Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Traffic Light Viewer Fail

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Interesting, that brings up two thoughts. 1 is you could make one on a pivot or 2 piece arm to move it out of the way when not in use or sun is hitting it. The second is that stop lights around here have an upper and lower light, I kinda thought it was that way across the country (except in real small areas). I've always used the lower light in most cars when near the front of the line.

stop light-1.jpg

2. Must be a California thing.

SS327, milwscruffy and Stogy like this.
  3. AZ, NV, TX are similar, but only in Major towns it looks like (that's all I could check as lunch is over). Well, you learn something new when you don't travel :).

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure do...I was always under the impression it pics up the color and illuminates as green or red without hunching down and moving forward...and yes it's not about orientation of the lights...it really doesn't matter what orientation it is if you can't see either due to sheetmetal in the way...

The Shift Wizard and egads like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 5window...I'm surprised this works why?...because the reason we can't see is because of angle of view...but technically that is like sticking your eyes a couple inches from the window, do you have a visor? If you don't I could see it working okay...I have one so mounted there it would be impeded depending on light position...that's why the low mount in its general OEM location...

Where's your rear view mirror?...just an OT observation...

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I see those lower lights in some large cities like Atlanta and Nashville. Not many out of those major areas though.

But what about states like FL and TX that have a lot of lights that don't hang down, they run sideways? Red on the left, green on the right? How would they look in one of those viewers?

I used to deliver in a small town in TN, Jamestown, that had a hanging light that was upside down! Green on top, red on the bottom! Story was a truck hit the light and knocked it off, breaking the hanger, so they just hung it back up, upside down! It's since been replace with new style lights, but it sure was confusing as hell when it was there!

catdad49, Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still think the main focus of these viewers is the Color being presented...showing up as a glowing green or red in the viewer, I can just see myself squinting to see the light in its distorted miniature size 2 feet from your eyes...trying to figure out what's lit...

egads likes this.
  8. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Works great on my Model A. I didn’t realize how much the small visor can block out especially if you are at the front of the line.

catdad49, -Brent- and Stogy like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's me. I'm colorblind, have what is called a red-green deficient. I see some shades of red and green, but some shades I can't tell them from similar colors like brown. For example, most street lights look white to me at night, as does green traffic signals, so I go by where the light is to tell what it is. If I don't see the change from red to green, it can be confusing at times. I suspect looking at that tiny image on that viewer would confuse me even more....

Blues4U, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha...I'm majorly Colorblind myself...I even joke sometimes about knowing to go when the bottom lights lit...:eek:

I see colors but the green I see won't be what others without CB see

catdad49 likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

I do have a visor, still works fine. I have hinge mounted rear view mirrors on both sides

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny that thing looks like an Salute to Star Trek space travel...nano nano...:D

266-2661522_communicator-badge-from-star-trek-crescent.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Steve, would you mind posting where you mounted yours?

I really don't want anything else on my dash or in my view but this might be a necessary nuisance.

I wish I had grabbed one of those stoplight viewer films that were mostly clear and put on the glass, no frames or glass or mounts, just a 3x5-ish "lens" film. The product never took off and the guy stopped selling them but the few folks I knew with them, loved them.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Had one on my 51 caddy Coupe de Ville along with a bright light dimmer that dimmed the lights in the city & for on coming cars automatically ,town & country radio ,power antenna, chrome skirts,& I cannot remember all the other luxuries caddy had in 51. I sadly about 8' up an old oak tree one night. Hit so hard it buckled the rear fenders @ the top of the 1/4s.

Stogy likes this.
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

alanp561, da34guy, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  16. Google lightnsight they are still in business, Just bought 3 of em last month

17. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

C6084B99-36C5-42A5-A144-3E6B8E2F0335.jpeg

Here you go Brent. It’s a little dark in the garage but you can see where I mounted it. I removed one of the dash screws and replaced it with the viewer. It’s not in the way and you can adjust the height and angle. Works great.

Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  18. At 6'1" i've spent years in certain vehicles leaning over the wheel to see when the light changes.
    You learn something new everyday.
    Cheers Squirrel

Stogy likes this.
  19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I've had the Light in Sight on my Willys a couple years now. Works great.

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When your sun visor blocks your view of the traffic light, these pick up the image so you can see it. They probably wouldn't work for you though, being as you guys drive on the wrong side of the road;)

21. I too ordered one of these KNS Accessories KC3032 Deluxe Traffic Light Viewer off of Amazon, suppose to get here tomorrow and will let you all know how it works. For my Model A Vicky project and was having a hard time figuring out how to mount this that my Dad borrowed from his M-6 tank in WWII... 103_1068.JPG 103_1069.JPG

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would think that if you had a poorly made plastic one, why not take it apart and sand it smooth with progressively finer sandpaper and buff it to make it work? I remember also seeing a car that used a prismatic screen made for the rear window of a RV that was cut down and attached to his windshield.

Stogy and The Shift Wizard like this.
  23. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

That's basically what the Light In Sight one is.

Stogy likes this.
  24. I don't believe sanding down a 1/8" deep ditch on each side of the compound curved lens would result in any kind of proper optics. :confused:
    I have used the thin, stick-on viewer in an off-topic vehicle with good results so I agree with you there. But in this case, I want a classic and proven accessory in my classic truck.
    >>>>The new piece from KNS Accessories KC3032 arrived this afternoon (fast delivery from Amazon) and I'm happy to report that I can endorse this one. It's very like the ones that impressed me as a kid back in the 1950s. The "Brand X" one also had a weak magnet in the base and this one, while no 'rare earth magnet', is adequate on a flat dash.
    Exhibit Photo A is the United Pacific product that disappointed.......
    Exhibit Photo B is the one from KNS Accessories, "under license from GM". (second photo).......
    The difference is night and day.

Photo A, United Pacific......
    DSCN2328.JPG

Photo B, KNS Accessories........
    DSCN2344.JPG

Whoever the Guide feller was that developed the original Traffic Light Viewer, he must be rolling over in his grave every time one of those Brand X lumps are sold. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  25. egads

egads

On my Model A I removed the lower left trim screw and put it in there. Works fine.[​IMG]

blowby, 5window, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow. What a difference.

This is a great thread.

35desoto, Joe Blow, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

This is my original Fulton....works great.

DSC01266.JPG

kadillackid, Stogy, egads and 2 others like this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have an OEM Guide in my pickup. It is starting to get crazed on the surface, making the image less clear, but it is still useful on a 3" chop top cab.

ins04.jpg

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

For all types of drivers, these are just gimmicks and are/were accessories. Who would rely on a device to see ahead for a traffic light. Our old Driver Ed Teacher told us in high school that a clean windshield and a wide awake driver was all there is to safe driving. Now that the greenhouse glass is all around us in our old and new cars, it gives the feeling that you are always looking around to stay safe.

If anyone is looking into a small odd ball distorted vision object, then you are taking your eyes off of the road and everything that is around you. That in itself is a danger to you and to others. We all know that the lights are where they are and with the new, latest traffic light reflecting ring of color around the stop lights, that should keep one’s eyes focused. Besides most intersections have a stop light in direct sight of the drivers in the lanes.

Jnaki

Those traffic light viewers are just accessories that one would not rely on for acknowledging that there are traffic lights in the area. Originally an accessory for cars with visors. These days, visors hinder total all around awareness of traffic, moving or stopped and includes pedestrians. The viewers may look interesting, but your vision forward and all around will be hindered by something moving right in the whole picture. You may like them, but they do not make a safe driver out of anyone.

Some people like driving around in chopped top cars and others like big visors. But, those are things that the drivers have to work around to be safe and have clear vision of the surrounding cars/people. A “defensive zone” all around us, as the Driver Ed Teacher used to say… YRMV

Stogy likes this.
  30. -Brent-

-Brent-

Joe, where does yours sit in your A?

Stogy likes this.