guys. Thanks.

13. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Go with 50 ford hinges

14. Edit: Oops, I didn't notice that this was the tail end of an ongoing thread and I'd already posted what I posted below... Oh well I've already done it..... A note to the OP; You might start a new thread....

Congratulations!!! I got my second '49 Shoebox in 2011, finally finished it three years ago...I have a website where I've documented just about every phase of rebuilding the car. The Ford engineers really screwed up on the design of the 49 hinges but they corrected them in 50 and 51. The four bolts for the hood hinges are supposed to have a shoulder on them that's a little bit thicker than the thickness of the hinges and they are supposed to have drilled holes through the heads so that you can safety wire them to keep them in. One of the 50 plus galleries on my website addresses how to unscrew the situation. I'm sure you will be having conversations with Chris at Shoebox Central in Oklahoma a lot. You might add a "want to buy" in the classifieds here.

Here is the link to the hood hinge retrofit gallery and if you tap on the home button in the upper left it will take you to the homepage where there are about 60 other galleries with over a thousand videos and pictures of building The Judge!

https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Hood-Hinges-Retrofit-49-to-505/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  15. MicahThompson

MicahThompson

Thanks for the advice, nice little site to document your progress

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  16. Do you think you're going to need that template to straighten your hood edges? It should be used anyway in order to hold it in position while you weld in the new supports. It's for sale.

17. MicahThompson

MicahThompson

I appreciate the template, but I should be good getting everything inline. Not my first rodeo with hood, door and body panel alignment. Just my first shoebox.

18. Except that when you cut out the rib to weld in another one it gets very flimsy.., and the welding..